Module: Blog

kongondo

@toothpaste, until I update the Blog docs, it's all here in post #207. What you want is to pass 'post_categories_text' as part of an array (e.g. $options) as the third argument in renderPosts(). Here's a quick one line example - you would probably do it differently depending on your needs, e.g. create the array with all your options first then pass it to renderPosts(). We replace 'Categories: ' with 'Groups: '

echo $modules->get('MarkupBlog')->renderPosts($pages->get('/blog/posts/material-design/'), '', array('post_categories_text'=>'Groups: '));

I've added a field called Content_Type to the Blog Post template. I tag *some* posts with as Content_Type=Studio Watch to differentiate them from "regular" bog posts.

There's nothing special about these pages. I simply use the Blog as a central publishing platform but pages marked Content_Type=Studio Watch are special and pulled onto a stand alone section of the site.

Here's how the field looks in the Blog_Post template.

post-1166-0-60360500-1416949775_thumb.pn

Is there a way on the Blog Posts page (front end) to filter out any posts marked with this tag/category.

OR

Maybe I'm trying to do something here which will get me in knots. 

These particular pages shouldn't be listed in the front end under Posts, Categories, Tags, Comments, Authors or Archives.

Hmmm, perhaps I need to not use the blog for this particular task. What do you think?

@Peter

Btw, if all you are using the field 'Content_Type' for is to differentiate those Blog Posts from other Posts, remember you can also use a checkbox.  A checked checkbox could denote 'special' posts. Alternatively, if you still want to use the page field 'Content_Type', unless there are other special tags, there is no need for that field to be a Multiple Page field.

There are a number of options. One that would work right across the board (but may not be easy/possible for your editors?) is, instead of adding the extra 'Content_Type' field, just set the page status of your 'special' Posts to 'hidden'. They won't show up in Posts, Tags, Categories, Archives and Authors pages. For Comments and Recent Comments and also to show them in your stand-alone section of the site you would need to do something like below...

Show only special posts in stand-alone section

//find only hidden posts
//$posts = $pages->find("template=blog-post, status>1024");//similar to below but less readable
$posts = $pages->find("template=blog-post, status>".Page::statusHidden);
echo $modules->get('MarkupBlog')->renderPosts($posts);

Remove hidden (special) posts from the output from the demo blog-comments.php, i.e. /blog/comments/

//modified code excerpt. See the file blog-comments.php
$comments = $blog->findRecentComments($limit, $start);
foreach($comments as $comment) {
   //remove comments from blog posts with hidden status
   if($comment->page->isHidden()) $comments->remove($comment);
}
$content .= $page->blog_body . $blog->renderComments($comments, $limit);

Remove special posts from the Recent Comments in the right sidebar of the demo blog (blog-side-bar.inc)

//excerpted and modified from blog-side-bar.inc
foreach($comments as $comment) {

if($comment->page->isHidden()) continue;//ignore comments from hidden posts
        $cite = htmlentities($comment->cite, ENT_QUOTES, "UTF-8");
        $date = $blog->formatDate($comment->created); 
        $out .= "<li><span class='date'>$date</span><br />" . 
                    "<a href='{$comment->page->url}#comment{$comment->id}'>$cite » {$comment->page->title}</a>" . 
                "</li>";
}
  • Like 1

@Peter

Btw, if all you are using the field 'Content_Type' for is to differentiate those Blog Posts from other Posts, remember you can also use a checkbox.  A checked checkbox could denote 'special' posts. Alternatively, if you still want to use the page field 'Content_Type', unless there are other special tags, there is no need for that field to be a Multiple Page field.

Good advice. I was using a PageSelect because in the future I'll have 3 different types of posts all generated from the blogging module.

And thanks for the code samples and explanations too. I've had a bit of a rethink about this. If I'm not using 90% of the Blogs features (Categories, Comments, Athors) etc then I may be better off disconnecting my special posts from the blog. Otherwise I'm trying to adapt and rewire the Blog when it's perfectly suited to it's task and should probably be left alone.

