New processwire.com (?)

heldercervantes

Taking the cue that came up in this thread, I'm taking this first step to evaluate if we have something to go on as to create a new site for our beloved PW.

First of all, we'll need a blessing from our godfather Ryan. Then we need to establish a proper team with roles.

I'm taking the first step but by no means placing myself as leader of the project. So I propose that whoever wants to contribute, step forward and say what role(s) you can contribute to in this adventure.

Myself, having a background in creative direction and frontend development, I can contribute in planning, design, copywriting and frontend dev.

To lead the project, I'd tip the hat to one of the veterans everyone knows.

• Like 3

i would be happy to take over some backend part.

i did some quick research on what's present at the moment at processwire.com and it looks like the only reasonable project lead could be ryan. we have the site, the modules directory, the forum, the dev-directory, the blog, store, showcase...

i don't know how everything works behind the scenes. but as the roadmap also lists "new website" as a point i think it's at least on ryans wishlist.

New website. A lot of nice redesign work was done by the community over the last year or so. In 2017, we'll be moving forward with developing it and making a lot of nice improvements to this website.

it would be really nice if ryan could manage to involve the community into this process. also i would really love to see more transparency what this "WE" in my quote of the roadmap actually is... as I stated on some other threads one of my main concerns with processwire at the moment is the quite high bus factor (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bus_factor

same here: available for that not before 2018, but willing to help wherever i can :)

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, bernhard said:

i would really love to see more transparency what this "WE"

Yes, good point. We're discussing this and Ryan can already have somethign up his sleeve.

In terms of my availability, it's up and down. Currently my mornings are dedicated to an agency doing frontend dev, and other agencies sporadically call for my help. Right now I have some free time, and expect that at least until the end of year that will continue to be the case.

Do we really need a new PW.com theme? Think the new admin theme update will be a great help and a dedicated store for modules will help if we can make that happen. Think the current PW is fine for now, with other lower lying fruit.

• Like 1

In the past weeks (rather months) I was discussing ProcessWire in our agency and I had some serious trouble convincing my colleagues.
The main reason for their criticism was related to the old fashioned website frontend and the older fashioned default admin theme when testing ProcessWire. So I think there is a huge benefit in an overhaul of processwire.com and also in setting RenoTheme as default, but I guess that this won't change because of the upcoming admin theme.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, thmsnhl said:

also in setting RenoTheme as default

+1 Even though the new admin theme is in the works, in the meantime it could help a lot. The possibility to switch to Reno is not obvious at all for a PW newcomer, I would say Reno is kind of "hidden".

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, fbg13 said:

Am I the only one who likes the default admin theme?

I've been using it a lot more lately and have grown to really like it.

I think what I prefer are the drop downs from the top navigation bar. Reno theme doesn't have this and requires an extra click. It just feels less snappy / fast.

I know an extra click isn't much but as a "power user" I could be editing multiple sites a day. I'll never get those extra clicks back :)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, fbg13 said:

I like it too. I generally mix and match, and often give clients the option.

1 minute ago, Peter Knight said:

I've been using it a lot more lately and have grown to really like it.

I think what I prefer are the drop downs from the top navigation bar. Reno theme doesn't have this and requires an extra click. It just feels less snappy / fast.

I know an extra click isn't much but as a "power user" I could be editing multiple sites a day. I'll never get those extra clicks back :)

I wonder if we should have a variant of Reno with a top-nav...

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, fbg13 said:

I like it in the way it's more functional, and easy to move around, but you have to admit, it looks quite old. It's a bit too colorful for my taste. I like having a clean interface

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Peter Knight said:

Reno theme doesn't have this and requires an extra click.

57 minutes ago, abdus said:

I like it in the way it's more functional, and easy to move around,

I agree and I used to prefer it too but @tpr's AdminOnSteroids made me to switch to Reno.

Edited by szabesz
'to' & 's' was missing :)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I this is the paradox of PW's admin.

It's so simple and efficient that a new user may be a little underwhelmed. 

As users we all understand why this is. But if you're coming from WP or something with lots of bells and whistles promoted from the initial screen, then PW can seem quite sparse.

I don't think this is a bad thing at all but imagine you're a developer trying to sell PW to your team and convince them to abandon CMS X. They're going to have to understand that the beauty is in the API, the flexibility, the scalability etc etc

I'm not knocking the Admin here. Just saying you only realise these things (flexibility, scalability, simplicity) when you've crossed that line and are an actual user.

• Like 3

The first thing I do after installing PW is switch to Reno. I see Peter's point but the admin is not for me, it's for the client, and I see them taking Reno much more seriously.

When I discovered PW I had an agency that used an in-house CMS. It wasn't very easy to convince the dev team to try PW because they were underwhelmed as well. They were used to the module philosophy where you have a place to manage news, another for events, another for pages and so on. But all it took was one project to get them hooked.

I'm hoping the new default theme is here before I start my next project. Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fbg13 said:

Have you ever tried to work with reno for some time?

my first steps for every project:
- reno
- tracy
- AOS

but it took me some time to get used to reno but it's much nicer to work with imho. you have the quicklinks on the left side always available AND you have more space on the right. i guess i didn't like it in the beginning, because it reminded me of the look and feel of wordpress :D 

hope we see some action on the new admin theme soon too.

and i agree with you guys that the website looks way more old fashioned than processwire is. It's like visiting a website that has the latest news entry saying "merry christmas 2007 to all our visitors!"

i always "apologize" for the look&feel when i present processwire to other devs and i tell them that they should take a look under the surface.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, fbg13 said:

I prefer it immensely and hope that it stays available/supported (maybe not as the default).  We all need choices.   I am glad to see and support progress on additional Admin themes.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 22.9.2017 at 4:51 PM, heldercervantes said:

The first thing I do after installing PW is switch to Reno. 

That's the first thing for me too and I just came up with an other idea: In the installation process, there is already a select field to set the color scheme (which I personally never changed, because the basic colors just fit perfectly). Why isn't there a selectbox to choose the Reno theme, to make it even easier for new users to recognize there is an alternative?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, bernhard said:

And a textarea to post the names of modules to install automatically. And an URL field to post the URL to a gist with a basic setup ^^

Well something like this is already possible, by creating a custom site profile and upload it to the server. It is less dynamic – compared to a textfield – but it does the trick. But even this solution does not install the Reno theme, because it's not a part of the site profile.