Module: Blog

kongondo

Just wanted to say that removing this module leaves a path of trash in the ProcessWire and it might be quicker to just setup a completely new install instead of uninstalling the blog module.

I have templates leftover, fields etc and it's a pain to remove everything manually.

Never used the blog, it just wasn't what I needed. I need something simpler and decided to go with the ProcessWire functionality of just creating pages without the use of comments etcetera. Wanted something more like a 'news' page.

Is there a reason why 'uninstalling' doesn't uninstall much?

@Marinus,

Thanks for testing Blog. Sorry for your pain in respect of manually removing leftovers. I personally don't like to remove leftovers manually! Before I get into details why that is an intentional feature, from your post I can observe that despite clear instructions in the first post in this thread as well as notes both in the GitHub project home and the module directory, and despite the fact that these are either typed in coloured or bold font, you did not (at least not entirely) read the instructions and/or notes :-). Just in case others miss them, this is what I am referring to:

From the first post in this thread:

Please read the README in the Github link below in its entirety before using this module (especially the bit about the Pages, etc. created by the module). 

From the modules directory and GitHub 'notes' sections.

On uninstall, all installed Fields, Templates, Template Files and Blog Pages are left untouched. If you need to remove them, you have to do it manually (or using the API). This is in order to protect existing data

If you'd read the instructions and the notes, not uninstalling 'much' would not have come as a surprise :-).. Yes,  I know my reason for not removing everything was not explicitly explained in the notes. Maybe I should add this to the first post but back to your question....

A module like Blog is a complex application. No matter how smart it is there is no way it can second-guess the various ways in which it will be used by the client. For instance, the module installs various fields. What if the user decided to reuse the Blog fields in their other templates? What if they decided to reuse some of the templates or add other code in the template files? What if they'd built their Blog content over time and down the road decided they no longer needed the full Blog experience but wanted to keep some or all of the Blog pages? If uninstalling Blog uninstalled everything.....well, you get the picture. This is something I thought long and hard about and also consulted on before making the call that "rather a painful manual uninstall than potentially destroying a user's data on uninstall!". . There's good news though..(OK, maybe not for you but others since you've already uninstalled Blog... :-) ).......

I already have a script that will remove all traces of Blog - fields, templates, template files, pages. The script was written before I released Blog. I was reluctant to post it but maybe now I should (as a Gist). I would like to package it better though rather than something that will run immediately the file is loaded. I am thinking of packaging this with prompts (are you sure you want to delete?!!), maybe even make it configurable to allow selection of what you want to remove from your current Blog install. Now that I mention this, I might follow up on an idea a friend suggested a while back. Maybe something for Blog 2.0 (if we ever get there :-)) - make the whole Blog install configurable - i.e. on install, the user decides what aspects of Blog they want to install. They don't want comments? Fine. They want to call Blog Posts 'News'? Fine, we can do that...etc, etc...

Anyway, I hope I have answered your question somewhere in there :D

UPDATE:

Blog version 2 now removes its path of trash (rather than leave them behind :-)). It also allows you NOT to install commenting feature plus other stuff.

Edited by kongondo
  • Like 3

Hi,

After you install kongondos blog module, blog appeares in the top menu

of the processwire default website. How can I make the blog as the home page

and delete About Templates Sitemap in the top menu and have blog

as the only website ? Just by deleting the About Templates and Sitemap pages ?

Right now I have to enter domain.org/de/blog to open the blog site.

How can I open the blog directly with domain.org ?

Edited by kongondo
Moved this post here rather than have it as its own thread :-)

@PWired,

Unfortunately currently you can't do that without breaking links/paths in both ProcessBlog and MarkupBlog. You'd have to hack the module to change affected paths. In Blog 2.0 that I talked about in post #104, the plan is that you will be able to install your Blog anywhere in your site structure/tree. :-)

A similar question was asked in post #50. You might want to use url segments..to achieve what you want..

