Module: Blog

kongondo

Hi all,

When displaying the Archives by month I want to remove the comment count, author, and page count.

On the post pages I did this by passing an array of options:

$options = array('post_count' => 0, 'post_comments' => 0, 'post_author' => 0);

and then calling RenderPosts:

$blog->renderPosts("limit=$limit", true, $options);

This worked great, but if I try to pass the same set of options to RenderArchives, like so:

$blog->renderArchives($blog->getArchives(), $options);

nothing changes when the page renders. I get no errors, but those items I want removed are still there.

I looked at the code for RenderArchives in the MarkupBlog.module and it implies it does accept an array of options (see here). Is this the case?

Is there a way to stop these items from rendering on the page?

I could set them to display:none in the CSS, but that's not exactly an elegant solution :)

All the best,

Tony.

Tony,

You are looking in the wrong place. renderArchives() is only responsible for all archives (e.g. /blog/archives/) and year archives (e.g. /blog/archives/2015/). For month archives (e.g. /blog/archives/1/) it is all about renderPosts(). Have a look at line # 33 in blog-archives.php. Just before that is where you need to pass your options. I am assuming you are using the blog-archives.php demo template file that ships with Blog. 

$options = array('post_count' => 0, 'post_comments' => 0, 'post_author' => 0);
$content .= $blog->renderPosts($posts, true, $options);
Edited by kongondo
  • Like 1

Hello

I have installed the blog with the blank pages. Of course the wrong one....

I need the files with the blog-templates to get it working.

Now I am wondering if I can just copy the files with blog-templates from another server onto this one and just overwrite the blank-blog templates.

The blog is working on the older test-server ( http://jakubdegler.ch/user3/nojs/ ).

Can it be that simple ( hope so )

Thanks for any help

Jakob

IT WORKED! I WAS AFRAID SO I ASKED, BUT THEN I GATHERED SOME COURAGE...et voila

Thanks again for the great Module Kongondo!

• Like 1

Hello again

Nonetheless, there is one small thing. 

I am using Foundation 6 as framework and all was fine with two columns ( Main -left  and sidebar- right ).

Now I have put the blog into the main column and the sidebar isn't anymore on the right, but wandered off to the bottom.

I guess the solution is in the Blog.css...

What could that be?

Thanks a lot

Definitely a CSS issue. (blog.css). Keep in mind thought that blog.css as well as the blog-xxxx.php template files that come with Blog are all demos just to get you started. In those demos I use pocketgrid.css which will apply a float:left to all divs with the class 'block'. If you wish to use the demo files, you will need to adjust your CSS to use whatever CSS framework you are using as well as check that all the code in the template files apply to your particular need..

• Like 1

Hi Kongondo

Thanks for all the help I got from You. I have the blog working, and everything is great.

I am not yet good with PHP...still lots to learn. 

The website I made is http://olikehrli.ch/. The titles of the individual posts are still links, like in Your Demo. I would like to undo that. I just need the titles with no linkage.

Could You please tell me how I can do that? I looked through all the Blog templates and still have no idea.

Thanks a lot

All the best

Jakob

Here a small and simple trick to add an option like what asked Kuba2/Jakob. We are going to add a new option to renderPosts().

Steps are :

1) Open the file MarkupBlog.module located under site/modules/ProcessBlog/MarkupBlog.module

2) Add the option 'post_href_in_title'

Find the line :

//default options for various aspects of posts

and add the new following entry to the $defaultOptions array :

'post_href_in_title' => true, // if 'post_href_in_title' = true then post's title will contain a link. If false, only the post's title will be show

3) Find :

$out .= "<$h class='post-headline'><a href='{$page->url}'>{$page->title}</a></$h>";

replace to :

$out .= $options['post_href_in_title'] ? "<$h class='post-headline'><a href='{$page->url}'>{$page->title}</a></$h>" : "<$h class='post-headline'>{$page->title}</$h>";

We are done for the new option.

Then, to render the post without a link in post's title, use now the renderPosts() with the option 'post_href_in_title' set to false :

[...]

//Render limited number of posts on Blog Home Page
$content .= $blog->renderPosts("limit=$limit", false, array('post_href_in_title' => false));

[...]
  • Like 1

An option already exist for that. Is "post_comments".

By default the option is set to 1 (it show the comments count on top). You can found further more options and their description/value in the file MarkupBlog.module, renderPosts() method.

Possible values for this option are, from the source code comment : 0=off, 1=comments count top, 2=comments count bottom, 3=comments count top & bottom

So given my previous exemple of renderPosts(), we add the option in the array :

[...]

//Render limited number of posts on Blog Home Page
$content .= $blog->renderPosts("limit=$limit", false, array('post_href_in_title' => false, 'posts_comments' => 0));

[...]
  • Like 2

Hi Kongondo,

Thanks for the great module.

