Module: Blog

kongondo

@kongondo - Never mind I'm sorry, very tired. We did a big redesign a couple days ago and just launched the new website, with your blog as a module as well! Any hoot, I just replaced your updated files from Github and everything seems to be working great! 

Any other steps besides replacing the files you updated 2 hours ago? 

@quickjeff, nope. That should do it. If the version is not showing as 2.3.5 in the modules page on your site, just hit the module's refresh button. Would love to hear about how the site performs if possible, ta.

Edited by kongondo

@kongondo - Quick Question, in regards to spam comments, I installed Akismet module and added an API key because I was getting tons of spams however, spam comments I am getting, if I market these as spam and hit save on the post, what happens to the comment? Should I just delete them instead?

Thanks. .

Going by the setting in the 'Detail's tab in a comments field, under 'Number of days after which to delete spam' (default = 3), I am guessing the spam will be deleted after those number of days. If you want to delete them yourself that's also OK. In the Blog itself, spam comments on the frontend will only be visible to superusers or logged in users who can edit that page. Try it out and see what happens -)

Just to clarify: 

The comments module  is actually not part of the Blog module, but a core ProcessWire module, hence my 'guessing'.  ;)

Edited by kongondo

good evening gentlemen,

so I have recently set up a Vagrant LAMP stack with the your Blog Module to, well, develop a blog.

Unfortunately though, I seem to be unable to reach your website on which you so beautifully used to explain the ins and outs of the API to the module. Apparently the domain got deleted according to the notification on the site.

So, is this a permanent state, did you stop the further development of the module or can we expect to see your site up and running again in a few days?

I really liked the tutorials you offered there, since I don't know that much about web development and it offered a great starting point to get stuff going.

Best wishes, 

DeM

• Like 1

Hi DeM (cool name!)...

Busted!

Yes...the site is currently unreachable...I am moving things around, got caught up in a lot of work and didn't have time to set up the new server with an 'under maintenance' message, blah, blah  :P. Domain hasn't been deleted; it's just not pointing to any IP at the moment...I know, I know, it doesn't look nice but nothing I can do about it, and am not worried about it either ;) . But I appreciate that they tuts were important to you. Glad you found them useful. Hope you can wait a bit longer for me to finish moving stuff. I've got some nice stuff planned...  :-X

Phew, nice to hear that. I was beginning to worry whether the documentation would be gone forever. 

but in that case.... This project of mine doesn't have a schedule so I'm going to wait until you've got your documentation up and running again because w/o it I'm lost.

I'm excited to see the new stuff you've got planned, so good luck on your coding, for now :)....

Greetings from Germany,

DeM

Oh yea, one other thing..... I tried rendering truncated posts on my front page, which worked fine. When I click on "Show more" on the truncated posts, I would expect the module to show me the full post and render the comments section etc.

Well.... the rendering of the comments etc. works but the post remains truncated, though. It also outputs the "show more" link but when I click that, nothing happens. I use the "blog post" template to show individual posts, but I was unable to find a function that shows me the post in full..... 

Back when your blog was online I remembered that there was an argument that could be passed to renderPosts; something like renderPosts(truncate=false) or something like that. I tried that but when I do so, php throws an error. What was the exact argument / the correct way to enable have a single post including comments rendered in full?

Best wishes, DeM

Just remembered that the internet is well, the internet and nothing gets erased (OK, not always) so a snapshot of my old site is on the Wayback Machine. Here you go:

https://web.archive.org/web/20141114094607/http://www.kongondo.com/tutorials/specific-features/creating-a-blog-in-processwire/render-posts

echo $blog->renderPosts($posts);//the default is to show non-truncated posts. So, unless you want them truncated, you don't need the 2nd argument
  • Like 1

Hi 

I tried, but can't completely delete it.

I figured out the problem I had, so there is no need anymore for it.

All it takes is a lot of concentration and staring at the the screen until a solution pops up.

Thanks for the blog module Kongondo!

Hi 

I deleted the Navigation and the sidebars, beacause I don't need them.

Example:

http://jakubdegler.ch/user3/nojs/

BUT!

The paginantion on the bottom does not work, and it also didn't before I deleted the other objects.

Is the pagination-code in blog-main.inc?

Thanks a lot

kuba

FOUND SOMETHING:

The Pagination doesn't work anymore, when I integrate the code below in my template....

In the Blog Demo it works fine.

What am I missing?

Thanks

I included this Blog-Markup on my ownTemplate:

<?php

/**
 * Blog Home template
 * Demo template file populated with MarkupBlog output and additional custom code for the Blog Home Page
 */

//CALL THE MODULE - MarkupBlog
    $blog = $modules->get("MarkupBlog"); 

//subnav
    //we expect only one such page. we do it this way in this demo to accomodate different blog styles
    $categories = $pages->get('template=blog-categories');
    $subNav = $blog->renderNav($categories->title, $categories->children);

//main content

//number of posts to show on Blog Home Page (pagination kicks in if more posts than limit)
    $settings = $pages->get('template=blog-settings');//we get this from the settings page. In your own install you can use a more specific selector
    $limit = $settings->blog_quantity;
    $content = '';

//Render limited number of posts on Blog Home Page
    $content .= $blog->renderPosts("limit=$limit");

//include the main/common markup
    require_once("blog-main.inc");

?>
Edited by kuba2
code formatting

If by pagination you mean the next/prev links, that is rendered by renderNextPrevPosts(). E.g., see the second to last line with $blog->renderNextPrevPosts($page); in blog-post.php demo file

Blog has documentation that covers most of its method. Unfortunately it is currently offline as I shift servers. See the link a couple of posts up for an internet-archived version.

Edited by kongondo

That is rendered automatically by the method renderPosts() depending on whether there are more posts than the specified limit. For instance, if you have 20 posts in total, and your requested 5 (i.e. 5 will be shown per page), then the remainder (15) will be spread over the next 3 pages (5 per page).

Hi Kongondo

I solved it - render posts works.

I had the blog.php code pasted in my own template, and everything from the blog worked except renderposts ( it didn't show the prev posts ).

Now I have pasted my html into blog.php and taken blog.php as the template for this specific site. Now it works.

Could You tell me what exactly i managed to do wrong in the beginning? I don't quite understand why it works this way round and not the other.

Probably something very basic, but I am an almost total php novice.

Thanks again

Kuba