UPDATE:

Feature now available in Blog version 2

Edited by kongondo
  • Like 1

• Version bumped to 1.2.2
  • Main changes are to renderComments() [full documentation here]
    • Added a 4th Array $options argument. In this array you can customise the texts describing the various comments' status such as: when there are no comments  - 'Be the first to comment and win and iPad! [kidding!]'; when comments closed - 'Sorry buddy. Next time come earlier :-)', etc. No, these are not the defaults  :P  :lol:. The defaults are more sensible and will be used if you don't specify any of your your own.
    • Also, using $options you can require users to login before posting a comment. Of course, you deal with the logging in bit. Blog only checks if user is logged in.

Example code

$options = array(
    'comments_closed' => 'Sorry. Comments are now closed.',//message when comments closed
    'comments_empty' => 'No comments found.',//message when there are no comments for post
    'comments_login' => 'Log in first to comment.',//message when comment form hidden until user logs in
    'comments_login_required' => true,//require user to log in before they can comment. Default is false
);

//we call MarkupBlog
$blog = $modules->get("MarkupBlog");

echo $blog->renderComments($page->blog_comments, null, $options);

ProcessWire module upgrades only update the module files...in Blog's case the following files will be overwritten

1. ProcessBlog.module
  2. MarkupBlog.module
  3. ProcessBlog.js
  4. ProcessBlogInstall.inc (this is only ever run once; on first install)
  5. ProcessBlog.css
  6. README.md
  7. LICENSE.txt

Nothing is installed. Nothing in your /site/templates/ will be touched so your Template Files, etc. WILL NOT be overwritten :-). If, on the other hand, you modified the above module files.....

• Like 1

Update: Version 1.3.0 - 31 August 2014

Summary of Changes

1. Version 1.3.0
  2. BlogPublishDate - Part of the Blog module suite, new small autoload module to save and preserve a Blog Post's publication date. The value (current time and date) is saved on Post's publish. It can be manually modified. Unless manually modified, the original published date is preserved between subsequent unpublish/publish events. Thanks @Adrian for idea, @SiNNuT and @Soma for code. For new installs, the new module will be automatically installed by PW when you install ProcessBlog. For existing installs, you will have to manually install BlogPublishDate. You will also have to set the field 'blog_date' not to automatically default to current date. Change this in Setup->Fields->blog_date. On the Input tab, scroll to the bottom and find 'Default to today's date?'. Untick the checkbox.
  3. Posts Dashboard (see screenshot)
    • Date column: Now shows 'Pending' for unpublished posts (never before published ones), 'Expired' (published then unpublished posts) and published Date for currently published posts
    • Date column: Date shown is formatted according to the format user set in 'blog_date'. Blog's default is 'j F Y g:i a', e.g. 8 April 2012
    • Date column: Sorting by date column now works correctly. Thanks @webweaver and @Teppo for solution
  4. Posts Dashboard, Categories Dashboard, Tags Dashboard
    • Number of posts/categories/tags per page now shown - e.g. 'Posts 1 to 10 of 120'
    • Customisable number of posts/categories/tags to show per page (via a drop-down select). Default is 10. Selected value is preserved (state saved via a cookie - browser specific, of course) per context (e.g. can have different values for posts, categories and tags dashboard) and per ProcessWire user. Thanks to @Nik for code idea.
  5. Some code clean-up
post-894-0-48931000-1409493507_thumb.png

Pending: 

- Featured image widget

- Auto-publish/unpublish by set date

Note:

Issue in Dev: If you are running latest Dev, you will get an error about TinyMCE not being the default editor (if it is not installed), etc. when editing Posts. Follow the instructions given by PW. Once PW 2.5 is released, I will change 'blog_body' to use CKEditor.

Edited by kongondo
  • Like 7

Should I be able to add Authors in the Blog>Settings>Author page?

Currently links to my author are throwing a 404 and I was sure that previouly, this was the correct space to add authors.

PW 2.4.0

Also, none of my General Settings ar ebeing saved. When I open the General settings page, all the fields are blank. Populating anything and saving throws an error of:

Can't save page 0: : Pages of type NullPage are not saveable

Should I be able to add Authors in the Blog>Settings>Author page?

Currently links to my author are throwing a 404 and I was sure that previouly, this was the correct space to add authors.

PW 2.4.0

Also, none of my General Settings ar ebeing saved. When I open the General settings page, all the fields are blank. Populating anything and saving throws an error of:

Can't save page 0: : Pages of type NullPage are not saveable

Fixed my issue and just updating this in case anyone has same problems.