Sorry about the back tracking. Appreciate the examples though. 

@Andi, I am not sure I get your question but I think you mean in the modules list PW is listing Blog as 2.2.2 despite having updated to 2.3.0? Maybe PW's module cache didn't clear. In that case, hit the refresh button in PW Module list page. Otherwise, check the other module files, they should all be version 2.3.0.

I built some very basic Gravatar functionality into a bigger (site-specific) module recently - please feel to use it: Gravatar.module gist on Github

Thanks for this. I've saved the code to the desktop, zipped it and loaded as a module and get the following error

Parse Error: syntax error, unexpected 'public' (T_PUBLIC) (line 20 of /Users/peterknight/Sites/EdenWeb/site/modules/Gravatar/Gravatar.module) 

Any ideas what the issue is there?

Happy to move this to a different forum or a PM if kongondo wishes.

This error message was shown because you are logged in as a Superuser. Error has been logged.

Most likely a not closed braces } or something.

Seems fine in terms of opening and closed braces.

I don't know much about Modules but having looked at some other code, it seems like the opening statement

public function init() {
		$this->addHook('User::gravatar', $this, 'methodGravatar');
	}

needs to be preceeded by something like this

class MODULENAME extends WireData implements Module {

Have this wierd select box issue.

Anytime I have a list of Related Categories or Related Tags, I get a stray selectbox repeating the Categories or Tags

post-1166-0-10136600-1417195378_thumb.pn

Not sure if it's my browser or the module or Zurb Foundation auto inserting some accessibility thing.

Does it happen to anyone else using the Blog Module?

Hi there,

I've tried to install the Blog module for the first time. I have no other related blog pages of any kind. When I try to run the installation wizard, I get the errors below. Any ideas what I should do?

Many thanks.

•  BlogInstallWizard: Cannot install Blog pages. Some page names already in use. These are: Blog.

•  BlogInstallWizard: Cannot install Blog fields. Some field names already in use. These are: blog_body, blog_categories, blog_comments, blog_comments_view, blog_comments_max, blog_quantity, blog_date, blog_files, blog_headline, blog_href, blog_images, blog_links, blog_note, blog_summary, blog_tags, blog_small.

•  BlogInstallWizard: Cannot install Blog templates. Some template names already in use. These are: blog, blog-archives, blog-authors, blog-categories, blog-category, blog-comments, blog-links, blog-post, blog-posts, blog-recent-comments, blog-recent-posts, blog-recent-tweets, blog-tag, blog-tags, blog-widgets, blog-widget-basic, blog-settings, blog-basic, repeater_blog-links.

•  BlogInstallWizard: A role called 'blog-author' already exists!

•  BlogInstallWizard: Due to the above errors, the install wizard did not run. Make necessary changes and try again.

