Directive 'allow_call_time_pass_reference' is no longer available in PHP

buddy

Hi all,

I've just deployed my ProcessWire-based app to a new web server running PHP 5.4.5, and started noticing this error showing up in the logs:

[url]/processwire/page/edit/ 
Core Error Directive
'allow_call_time_pass_reference' is no longer available in PHP (line 0 of Unknown)

The error sometimes will cause a page inside the CMS admin panel to not load (with a blank "error has been logged" screen), but usually hitting back or reload will render the page just fine. The allow_call_time_pass_reference directive in PHP has been deprecated for a while, but finally removed in PHP 5.4, so that's clearly what's causing the error.

The problem is that I have no idea why ProcessWire is triggering this error. There's no line number, and from what I can tell "allow_call_time_pass_reference" doesn't appear in any PW source code. Despite that, I think it is somehow the PW code which is causing this, since I haven't seen this error in any of my custom code, and it only shows up while using the PW admin panel.

Any guesses?

Thanks!

I've never even heard of allow_call_time_pass_reference, so haven't ever put it into PW's code anywhere. Though wondering if some kind of '&' usage is triggering it or something. Is there any specific page that it's occurring on, or does it appear random? I'm also wondering PHP might be picking this up from a php.ini or .htaccess file somewhere on your server (given that it says line 0 of Unknown)?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

OK. I think you mean this suggestion, right?

You should comment out allow_call_time_pass_reference in php.ini, because it's no longer available. The following should fix it:

But... what does that mean? How do I do that? Once I copy/paste that line into the php.ini field, it doesnt work.

Sorry, no php nerd here, but only a web designer...  :-[

By putting a semi-colon in front of the line in your php.ini...i.e.

; Example - this line is commented out. Comment out the below line..
; allow_call_time_pass_reference//comment this out; deprecated and now removed in php 5.4

The directive has been removed from PHP 5.4. Hence, comment it out as suggested. Have a read here:

http://uk1.php.net/manual/en/ini.core.php#ini.allow-call-time-pass-reference

• 3 years later...