Authors profiles are just users. If you have a user, you can set their blurb in the Users area.

I'd renamed my /blog/ page to /blog-test/ and this is why some of my links weren't working and why the right column wasn't displaying "Recent Comments" and "View by" etc

Blog settings are back since I renamed my /blog-test/ to blog/ upgraded PHP to 5.5 and updated the blog module to the latest version.

• Like 1

Schedule Posts Publish and Unpublish dates using SchedulePages module

Hello Bloggers and devs! I would like to hear your thoughts on this matter. As you know, there have been requests to implement such a feature in Blog. I have decided to use the module SchedulePages to accomplish this. In fact, I have already implemented this in my dev version and it works brilliantly. Thanks to Jasper for a great module.

OK, I need to make a decision whether: 

1. Scenario #1: This should be an optional add-on to Blog, i.e. those who want to use the auto-publish feature should go ahead and install SchedulePages and optionally maybe, if found on your server but not installed, Blog would go ahead and install it for you. Blog would then use the feature VS.
  2. Scenario #2: Require that auto-publish is always used. In this scenario, the user would first need to install SchedulePages before Blog is installed. If they don't, installation would halt.

The issues with #2 is that I feel I would be forcing users to use a feature they may not be interested in or a feature they could implement using other means, e.g. normal normal cron vs lazy cron. I am therefore inclined to go with #1; make the feature optional. Those who want to use it to go ahead and install SchedulePages and Blog would detect that and work with it in blog-post template and quick post dashboard.

The way I see it, there's 4 camps of users:.

1. SchedulePages already installed but user does not want to use it with Blog
  2. SchedulePages already installed but user wants to use it with Blog
  3. SchedulePages not installed but user wants to use it with Blog
  4. SchedulePages not installed and user does not want to use it with blog

Going with Scenario #1 would cater best for above 4 user camps, I think. Maybe make this configurable in the module post-install screen. Tick a box if you want to use SchedulePages. In that case, the checkbox would be locked for ticking unless SchedulePages was already installed [not just available] on the system (I'll see whether this is doable). Note that SchedulePages itself installs and works with two date/time fields - 'publish_from' and 'publish_until'. Blog would need to add these to the 'blog-post' template after ticking of the above checkbox. This should be doable via an include in init() that would run only once/if checkbox was ticked and SchedulePages already installed. 

Hope I am not complicating this. Maybe there are simpler ways to effect this? I would like to hear and consider your thoughts, thanks :) .

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for bumping in here but coming from Joomla/Seblod I'm still very green when it comes to php and processwire. I love this new world though and I'm setting a responsive site for a local soccerclub!   :)

I went through the docs and Kodongo's tutorial yet there is a snippet I can't find so that for each teampage I can call a unique 'team'category of the blog:

So I first put:

$blogOut = $modules->get("MarkupBlog");
Then things like
   $limit = $page->blog_quantity;
    $content = '';
    //$content .= "<h2>$page->title</h2>";
    //Render limited number of posts on Blog Home Page
    $content .= $blogOut->renderPosts("limit={$limit}");

?>
                 <div id="main" class="block"><?php echo $content?></div>

But what/where do I put the fact that I want that output to be filtered to only render the output of ONE category (for example) 'Fanions'?

I'd really appreciate your answer as it will open my eyes to much more!

Bernard 

(ps. The site I'm creating is kcfheist.be and one of the teampages where I want to put the blog as tab n°1 sits HERE . Note that for all the teampages the trainers and players(spelers) are filtered by a 'select multiple fieldset' so that next year they will appear in both this years team and the team they will belong to next year. Same for the sponsors which all are children of the same parent. Should they want to sponsor an additional team, Then I olly have to tick them 'on' in order for them to appear in another Teampage too)   

• Like 1

Hi Bernard.

Welcome to ProcessWire and the forums :-). Thanks for testing Blog...I hope you have also had a chance to follow some PW tutorials and read through API docs. Blog will make much more sense once you've done that :-)

The answer to your question lies right in the renderPosts() tutorial, specifically about the first argument the method accepts. As stated in the tut, that can either be a string, a Page or a PageArray. In the example below, we pass the method a 'Page'. We look for all posts under the category 'Fanions' (a Page). You could as well have used a selector string.

