kongondo

Module: Blog

1 hour ago, heliumrotator said:

Only the configuration looks very ugly. I don't know if this your new style or an accident. I saw that better in the official video:

The very ugly configuration is the new style (since a couple of versions back). What you saw in the (old) 'official' video is the old style.

Welcome to the forums ūüôā.

Thank you for fast you reply.

My first thought was that I did something wrong. For hours I've been looking for the fault. Until I realized that there is no fault. I would never have thought that it should look like this.

Is there a way to get the old style back?

Hi all,
I am using the blog module, and I love it. Thank you @kongondo.
I have created some posts with featured images and it seems to work fine.
The featured image is displayed above the post-headline.
But if I chose a category and take a view at the blog-category template, the featured image is not displayed at the posts which are belongs to the category.
Probably I forgot something to set?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Blog/MarkupBlogÔĽŅ: 2.4.2

ProcessWire 3.0.42. 

Hello there,

I have added a Repeater field in the blog_post template. But when I go to Quick Post to add a post I don't see the Repeater field in the editor. Am I missing anything?

2 hours ago, MaryMatlow said:

I have added a Repeater field in the blog_post template. But when I go to Quick Post to add a post I don't see the Repeater field in the editor. Am I missing anything?

Currently, such 'user-added' fields are not supported in Quick Post. They can only be accessed when you edit the blog page normally. Maybe it's something I need to think about.

On 5/29/2018 at 1:42 PM, St3f4n said:

But if I chose a category and take a view at the blog-category template, the featured image is not displayed at the posts which are belongs to the category.
Probably I forgot something to set?

Sorry, @St3f4n. I forgot to answer your question! Use post_large_image option for featured image in a non-summarised (i.e. large/full) post and post_small_image option for featured image in a small/summarised post (e.g. in the default blog-category template file). Does this help?

Welcome to the forums ūüôā.

17 hours ago, kongondo said:

Currently, such 'user-added' fields are not supported in Quick Post. They can only be accessed when you edit the blog page normally. Maybe it's something I need to think about.

Thanks @kongondo

Is there a way to add a new post other than "quick post'? I can see the Repeater field when I edit an existing post, but how do I access it when creating a new post?

1 hour ago, MaryMatlow said:

Is there a way to add a new post other than "quick post'?

Yes, but only via the normal PW page tree.  Posts are just PW pages that use the template blog-post. I don't know what Blog style you used, but just add a child page to whoever the parent of pages using blog-post is. If using style 1 of Blog, then the parent should be the page Posts and it uses the template blog-posts. Adding a child to that parent page should automatically select the template blog-post for the children being added (i.e. individual posts).

3 hours ago, kongondo said:

Yes, but only via the normal PW page tree.  Posts are just PW pages that use the template blog-post. I don't know what Blog style you used, but just add a child page to whoever the parent of pages using blog-post is. If using style 1 of Blog, then the parent should be the page Posts and it uses the template blog-posts. Adding a child to that parent page should automatically select the template blog-post for the children being added (i.e. individual posts).

Yes, of course. Thank you @kongondo ūüôā

On 1/20/2015 at 9:44 AM, kongondo said:

Pretty much, but with a few additions as well. I have created a Gist of the renderPosts() function here:

Hi kongondo, I've been trying to make this plugin work for two straight days and I'm not having much luck. 

I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to PHP but I'm usually able to stumble my way through. Can you provide an updated Gist? I'm thinking maybe this one is just too old and won't work with the latest version of your plugin. It seems like copying the renderPosts function to my _func.php file (instead of editing MarkupBlog.module) is the best way to do it so that my changes aren't overwritten when the plugin is updated. I've read this forum over and over, I hate to bother you but the documentation doesn't seem to be complete yet.

[UPDATE: I finally got the featured images to work - didn't realize I had to add the "featured" tag to the image - otherwise, I get an error].

Any chance you can provide a working Gist for each of the other properties? IE: categories, authors, archives, comments, tags, next/prev post, etc. -  I would like to modify them to match my theme in the same way I did with renderPosts.

On 5/24/2018 at 3:49 PM, heliumrotator said:

Is there a way to get the old style back?ÔĽŅÔĽŅ

Not unless you roll back to previous versions or modify the module itself to your liking (being aware that any future updates will wipe out your changes unless you rename your module class and files).

On 7/15/2018 at 1:33 AM, Ben Sayers said:

I've read this forum over and over, I hate to bother you but the documentation doesn't seem to be complete yet.

Welcome to the forums @Ben Sayers. Yes, apologies for the documentation. Despite my best intentions, I've never been able to find time to complete it.

[UPDATE: I finally got the featured images to work - didn't realize I had to add the "featured" tag to the image - otherwise, I get an error].

Again, sorry about this. Docs should be clearer.

Any chance you can provide a working Gist for each of the other properties? IE: categories, authors, archives, comments, tags, next/prev post, etc. -¬† I would like to¬†modify them to match my theme in the same way I did with renderPosts.ÔĽŅ

Not at the moment, I'm afraid. Any reason why you can't/won't use the Blog module itself to render your posts? The demo template files and the present documentation provide examples that should get you going.

16 hours ago, kongondo said:

Not at the moment, I'm afraid. Any reason why you can't/won't use the Blog module itself to render your posts? The demo template files and the present documentation provide examples that should get you going.

I guess that's where the documentation would come in handy, I just don't understand how to use the Blog module... If I make changes to MarkupBlog.module, won't they be overwritten if I update your plugin in the future? The demo templates seem to be using the delayed output method which I don't know how to use. When I install PW, I use the "Beginner" option with Direct Output (head/foot includes). 

2 hours ago, Ben Sayers said:

If I make changes to MarkupBlog.module, won't they be overwritten if I update your plugin in the future

Yes, they would be overwritten.

I guess that's where the documentation would come in handy, I just don't understand how to use the Blog module

I agree, however, the current Blog API documentation is sufficient to get you started, I would think ūüôā.

The demo templates seem to be using the delayed output method which I don't know how to use

True, but it shouldn't be a problem because the most important thing for you is to use Blog's own methods. E.g. renderPosts(), renderCategories(), etc. They'll still work irrespective of output method. Hence, the reason I pointed you to the examples in the demo template files.

Maybe if you could explain what exactly you need help with?

I've just updated my PW to 3.0.98 and installed ProCache. Unfortunately now I'm getting a 404 on all blog pages. Also I see ProCache doesn't even list the blog templates.

Any advice?