abdus

Extending Template-Field contexts to increase field reuse

Based on this forum post, I wanted to find a more elegant solution for changing a field's settings per template. Hooking the page editor after it generates the form works and may still be needed for more complex modifications. But using field & template context, it's easier to modify the field settings and it greatly reduces the need for creating an almost identical field just to adjust a few things.

In my blog post, I've written on how to extend contextual options to allow any fieldtype / inputfield settings to be changed depending on the template. Hope you find it useful, and if you have any questions or comments, feel free to post them here.

https://abdus.co/blog/doing-more-with-fewer-fields-in-processwire/

• Like 14

very interesting article and very well put together.

i'm wondering why for example the maxfiles setting for images fields is not activated by default for template context. any ideas on this?

• Like 1

From @ryan in this blog post

But thus far, it has been limited to predefined properties: field label, description, visibility, column width, and required state. I've been reluctant to go further than that, because I think there's a fine line between what's useful and what's problematic here. Taken too far, you could easily end up with a confusing mess. Ultimately, the best ones to determine what's useful for field/template context and what's not, are the developers of Fieldtypes and Inputfields. 

• Like 1

yeah, he is the developer of the images fieldtype... so the question is why he thinks it would be bad to handle allowed extensions and maxfile settings in a template context?!

1 minute ago, bernhard said:

yeah, he is the developer of the images fieldtype... so the question is why he thinks it would be bad to handle allowed extensions and maxfile settings in a template context?!

Personal preference, I should think, but he also gave us (well, those of us skilled enough to take advantage) the tools to change that behaviour. ^-^

• Like 1

Hi @abdus,

Do you know if it's possible to use this technique to add config fields such as minWidth and maxWidth to the template context for InputfieldImage? My first attempt isn't working:

// Add more image config fields to template context
$this->addHookMethod('InputfieldImage::getConfigAllowContext', function (HookEvent $e) {
    $allowables = ['minWidth', 'minHeight', 'maxWidth', 'maxHeight'];
    $e->return = array_merge($e->return, $allowables);
});

I have a feeling that the reason this doesn't work is because those config fields are inside a fieldset. Adding the whole fieldset would be fine, but the problem is that the fieldset doesn't have a name to add to getConfigAllowContext().

Any ideas?

-----

EDIT: have sussed it out. I used another hook to give names to those fieldsets.

// Give names to image config fieldsets
$wire->addHookAfter('InputfieldImage::getConfigInputfields', function(HookEvent $event) {
    /* @var InputfieldWrapper $wrapper */
    $wrapper = $event->return;
    $f = $wrapper->getChildByName('maxWidth');
    $fieldset = $f->parent;
    $fieldset->name = 'maxDimensions';
    $f = $wrapper->getChildByName('minWidth');
    $fieldset = $f->parent;
    $fieldset->name = 'minDimensions';
});

// Add more image config fields to template context
$this->addHookMethod('InputfieldImage::getConfigAllowContext', function (HookEvent $e) {
    $allowables = ['maxDimensions', 'minDimensions'];
    $e->return = array_merge($e->return, $allowables);
});