$blog = $modules->get('MarkupBlog');

$category = $pages->get(1234);//This is ID of category'Fanions'. Can also get by other selector, e.g. name, title, etc.

$posts = $pages->find("template=blog-post, blog_categories=$category, limit=5");

echo $blog->renderPosts($posts);

This code will only return posts under category 'Fanion'.

Hi Bernard.

Welcome to ProcessWire and the forums :-). Thanks for testing Blog...I hope you have also had a chance to follow some PW tutorials and read through API docs. Blog will make much more sense once you've done that :-)

The answer to your question lies right in the renderPosts() tutorial, specifically about the first argument the method accepts. As stated in the tut, that can either be a string, a Page or a PageArray. In the example below, we pass the method a 'Page'. We look for all posts under the category 'Fanions' (a Page). You could as well have used a selector string.

$blog = $modules->get('MarkupBlog');

$category = $pages->get(1234);//This is ID of category'Fanions'. Can also get by other selector, e.g. name, title, etc.

$posts = $pages->find("template=blog-post, blog_categories=$category, limit=5");

echo $blog->renderPosts($posts);

This code will only return posts under category 'Fanion'.

Hi Kongondo,

I'm extremely grateful for your fast response. :)

You really pointed my nose in the right direction. I did a copy/paste and changed the ID to that of the fanions and it worked 'out of the box' (temporary-link). Now I at least I can follow the trail and through trial and error get it completely right so it will fit in the site. 

I'll keep you and the community informed as how I integrate your great module into the soccer site. Hoping that my simple Q. will also help other newbees to distinguish the trees from the bush, again I really thank you!

Bernard

ps. On the page of your tutorial you mentioned above, I really think the optional code for categories would really fit for newbees like me. 

• Like 1

Blog version 2

Introducing Blog version 2! There are lots of changes so this will be a long read.

For upgrading from version 1 to this version, please read the next post.

I’ll appreciate beta testers. As you’ll see below, there’s lots of new things (and combination of things!) to test. Many thanks!

TL:DR: Blog version 2 is available for beta testing. It comes with a two-step installer that allows you to structure where your Blog lives in your page tree just the way you want and cleans-up after itself in case it isn’t your cup of tea. Please see next post about updating version 1 to 2.

Main Changes

1. Configurable

Blog 2 is a now configurable module (i.e. ProcessBlog). On a fresh install, you will first have to set a couple of settings before you can run the module. More on this below.

2. Installer

Blog 2 comes with a two-step installer. No more installing things you don’t want. 

In the first step, you set the module configurations in the module settings page as mentioned in #1. The configurable settings are outlined later below.

In the second step, via the Blog dashboard, you will see an overview of the settings you selected in the first step above. Here you finalise Blog’s installation. Before you click the button to run the install wizard, nothing will happen yet. You can still go back and change the module configuration settings. Until you run the install wizard in this second step, you will have no Blog pages, fields, templates, etc. On this page, you will also be able to rename your Blog’s main pages before they are created. Yes!  If you don’t do it at this stage, you can also rename them post-install in the ProcessWire tree! If you are happy with your settings, click the install wizard to proceed. Blog will be fully installed with your settings before you can dash out to make a coffee ;)  :P . You will then see the familiar Blog dashboard

Please note:

If you need to change some configurations, you can go back to the module settings and do it BEFORE you finalise step two of the installation. It is important that once the installation is finalised, in case you had left the ProcessBlog's module configuration's browser window open, NOT to press submit again. Otherwise, MarkupBlog may not like it :-). However, if you reload the module configurations screen once the second-part of the installer has finished, you will not be able to change the configuration settings. Instead, you will be presented with an overview of your installed settings.

3. Blog styles

Blog now allows you to install your Blog pages from a choice of 4 different URL structures, aka Blog styles! These should cover most (all?) needs. This means that your Blog pages will live exactly where you want them in the tree, hence give you the URL you want. You select the style you want in ProcessBlog’s module configuration screen (first step of the installer). A visual of the 4 styles is presented on that screen.