•  TemplateFile: SQLSTATE[23000]: Integrity constraint violation: 1062 Duplicate entry 'blog-author-30' for key 'name_parent_id'<pre>#0 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/ew/ProcessWire/wire/core/Pages.php(922): PDOStatement->execute() #1 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/ew/ProcessWire/wire/core/Pages.php(827): Pages->savePageQuery(Object(Role), Array) #2 [internal function]: Pages->___save(Object(Role), Array) #3 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/ew/ProcessWire/wire/core/Wire.php(389): call_user_func_array(Array, Array) #4 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/ew/ProcessWire/wire/core/Wire.php(344): Wire->runHooks('save', Array) #5 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/ew/ProcessWire/wire/core/Page.php(1180): Wire->__call('save', Array) #6 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/ew/ProcessWire/wire/core/Page.php(1180): Pages->save(Object(Role), Array) #7 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/ew/ProcessWire/site/modules/ProcessBlog/BlogInstallWizard.php(324): Page->save() #8 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/ew/ProcessWire/site/modules/ProcessBlog/BlogInstallWizard.php(304): BlogInstallWizard->createRole() #9 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/ew/ProcessWire/site/modules/ProcessBlog/ProcessBlog.module(2847): BlogInstallWizard->verifyInstall(Object(InputfieldForm)) #10 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/ew/ProcessWire/site/modules/ProcessBlog/ProcessBlog.module(677): ProcessBlog->installWizard(Object(InputfieldForm)) #11 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/ew/ProcessWire/site/modules/ProcessBlog/ProcessBlog.module(715): ProcessBlog->firstAccess(Array) #12 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/ew/ProcessWire/wire/core/ProcessController.php(204): ProcessBlog->execute() #13 [internal function]: ProcessController->___execute() #14 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/ew/ProcessWire/wire/core/Wire.php(389): call_user_func_array(Array, Array) #15 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/ew/ProcessWire/wire/core/Wire.php(344): Wire->runHooks('execute', Array) #16 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/ew/ProcessWire/wire/core/admin.php(85): Wire->__call('execute', Array) #17 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/ew/ProcessWire/wire/core/admin.php(85): ProcessController->execute() #18 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/ew/ProcessWire/wire/modules/AdminTheme/AdminThemeDefault/controller.php(13): require('/Applications/M...') #19 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/ew/ProcessWire/site/templates/admin.php(15): require('/Applications/M...') #20 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/ew/ProcessWire/wire/core/TemplateFile.php(169): require('/Applications/M...') #21 [internal function]: TemplateFile->___render() #22 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/ew/ProcessWire/wire/core/Wire.php(389): call_user_func_array(Array, Array) #23 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/ew/ProcessWire/wire/core/Wire.php(344): Wire->runHooks('render', Array) #24 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/ew/ProcessWire/wire/modules/PageRender.module(356): Wire->__call('render', Array) #25 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/ew/ProcessWire/wire/modules/PageRender.module(356): TemplateFile->render() #26 [internal function]: PageRender->___renderPage(Object(HookEvent)) #27 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/ew/ProcessWire/wire/core/Wire.php(389): call_user_func_array(Array, Array) #28 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/ew/ProcessWire/wire/core/Wire.php(344): Wire->runHooks('renderPage', Array) #29 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/ew/ProcessWire/wire/core/Wire.php(411): Wire->__call('renderPage', Array) #30 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/ew/ProcessWire/wire/core/Wire.php(411): PageRender->renderPage(Object(HookEvent)) #31 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/ew/ProcessWire/wire/core/Wire.php(344): Wire->runHooks('render', Array) #32 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/ew/ProcessWire/wire/modules/Process/ProcessPageView.module(171): Wire->__call('render', Array) #33 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/ew/ProcessWire/wire/modules/Process/ProcessPageView.module(171): Page->render() #34 [internal function]: ProcessPageView->___execute(true) #35 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/ew/ProcessWire/wire/core/Wire.php(389): call_user_func_array(Array, Array) #36 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/ew/ProcessWire/wire/core/Wire.php(344): Wire->runHooks('execute', Array) #37 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/ew/ProcessWire/index.php(214): Wire->__call('execute', Array) #38 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/ew/ProcessWire/index.php(214): ProcessPageView->execute(true) #39 {main}</pre>

Edited by kongondo
Gazley: I moved this here to Blog's support thread

I reverted to backups of my development environment and the DB. I installed the Blog Module again, from scratch and got the following errors:

