Template Description field missing?

mindplay.dk

Is anybody else missing a Description field on Templates?

I've been trying to use the Label field to describe my Templates, but it really doesn't work well when you enter a 20-30 word summary of what the Template is for, or some basic guidance on how to use it, because this text appears in the drop-downs.

What's more, the Label is only displayed at the time when you select a Template - if you go back and edit a Page, you don't see the Label anywhere.

I think it would make sense to display both the Template Label (or Template Name when no Label is defined) and a Description of the Template somewhere, so that it's obvious what you're editing.

Perhaps a separate discussion, but related to that - it would be nice if the Label (or Name) would also display in the sitemap... This would make it easier to under what's what, in a site with many different Templates.

I don't even use template labels myself, but added them so that multi-language template selection would be more friendly for those that wanted it. Honestly, I start getting confused when I see a template identified as anything other than its name (or filename, if it has one). :) So while it's not my cup of tea, I'm definitely fine with having a description field with templates and can see why some may want it.

I also want to mention that it's a good idea (where possible) to make use of the 'Family' settings for all/most/many of your templates, so that users rarely have to consider anything about templates.