admin (processwire) not found - 404

Gazley

Hey guys,

I'm using Laragon (as pointed out by @Mike Rockett and it's really great. However, today, I tried to go into the admin pages under the URL http://angie.local/processwire and for some strange reason, I'm just getting a 404:

Not Found

The requested URL /processwire was not found on this server.

I haven't changed a thing and am not sure where to start with this. I have never created a PW site without referencing the admin but any name other than "processwire".

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Cheers!

Hi @dragan,

The frontend is fine. I checked the admin name and it is "processwire". I also did a session redirect from inside the home page but got exactly the same 404 response. This is really weird - according to the DB, the last time the admin was accessed (by me only) was 24/8. I haven't touched anything to do with this, templates, DB, nothing.

Dunno?

Hi @dragan,

Just an aside, I put some debug code into the site root folder's index.php and noticed that it is hit when I load the site/homepage (angie.local/) but it isn't hit when I load angie.local/processwire !?

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Hi @Mike Rockett - yep, it all works fine. I'm confused because the request for the processwire page isn't hitting PW at all. So, I'm guessing it's something to do with the web server but, I haven't touched any of that stuff in Laragon. It's worked fine from the outset and just this weirdness today when trying to get into the admin page for the first time in days. Just been building out twig templates and getting used to UIKit3 so, done nothing in the backend for a while.

53 minutes ago, Gazley said:

Hi @Mike Rockett - yep, it all works fine. I'm confused because the request for the processwire page isn't hitting PW at all. So, I'm guessing it's something to do with the web server but, I haven't touched any of that stuff in Laragon. It's worked fine from the outset and just this weirdness today when trying to get into the admin page for the first time in days. Just been building out twig templates and getting used to UIKit3 so, done nothing in the backend for a while.

I can't make sense of that at all -- there's no reason I can think of that it'd be happening. All basic requests to the directory are supposed to be passed through index.php?it={req}, and so if it's not hitting index.php at all (hence the error you're getting), then it can only mean that something is interfering somehow... That's the best guess I have, I'm afraid.

• Like 1

Hi @Mike Rockett 

Sorted out the problem and it seems it was to do with my "understanding" of Laragon. I was physically selecting my laragon/www/angie directory as my document root. This allowed me to run angie.local but failed miserably using angie.local/processwire. 

When I selected c:\laragon\www as my document root, they both work. For some reason, I thought you had to select the directory of the project you were working on but it seems, I missed the point here. Is my "realisation" your understanding too?

Cheers :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gazley said:

Hi @Mike Rockett 

Sorted out the problem and it seems it was to do with my "understanding" of Laragon. I was physically selecting my laragon/www/angie directory as my document root. This allowed me to run angie.local but failed miserably using angie.local/processwire. 

When I selected c:\laragon\www as my document root, they both work. For some reason, I thought you had to select the directory of the project you were working on but it seems, I missed the point here. Is my "realisation" your understanding too?

Cheers :)

Laragon allows for multiple virtual hosts so that you need not change your document root. If you do change it to your project's working directory, then it would be served via localhost.

As such, the localhost domain should point to the default Laragon www directory, and any virtual hosts you define via the Quick Create method will create a new directory inside the localhost document root, and the virtual host will point to that new directory. So the setup looks something like this:

localhost -> path\to\laragon\www (navigating to localhost should show a listing of your vhosts, just to test that it's working)
  - angie.local -> path\to\laragon\www\angie\
  - test.something.local -> path\to\laragon\www\test.something\
  - laravel.local -> path\to\laragon\www\laravel\public\
  - (etc.)

In my case, I have a separate drive just for my sites, and so my document root points to z:\sites.

I'd suggest you do is open up the Laragon context menu and select Quick Create -> Configuration. Add the following to the file that opens in Notepad++:

ProcessWire=https://github.com/processwire/processwire/archive/master.zip

Then, when you go to the Quick Create menu again, you will see ProcessWire listed. Select it, and it will ask you for the name of the project, so just type in the name excluding the domain extension (TLD). It will automatically create the new virtual host that points to the subdirectory in your document root, and your hosts file will be amended automatically.

In the case of ProcessWire, the virtual host that Laragon creates will automatically point to the subdirectory as its document root. If you Quick Create Laravel, however, it will point to the sub directory's public directory (as shown above). This is a little 'smart' feature that Laragon has to make peoples lives easier.

Hope that clarifies everything for you. :)

• Like 3