• Like 7

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By DV-JF
      Hey all, hope you're feeling well these days!
      Short question: Under "Setup > Templates" it's possible to sort the templates by last modified. Is this possible for fields view to?
      Long explanation:
      Currently I am in the process of programming a reusable template and often have to copy several fields & templates from different PW installations into my "master version".
      Therefore it would be good to see already in the field list when the last modification has taken place.
      Stay healthy & don't forget to wash you hands - many greets!
    • By Lmwt
      Hi forum,
      I have this list of fields with labels and I want to skip the displaying of labels for fields left empty (e.g. if field "logo" is not filled with an image, but it could also be text fields). Using count() and "continue" will always output either nothing or all labels.
      Is there a way to use the "skipLabel" method in the loop?
      foreach ($page->template->fields as $field) { if(!count($page->$field->logo)) {continue;} else { $etikette = $field->getLabel(); //get label in the current user language $content .= " <br><li class='pub-field'>$etikette<br> </li>"; //display labels as li $content .= $page->get($field->name) . "<br>"; // display values as li } } Thanks for your help!
    • By Lmwt
      Hello,
      and one more beginner question: I am using the multi-language site profile and having troubles targeting the region I want to populate in my templates due to delayed output. The list is now appearing on top of the nav bar 🙂 and the values of the fields on one line down the title. I want these fields to be displayed in a list underneath the title of the page, and I also would like the name of the field to be displayed as a string in front of the value... I dont know how to do this. Can someone help?
      right now my code looks like this: 
      <?php namespace ProcessWire;?> <!DOCTYPE html> <html> <li class="Pub-profile-info"><?php $content .=page()->Location?></li> <li class="Pub-profile-info"><?php $content .=page()->Pub_country?></li> <li class="Pub-profile-info"><?php $content .=page()->Since?></li> <li class="Pub-profile-info"><?php $content .=page()->Contact?></li> <li class="Pub-profile-info"><?php $content .=page()->Focus?></li> <li class="Pub-profile-info"><?php $content .=page()->Members?></li> <li class="Pub-profile-info"><?php $content .=page()->Location?></li> <li class="Pub-profile-info"><?php $content .=page()->Decision_making?></li> <li class="Pub-profile-info"><?php $content .=page()->Financing?></li> <li class="Pub-profile-info"><?php $content .=page()->History?></li> <li class="Pub-profile-info"><?php $content .=page()->images?></li> <li class="Pub-profile-info"><?php $content .=page()->logo?></li> </html> and the screen looks like that:
      Thanks for helping!

• By louisstephens
      So I was tinkering around with the "select fields" field type and added it to a repeater. My thoughts were I could have a user select a field (textarea, text, etc etc) that I defined and give it a name (another field in the repeater) and create their own form on the page. To be honest, I am now a little lost with rendering the form and mailing the results as potentially the form will be unique and custom every time.  The only way I know to handle the output is by going about it this way:
      $forms = $page->form_select_fields; foreach($forms as $form) { if($form->name === "form_input") { //output input with custom name } elseif($form->name === "form_textarea") { //output input with custom name } } Is there a better way to go about rendering the elements from the repeater? As far as the custom sending goes, I am really at a loss since it would be pretty dynamic. Has anyone used this type of approach, and if so, how did you handle this without going insane?
    • By NorbertH
      I have trouble exporting fields via the buildin export. 
      For example when i export a single field  i get:
      { "bestellung_status_name": { "id": 194, "type": "FieldtypeText", "flags": 0, "name": "bestellung_status_name", "label": "Status Intern", "textformatters": [ "TextformatterEntities" ], "collapsed": 0, "minlength": 0, "maxlength": 100, "showCount": 0, "size": 0, "pattern": "[a-z\\A-Z\\(\\)]+", "showIf": "", "themeInputSize": "", "themeInputWidth": "", "themeOffset": "", "themeBorder": "", "themeColor": "", "themeBlank": "", "columnWidth": 100, "required": "", "requiredAttr": "", "requiredIf": "", "stripTags": "", "placeholder": "" } } exporting a secon single field i get :
      { "bestellung_status_name_ext": { "id": 195, "type": "FieldtypeText", "flags": 0, "name": "bestellung_status_name_ext", "label": "Status Extern", "textformatters": [ "TextformatterEntities" ], "collapsed": 0, "minlength": 0, "maxlength": 100, "showCount": 0, "size": 0, "pattern": "[a-z\\A-Z\\(\\)]+", "showIf": "", "themeInputSize": "", "themeInputWidth": "", "themeOffset": "", "themeBorder": "", "themeColor": "", "themeBlank": "", "columnWidth": 100, "required": "", "requiredAttr": "", "requiredIf": "", "stripTags": "", "placeholder": "" } } So far everything works fine .
      When i try to export both fields together  i get only an error message :
      Call to a member function getModuleInfo() on null File: .../wire/modules/Fieldtype/FieldtypeText.module:171 I added " bd($textformatter);" on line 170 to see whats wrong. so have a look at the screenshot i apended to this post.

Its perfectly possible that one textformater module got removed by accident while experimenting whith some textformaters but my question is how to fix this maybe somewhere in the DB and possibly what went wrong?
      ProcessWire 3.0.120 © 2019
      Apache/2.4.25 (FreeBSD) OpenSSL/1.0.2k mod_fcgid/2.3.9
      PHP 7.1.2

Edit: After adding
      if ($textformatter ===NULL) continue; I can export my fields , as there arent any Textformater missing in the fields , i get a perfect result. but still there is one textformater whith a NULL value.