Module: Blog

kongondo

Hi

I have problems installing this module. I tried it with the latest dev branch 2.5.25 on my development installation and also trying the installation with a clean install of PW. When I submit the settings of the module and go to Blog dashboard I get the error: "Field does not exist: blog_date". No fields or templates of the blog are created and no template files are copied into templates-directory. What might be the problem?

Thanks Ipa,

A recent commit to ProcessModule.module in PW dev branch is the cause. Otherwise Blog works fine with versions up to 2.5.24. I have notified Ryan. Basically what is happening is that after that commit, Blog's configuration data is not properly saved to the database so it thinks Blog is already fully installed and it tries to load the dashboard (bypassing the install process). The error about the date is that it is trying to load the archives dashboard, sorting posts by 'blog_date', which of course, at that point does not exist as install did not run... :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi chuguruk,

Welcome to the forums. I am not sure how familiar you are with ProcessWire. ProcessWire does not output anything (in the front-end) unless you tell it to, and even then, only what you tell it to. It is the same with Blog. Unless you either use your own code or MarkupBlog (part of the Blog module) to output your Blog, 'all Blog pages will be blank'. To get you up and running quickly, try installing Blog with the option to install demo template files. Instructions on how to install/reinstall/uninstall Blog are documented here. Documentation about how to use MarkupBlog can be found here.

Let me know if you need further information.

• 2 weeks later...

So here we go,

Manfred62 asked me to push the german translation fo this great addon for processwire...and deliver it with the PW language files on github.

So i started tonight - and fin some little things here and there.

Done a pull request on git for the first one i found:

https://github.com/kongondo/Blog/pull/20

added two pics that show the difference...

for the germant translation i'll take some free evenings since with the installer there is much more text than the first versions ;)

By the way install 2.3.4 runs great and module is for shure great, too!!

Best regards to Kongondo for this big piece of  work - glad to could contribute a little with some lang files! ;)

post-2327-0-72986300-1430951046_thumb.jp

post-2327-0-99294700-1430951033_thumb.jp

• Like 2

So back again,

get some sparetime to contribute to this one.

It's a real beast now with many strings to translate....and i added a few one, too..... ;)

https://github.com/kongondo/Blog/pulls

But here we are.

Complete DE translation for the actual Blog version 2.3.4 (and it's comming pullrequests with additional strings for archive, and pages).

+ Translated SchedulePages module to use both combined.

Important Notice on the main translation thing with the blogmodule:

- Some Strings are taken from the pagetitels of the autogenerated pages for eg. "cathegories" or "archive" so please use the installation step with renaming the parents correct or rename the titels later.....but not the names... ;)

- CleanUp Ultility is not complete translated because it's only a superuser thing wich should be used with care and knowlegde so don't see a real effort to translate this rarely used function...

-Some Strings are not translateable since the where automatic generated on templates and fields so please translate these, too - if needed...

Have fun - Thanks again to kongondo

ProcessBlog-schedulePages.zip

• Like 1

Maybe i've it wrote up wrong.....with the module all is OK

Only the pull request add some strings.

The extra points on the whole translation topic are optional for other users, since some English names have to stay while the are auto generated via the installation....but this should be no real problem.

Regards mr-fan

First. @kongondo, thank you for these modules. 

I have encountered a small bug in the MarkupBlog module (I believe).

When I invoke renderPosts() with just default options, it renders my example set of posts just fine.

When I use the API to invoke the option to make comments (and categories) appear in a post's footer, however, renderPosts() creates some broken content. Specifically, the $numCommentsStr (line 965 in MarkupBlog.module) comes back with HTML-as-text. 

Background:

I installed a new server with PW 2.6, which I then used to DL and install (the latest?) ProcessBlog via the Admin interface. I chose the demo-files option in phase 2, then switched to my own template code, just using the API (and here's my blog.php ):

$blog = $modules->get("MarkupBlog");
$myOptions = array(
        'post_comments' => 2,
        'post_author' => 0,
        'post_categories' => 2,
        'post_large_headline_tag' => 'h3',
);
$content = $blog->renderPosts("limit=11", false, $myOptions);

Straight forward and simple, (inheriting the same appearance code as the main PW example site).

Meanwhile, rendering a single post with the same option (put the comment count in the post's footer) works just fine. Here's that file ('blog-post.php'):

$blog = $modules->get("MarkupBlog");

$blogConfigs = $modules->getModuleConfigData('ProcessBlog');

$renderComments = $blogConfigs['commentsUse'] == 1 ? $blog->renderComments($page->blog_comments) : '';

$myOptions = array(
        'post_comments' => 2,
        'post_author' => 0,
        'post_categories' => 2,
        'post_large_headline_tag' => 'h3',
    );

$content = $blog->renderPosts($page, false, $myOptions) . $renderComments . $blog->renderNextPrevPosts($page);

I examined the module code and couldn't determine what is corrupting the $numCommentsStr. I did notice a difference in the syntax used to render the same element (top uses an if statement and just appends to $out, while bottom uses a ternary op and temp var and concats a bunch of stuff at once), and the odd re-usage of a var $comments (which everywhere else is used to hold an array of comments), 

It is interesting to recognize that the badly-rendered post (the one with comments) renders out HTML that actually belongs to the post from the previous iteration.

Here's the screenshots (multiple page with bad content and single page with good render):

ProcessBlogMarkupCommentsBug.png

ProcessBlogMarkupCommentsBug2.png

I'm a vet C++ programmer, just ramping up to really learn PHP, so forgive me if I'm missing something obvious. Maybe it's a combination of having two non-default options (no Author output + bottom comment count)-- I haven't tried all combos to help with the debugging. I thought I'd call on more experienced PHP folk first...