TemplateFile: SQLSTATE[42S01]: Base table or view already exists: 1050 Table 'field_blog_categories' already exists<pre>#0 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/ew/ProcessWire/wire/core/Fieldtype.php(440): PDOStatement->execute() #1 [internal function]: Fieldtype->___createField(Object(Field)) #2 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/ew/ProcessWire/wire/core/Wire.php(389): call_user_func_array(Array, Array) #3 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/ew/ProcessWire/wire/core/Wire.php(344): Wire->runHooks('createField', Array) #4 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/ew/ProcessWire/wire/core/Fields.php(207): Wire->__call('createField', Array) #5 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/ew/ProcessWire/wire/core/Fields.php(207): FieldtypePage->createField(Object(Field)) #6 [internal function]: Fields->___save(Object(Field)) #7 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/ew/ProcessWire/wire/core/Wire.php(389): call_user_func_array(Array, Array) #8 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/ew/ProcessWire/wire/core/Wire.php(344): Wire->runHooks('save', Array) #9 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/ew/ProcessWire/wire/core/Field.php(392): Wire->__call('save', Array) #10 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/ew/ProcessWire/wire/core/Field.php(392): Fields->save(Object(Field)) #11 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/ew/ProcessWire/site/modules/ProcessBlog/BlogInstallWizard.php(436): Field->save() #12 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/ew/ProcessWire/site/modules/ProcessBlog/BlogInstallWizard.php(334): BlogInstallWizard->createFields() #13 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/ew/ProcessWire/site/modules/ProcessBlog/BlogInstallWizard.php(304): BlogInstallWizard->createRole() #14 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/ew/ProcessWire/site/modules/ProcessBlog/ProcessBlog.module(2847): BlogInstallWizard->verifyInstall(Object(InputfieldForm)) #15 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/ew/ProcessWire/site/modules/ProcessBlog/ProcessBlog.module(677): ProcessBlog->installWizard(Object(InputfieldForm)) #16 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/ew/ProcessWire/site/modules/ProcessBlog/ProcessBlog.module(715): ProcessBlog->firstAccess(Array) #17 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/ew/ProcessWire/wire/core/ProcessController.php(204): ProcessBlog->execute() #18 [internal function]: ProcessController->___execute() #19 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/ew/ProcessWire/wire/core/Wire.php(389): call_user_func_array(Array, Array) #20 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/ew/ProcessWire/wire/core/Wire.php(344): Wire->runHooks('execute', Array) #21 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/ew/ProcessWire/wire/core/admin.php(85): Wire->__call('execute', Array) #22 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/ew/ProcessWire/wire/core/admin.php(85): ProcessController->execute() #23 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/ew/ProcessWire/wire/modules/AdminTheme/AdminThemeDefault/controller.php(13): require('/Applications/M...') #24 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/ew/ProcessWire/site/templates/admin.php(15): require('/Applications/M...') #25 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/ew/ProcessWire/wire/core/TemplateFile.php(169): require('/Applications/M...') #26 [internal function]: TemplateFile->___render() #27 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/ew/ProcessWire/wire/core/Wire.php(389): call_user_func_array(Array, Array) #28 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/ew/ProcessWire/wire/core/Wire.php(344): Wire->runHooks('render', Array) #29 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/ew/ProcessWire/wire/modules/PageRender.module(356): Wire->__call('render', Array) #30 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/ew/ProcessWire/wire/modules/PageRender.module(356): TemplateFile->render() #31 [internal function]: PageRender->___renderPage(Object(HookEvent)) #32 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/ew/ProcessWire/wire/core/Wire.php(389): call_user_func_array(Array, Array) #33 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/ew/ProcessWire/wire/core/Wire.php(344): Wire->runHooks('renderPage', Array) #34 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/ew/ProcessWire/wire/core/Wire.php(411): Wire->__call('renderPage', Array) #35 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/ew/ProcessWire/wire/core/Wire.php(411): PageRender->renderPage(Object(HookEvent)) #36 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/ew/ProcessWire/wire/core/Wire.php(344): Wire->runHooks('render', Array) #37 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/ew/ProcessWire/wire/modules/Process/ProcessPageView.module(171): Wire->__call('render', Array) #38 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/ew/ProcessWire/wire/modules/Process/ProcessPageView.module(171): Page->render() #39 [internal function]: ProcessPageView->___execute(true) #40 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/ew/ProcessWire/wire/core/Wire.php(389): call_user_func_array(Array, Array) #41 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/ew/ProcessWire/wire/core/Wire.php(344): Wire->runHooks('execute', Array) #42 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/ew/ProcessWire/index.php(214): Wire->__call('execute', Array) #43 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/ew/ProcessWire/index.php(214): ProcessPageView->execute(true) #44 {main}</pre>