I've been searching all day but been unable to find where I can change the labels of comments as I did for PW comments.

My labels within my Label array aren't working as I thought.

I also looked at for your documentation on your website but seems to be down for the moment.

http://kongondo.com/tutorials/specific-features/creating-a-blog-in-processwire/

What I used before which works for Generic PW commenting system were as followed:

'labels' => array(
        'cite' => '<label for="author">Name *</label>',
        'email' => '<label for="email">Email <small>(will not be published)</small> *</label>',
        'website' => '<label for="url">Website</label>',
        'stars'=> '<label>Rate this page:</label>',
        'submit' => 'Post Comment'

If you can provide any assistance it would be helpful, thanks.

hi, 

When comments are disabled and I access Blog Dashboard, I receive the following error:
ProcessWire: ProcessBlog: SQLSTATE[42S02]: 
Base table or view not found: Table 'xxx.field_blog_comments' doesn't exist

I sent a little pull request which wraps the relevant part in a condition. 

I know, this module isn't flagged as ProcessWire 3.x ready, but I want to tell you anyway: JqueryFancybox isn't part of the Jquery core module anymore. I added this module manually and now the dashboard works as expected. Maybe you would suggest using JqueryMagnific instead in a 3.x ready release, which still is part of the core.

@justb3a,

RE comments, thanks for that. Silly mistake on my part.

Now that I have gotten a little bit used to Magnific, I have been planning to replace use of Fancybox, even earlier than a 3.x release. Whichever way, it is going to happen, thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Is there more I need to know/do in order to get comment notification working, right now I have a PW site that can send emails AOK but no email is sent when comments are submitted. I have edited the field blog_comments in the admin and listed an email address under Details > Notification > Admin notification email.

If relevant, I submitted a test comment before I had added the email above. Since adding the email above I have retried several times and no emails sent yet.

I've Googled quite hard but no luck, sorry if the answer is simple and I missed it :/

PW 2.7.3

Blog Module 2.3.7

Thanks in advance for any ideas! Cheers, -Alan

ugg... sorry to follow this up with ano Q :(

I've noticed that if I edit a users page e.g.

Admin > Access > Users> Elvis Presley

and use the Images field to add a bio photo, when visiting

http://example.test/blog/authors/elvis-presley/

all is good except the image that got stored was put in a folder called

/site/assets/files/-1041
i.e. the folder chosen when the image was uploaded is one that is prefixed with dash/minus.

I assume this is what is stopping the image being shown.

Really sorry if this is something I did somehow but any suggestions where I go to ensure users created stop having image fields that store their files in '-' prefixed folders?

Thanks in advance for any pointers, cheers, -Alan

Edit 1:
Perhaps the answer is that I have
$config->pagefileSecure = true;
in config.php? Testing to see...

Edit 2:
Confirmed, removing the above allows blog profile images to be seen.

Any pointers on how to have the benefits of $config->pagefileSecure (or some other mechanism for protecting files) while not breaking blog bio images? Thanks again for any clues :) Cheers, -Alan
Edited by alan

Is there more I need to know/do in order to get comment notification working, right now I have a PW site that can send emails AOK but no email is sent when comments are submitted. I have edited the field blog_comments in the admin and listed an email address under Details > Notification > Admin notification email.

Works just fine for me. Have you confirmed email is working properly on your server? Tested with other applications?

Edit 2:
Confirmed, removing the above allows blog profile images to be seen.

Any pointers on how to have the benefits of $config->pagefileSecure (or some other mechanism for protecting files) while not breaking blog bio images? Thanks again for any clues :) Cheers, -Alan

No idea, sorry :-). Let's hear what others say

Works just fine for me. Have you confirmed email is working properly on your server? Tested with other applications?

Yes, I have code to reset passwords for users, send info to users etc and that works AOK to send emails on the same site.

I hope I am remembering this correctly, but I think the sequence of events was:

1. installed the blog
  2. test comment
  3. saw the comment listed in the blog control panel but no email
  4. dug around to see where one listed where an admin email ought to go (I should have done this 1st!)
  5. thought I didn't have the comments field type installed and so installed it (was its presence a pre-req' of installing the blog and I missed that step?)
  6. checked the field blog_comments and found it was the correct field type and listed a bunch of blank fields where I was able to list an admin email address etc
  7. did more comments, all worked AOK in all respects other than sending an email

Does that help at all?

Any pointers on how to have the benefits of $config->pagefileSecure (or some other mechanism for protecting files) while not breaking blog bio images? Thanks again for any clues :) Cheers, -Alan
No idea, sorry :-). Let's hear what others say

Fair enough! :) And no problem with this since I've taken an alternate route and am using the FieldtypeSecureFile module to side-step that :)