Example paths for the 4 styles are:

1. Blog style 1: /mysite/blog/posts/example-post/ (similar to Blog version 1)
  2. Blog style 2: /mysite/blog/example-post/ (as requested by FuturShoc)
  3. Blog style 3: /mysite/posts/example-post/ (same as Ryan’s Blog profile)
  4. Blog style 4: /mysite/example-post/ (as requested by PWired)

4. Commenting feature

In the first step of the installer (module's configuration's screen), you can choose to install commenting feature or not. The default is to install commenting feature. If you elect not to install this feature, Blog will not install any comments-related components – so no comment fields, associated pages, templates and template files! Note, you CANNOT add this setting once Blog install has been finalised.

5. Auto-publish/unpublish

This much requested feature has now arrived! You choose whether to install this feature or not via ProcessBlog’s module configuration screen. The default is auto-publish/unpublish is not enabled. If you want to use this feature, you will FIRST have to install the great SchedulePages module. If you have the module installed, this will be specified in Blog’s module configuration screen. Again you will not be able to proceed with installing this feature unless SchedulePages is installed. If you install this feature, you will see two date fields when editing a blog post, i.e. ‘Auto-publish from’ and ‘Auto-unpublish on’. You will also see these two date fields in Blog’s Quick post’s dashboard. Note, you CANNOT add this setting once Blog install has been finalised

6. Templates

Blog will install templates according to the Blog style you have selected. So, if you went with style #4, you will not have a template called ‘blog’ nor one called ‘blog-posts’.

7. Template files

In the first step of the installer (module configurations screen – I know, I am repeating myself!), you have three options when it comes to template files when installing Blog. The default is to install blank template files (with nothing but php tags – a little something to help you get started quickly). The second option is to install demo blog template files (more on this later) and the third is not to install any template files.

8. Demo template files

These files have now been streamlined. No more verbose code! A blog-main.inc contains most of the markup and the other template files contain most of the code. The demo will work with any of the 4 Blog styles.

9. Cleanup

One of the annoying things with Blog version 1 was not only that it installed things you probably did not need, it also left behind, uh, leftovers (templates, role, pages, fields, template files). Well, no more! Uninstalling Blog is now a two-step process. If you are logged in as a superuser, you will see a Blog menu item called ‘Cleanup’. It will lead to a screen with info about all the fields, templates, pages and role you are about to delete. It will also list the Blog template files that, if you wish, you can also delete. This utility is also useful when you want to try out the different Blog styles without uninstalling the whole Blog module. It returns Blog to the state similar to when you first installed the module. Of course, in case you want to remove Blog as well, just go ahead and uninstall in the normal way but AFTER you have cleaned-up :lol: .

10. Renaming Blog pages

As mentioned previously, you can rename any of your Blog pages pre- or post-install. Want Diary or Journal instead of Blog? Sure, go ahead. Want Writers instead of Authors? What about Chronicles in lieu of Archives? You can have those too. The only things you should NOT do are to delete the main Blog pages (i.e. anything other than Example Tag, Example Category and Example Post) OR (however remote the chance of this is) CHANGE the IDs of these pages (in the database). In order to allow for flexibility, Blog stores and tracks its main pages using their IDs.

11. Fields and templates admin tag

In step 1 of the installer you can choose to change the default name of the tag used to group Blog fields and templates in the admin. You can as well choose not to have any tag and let anarchy reign in your admin pages!  :P

12. Context aware

Most of the Blog dashboard is now context aware. It will only display info about Blog components that are installed. No comments? Fine, no comments in Posts dashboard, etc.  Apart from ‘Posts’ dashboard, the other Blog dashboards will be labelled according to the titles of your main Blog pages. For instance, if you called ‘Categories’ ‘Classifications’, that is the name you will see in the ‘Categories’ dashboard label. Same for Authors, Tags, etc. Even Cleanup is context aware and will only list components related to the Blog style you installed.