Gazley,

I am not sure what version of blog you are using but I know that kongondo made some relatively recent changes to help with clean up of pages when uninstalling. But it sounds like you might need to do some cleanup anyway at this point. 

Did you use the PW backup module to do your backup and restore? Unfortunately there is a bit of a limitation with that backup module at the moment in that it doesn't start with a blank DB when restoring so you can get that situation with existing tables.

At this point I would suggest uninstalling the blog again and then manually removing the DB tables - all that start with "field_blog_*". Also check to make sure there is no entry for the blog module in the "modules" DB table.

Hopefully with a clean start it should install fine.

• Like 1

@Peter,

The select box is coming from the 4th argument of renderNav() $mobile. The default value is 'true'. Used in conjunction with CSS @media queries, the select box provides an easier navigation of your Blog for mobile devices. If you wish not to use it, just set $mobile=false. See below:

renderNav() tutorial - I'll need to update this to be more explicit about this feature.. :-)

renderNav() code

use with media queries example in blog.css demo file

• Like 1

@Gazley,

Thanks for trying out Blog. Nothing much to add to what Adrian has said. I can tell that you are using Blog version 2.x.x. As the error shows, it seems you installed Blog, then uninstalled it without first 'cleaning up', then tried to install it again. That's the only way that error could occur based on your explanation... :-)

Let us know if we can help further.. :-)

Edited by kongondo

@Peter,

The select box is coming from the 4th argument of renderNav() $mobile. The default value is 'true'. Used in conjunction with CSS @media queries, the select box provides an easier navigation of your Blog for mobile devices. If you wish not to use it, just set $mobile=false. See below:

renderNav() tutorial - I'll need to update this to be more explicit about this feature.. :-)

renderNav() code

use with media queries example in blog.css demo file

Thanks a mill. For what it's worth, I found your blog docs yesterday. Missed that particular setting but self-fixed another issue :)

Hi,

I installed it once and hit the error. I manually uninstalled it and tried again and hit the error. As a result, I reverted to a backup from days ago, before I even downloaded the Blog module. I installed clean and still hit the error presented in my second error listing.

I haven't installed and uninstalled or anything like that. I just hit the error right away.

Well that's strange. Can you please confirm:

• That you run the 'Cleanup' wizard before uninstalling the module itself?
  • That after uninstall you do not have a field called blog_categories in your install/DB?
  • That the uninstaller finished running - i.e. it did not hang and not complete?
  • Your PW version? 

Hi Kongondo,

I've resolved the issue and this was the problem:

xdebug.max_nesting_level=100

I use Xdebug and your installation had originally crashed because the PHP program nesting level had hit this limit. I've no idea why this Xdebug setting should impact on PHP when not debugging but for whatever reason, it was. I extended this to 200 and voila - it installed just fine! :)

I couldn't ever run Cleanup because it never (I presume) got far enough along in the install before it crashed due to the nesting limit. In any event, I reverted to backup (again) with the higher nesting limit and it all functioned perfectly!

Now, all I have to do is learn to use the MarkupBlog module :)

Anyway, thanks for being calm and patient and making this work available. The dashboard and utilities look really great and I'm glad I don't have to code up another half-baked, home-made blog yet again!

Cheers. 

• Like 1

When i create a user with roles guest and blog-author, as soon they log in to the manager the only thing shown is a continue link, redirecting them to the home page of the site.

How can they create a new blog entry? I do not want to give them superuser privileges.

I'm running PW 2.5.10 dev with ProcessBlog 2.3.0