iPhone X rounded corners and sensor housing

adrian

Curious what everyone else thinks. Maybe it won't be a huge deal in most cases, but I can see sites with certain header and footer content being cutoff with this design.

Have a read of their developer guidelines - yet another thing to consider in our designs:
https://developer.apple.com/ios/human-interface-guidelines/overview/iphone-x/

iphonex_front_homescreen.jpg?w=2000

Honestly I think more square corners for the device itself look better and I think the screen should be completely square - I feel like this is stepping back to old TV rounded corners:

5167659363_ff18cb14f0_b.jpg

Note that I don't like the edge of the Samsumg Galaxy S8 either - I feel like it looks weird and I am sure your hands would end up covering the edge of what you are trying to view.

galaxy-s8-plus_gallery_front_black_s4.pn

Sorry for rambling, but I am curious what everyone else thinks they should be aiming for both esthetics and functionality?

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, adrian said:

Sorry for rambling

It is not rumbling at all, I call it common sense which is missing from Apple these days. I have always used a Mac for work, I never worked on anything else because Apple makes the desktop OS I like the best. However, I have never had the urge to buy an iOS device because I'm terrified by iOS. You've just showed one prime example why but there are lots of others as well. They want to force us to "think different", you know: the way THEY think. I hate that.

• Like 1

Just one more thing. Personally I will not give a damm about the guidelines you linked to. I want to adhere to standards only. If Apple (aka Jony Ive) wants to cut off part of my design then it is his choice. I will tell my clients that it is Apple's fault. They should stick to industry standards but they deviated.

I'm strong with the Force in this ;)

Either way, it is good to know Apple has gone mad, thanks for the post!

Edited by szabesz
typo: linked & off
  • Like 3

That iPhone X looks grim! The missing part of the screen at the top is just horrible, and the dock looks so out of place to me. Sticking to my S7 over here (which can then be hacked with a custom ROM when it gets old so it lasts me way longer than it's supposed to).

• Like 1

In all honesty, I much prefer the Galaxies. Apple boasts by calling it a bezel-less display, or something like that, but they’re exaggerating, truthfully. End of the day: If you were to add the bezels at the top and bottom again, the sides would look terrible.

The housing at the top drives me nuts. The MiMix2 is better in terms of the ‘infinity display’ era of phones, alongside the S8 and Note 8. I really like those concepts.

Apple is not what it used to be. It’s starting to get all funky and ‘cool’, and the classiness is not what it once was...

Re: websites being cut off: I don’t think that’ll happen... The browser chrome will fill those spaces.

Also in agreement re: the dock. That thing is fugly. 'Scuse my French.

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, AndZyk said:

this is optional. ;)

"The inset area is filled with the page’s background-color (as specified on the <body> or <html> elements) to blend in with the rest of the page. For many websites, this is enough. If your page has only text and images above a solid background color, the default insets will look great."

This one doesn't sound like "optional" to me...

What I meant was this: "Safari’s default insetting behavior."

This means if you do not implement the new "rounded full screen" mode, then in horizontal mode the look of the design is changed by the browser because it applies a "frame" to it (they happen to call "inset"). When we have a full width header, footer, etc. design, in horizontal mode it no longer runs from left edge to right edge, and this is not optional.

EDIT: the look of the design is changed in portrait mode too but in a different manner, of course.

Edited by szabesz
see EDIT