OK, so how do I get Blog 2? You can install via ProcessWire modules screen. get it on the dev branch of Blog in GitHub. It is also attached below (please use Github - it is the latest version). I thoroughly tested this but I probably missed something or mixed up my code somewhere so there could be bugs :-X. Please help me find and swat them, thanks! O0

post-894-0-34910300-1411146242_thumb.pngpost-894-0-68570100-1411146243_thumb.pngpost-894-0-34452000-1411146244_thumb.pngpost-894-0-67149900-1411146295_thumb.png

Next post, updating Blog 1 to 2.

Edited by kongondo
Added link to Blog dev branch on GitHub
  • Like 9

Updating Blog version 1 to Blog version 2

Note: some paths have changed. You will have to update such paths in your template files. Please see point #10 below

1. Log in as a superuser.

2. Backup your site! (For good measure).

3. Update Blog version 1 to version 2. Grab version 2 in the previous post OR from Blog's dev branch in GitHub

4. Paste the contents of the attached update script (blog-upgrade-version-1-to-2.txt) at the very top of one of your site’s template files. 

This script will create a ‘settings’ page under ‘blog’. The fields in the pages ‘blog’ and ‘posts’ will now reside in this new settings page. Their existing data will be copied over to the settings page. There will be no data loss. In addition, one extra field called blog_small will be created and added to the settings page

• If you want to enable the Auto-publish/unpublish feature FIRST install the module SchedulePages.
  • Second, uncomment line #41 in the update script AND comment out line #40 of the script before copying and pasting.
  • Save the template file.
5. View a page that uses the template associated with the template file in #4.

6. A success message will be displayed if all went OK.

7. Undo the changes to the template file in #4. Save.

8. Go back to your site’s admin to confirm things went fine, in particular:

• Check that a ‘settings’ page was created under ‘blog’
  • View ProcessBlog’s module configuration settings page (admin > modules > blog) by clicking on its settings button. You should see a message about Blog already fully installed
  • Visit Blog Dashboard to confirm things went OK. If you enabled the Auto-publish/unpublish feature above, you should see two extra date fields in the Quick post dashboard (‘Publish from’ and ‘Publish until’). Similarly, edit one of your Blog’s posts pages. You should see these two date fields as well at the very top of the page.
9. Manually remove the now redundant fields in the templates ‘blog’ and ‘blog-posts’.

• Template 'blog': fields to remove:
    • Blog Title - 'blog_headline'
    • Blog Tagline - 'blog_summary'
    • Footer - 'blog_note'
    • Quantity of posts to show on blog homepage - 'blog_quantity'

• Template 'blog-posts': fields to remove:
    • Posts truncate length - 'blog_quantity'. This will now become blog_small in settings page 

10. Edit your template files paths that pointed to these fields you’ve just removed to now point to their counterparts in the settings page, e.g. 

$pages->get('/blog/settings/')->blog_quantity;

That's it. You are updated. If you want to, you can now even rename your Blog pages to whatever you want (within reason of course :P )....

Enjoy! :)

Edited by kongondo
Added link to Blog dev branch on GitHub
  • Like 4

Hello Kongondo,

To update you mention:

3. Update Blog version 1 to version 2. Grab version 2 in the previous post.

Does this mean I just overwrite the existing files via FTP or do I perform an uninstall v1/install v2?

Thank you in advance,

Bernard 

ps. I'm running on PW 2.5

@Bernard,

Thanks for wanting to test. If you are using ProcessWire 2.4 (I think) and above, you can update modules from within admin. If you upload a module that already exists, ProcessWire will automatically upgrade the existing one with the uploaded one. Until Blog version 2 is available in the modules directory, you now have two options of updating from version 1 to 2. 

Method 1

1. Download the above Blog 2 zip package to your computer.
  2. Go to ProcessWire modules screen, click the tab New and scroll down install module via upload (or something to that effect - I am writing this from memory).
  3. Upload the zip file you downloaded in #1. ProcessWire will do its magic.
  4. Follow the rest of the instructions in post #124 above about updating.

Method 2

1. Go to ProcessWire modules screen, click the New tab and scroll down to install module via URL (or something to that affect).
  2. Enter the URL of the dev branch of the Blog project website - link. ProcessWire will update the Blog module.
  3. Follow the rest of the instructions in post #124 above about updating.

That's it :-)

• Like 2