TIA for any comments.

@Metadope,

I'll test this and get back to you. It may not be for a few days though...

Btw, this line is only in the demo since the demo cannot know the type of 'blog style' selected by the user. Otherwise, you don't need it in your own template files since you know whether you installed blog with the comments feature..

$renderComments = $blogConfigs['commentsUse'] == 1 ? $blog->renderComments($page->blog_comments) : '';

So, just render blog comments if you need to without the conditional check :-)

• 2 weeks later...

@all....Please rest assured I haven't forgotten your requests/concerns. I am still totally swamped with other stuff. Hoping to free up some time soon to address all pending issue. Thanks for your patience.

Good afternoon, fellas,

sooo I installed the blog module, and it works totally fine, kicking ass and everything, I love it.

I'm currently working on a site which is not a blog, but has a blog- subpage, which I got rolling. But what happens, or more like what do I do, if I want a second Subpage on my site which uses the blog - functionality? is there a way to achieve this?

consider the following page tree:

Home

stuff -> regular  content

stuff2-> Blog 1

stuff3 -> Blog 2

.. and so on.

so basically I would want two subpages on my site on which I would be able to publish blog posts independent from each other, which (in my opinion) would mean that I could tell the blog module at a certain point to publish a post on either one of these two pages.

Help would be much appreciated.

Best regards, 

DeM

/edit:

so I kinda had an idea for an approach to a solution to my problem, my thought was, that I could use two templates, which output blog posts by category, so basically I'm looking for a function which outputs posts with category "blog1" on the first page and in a second php script, one that outputs posts with category "blog2" on a separate page.

so far though, I couldn't find anything about that in the documentation, I only found output filtered by post author, does the same apply to post category?

//edit 2: I managed to do that, just had to change a few lines in one of the php files. Finally, everything works, and I have to admit, I am totally impressed. this module kicks ass in any way imaginable. Thank you so much Kongondo.

Greetings from Germany,

DeM

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@kondongo

I'm ProcessWire noob and I can't figure out where I'm going wrong.

I've installed the modules as described in the read me file and it appears to have worked.  I've selected the settings (Step 1) that I want to use, but when I go to "Blog" in the admin I get the error message shown in the screen shot:

post-3491-0-45902200-1433880998_thumb.pn

I've tried Googling it, but was left empty handed.  Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

@simplesequence - welcome to PW - sorry for the rough start, but looking at your screenshot I see that you are running v2.3. According to the modules directory, kongondo's blog module isn't compatible with this version. It requires 2.4+

PW's current stable version is 2.6.1. Is there any reason you are running 2.3?

• Like 1

I have enabled tags for blog_images field to use the featured image feature, but the tags are not saving. What could be the reason for tags not saving? I am using the latest dev version 2.6.4.

• 2 weeks later...

Any plans to add gravatar or avatar to comments and if not, am looking to implement one for my website, you don't mind pull-requests ?

Hi Adrian are there any plans for comments to add Gravatar support, I really need it for my site, so I want to know if there's plan for it so I can look at your code and if not, so i can advance and integrate one with your comment and send you a PR. it makes me feel comfortable seeing avatars on my comments. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Sephiroth - remember this is kongondo's module, not mine but I am sure he would appreciate PRs. 

I know that he has been very busy with other things lately and hasn't had much time in the forums, but hopefully he can review and accept a PR fairly quickly still.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, 

I have some trouble with the blog-author role. 

I have also an editor role which can edit and add the pages. 

exampleuser 

- editor-role

-blog-author

but only superuser can edit the Pages. How I can handle this problem ? 

Thanks 

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone gotten a slow loading time with a timeout ? When I go to the blog dashboard on a local install, it wont load. In the blog dashboard however, if I go to admin/blog/posts I can see the posts, I can also get to settings, authors etc. but not dashboard. Its very odd. :-(

This is after I imported 420 posts using the wordpress migrator.  The posts were migrated correctly and all fields match. Its just an odd bug. Could it be its installed locally? Its very odd. I can go to /admin/blog/posts and categories, tags, authors, settings, cleanup but the dashboard times out. It will load forever and then fail. :-(

I turned on debug and saw that the memory_limit was under what ProcessWire was requiring. 

I am running Mamp and I just increased the memory_limit and the maximum_execution time. I had to crank it to 500M in order for it to work and 60 seconds. 

Is that normal? 

I went back and adjusted ProcessBlog.module $posts to limit=10 and still showing a long load time.

I turned on debug and saw that the memory_limit was under what ProcessWire was requiring. 

I am running Mamp and I just increased the memory_limit and the maximum_execution time. I had to crank it to 500M in order for it to work and 60 seconds. 

Is that normal? 

I went back and adjusted ProcessBlog.module $posts to limit=10 and still showing a long load time.

Doesn't sound right at all. 500M makes it sound like all your posts are getting loaded into memory all at once.

Taking a quick look at the ProcessBlog.module, there's actually a bunch of queries without proper limits defined, such as this one for an example: wire('pages')->find('template=blog-post, include=all, sort=-blog_date, parent!=7'). If you want to debug this further, I'd try disabling all queries that find blog-posts without a proper limit, and see if that helps.

Kongondo would know better how to handle these, if they're the issue here. Loading all posts into memory at once definitely shouldn't be the only option :)

• Like 1