What do you think about making the module extensible via hooks?

I had a client request a sitemap that included videos. Now, methods of storing videos differ: file fields, video URLs, embed codes, and so on. I suspect there's no straightforward way to include videos in the sitemap using just this module.

However, implementing this on a site-by-site basis would become simple if there was a way to hook into the sitemap creation process and append different definitions like video or news item yourself.

Of course, I could create the whole sitemap from scratch — but your module does a lot of things very well and I'd love to build upon that.

Thanx for your module - MarkupSitemap, v. 0.4.1. Works perfect (PW 3.0.123)!
What about adding 'x-default', a reserved hreflang attribute, when no languages match? recommended by Google & Yandex.

"Use the x-default tag for unmatched languages. The reserved value hreflang="x-default" is used when no other language/region matches the user's browser setting.
This value is optional, but recommended, as a way for you to control the page when no languages match."
google.com/webmasters/answer/189077#sitemap | webmasters.googleblog.com/.../x-default-hreflang-for-international-pages.html

<xhtml:link rel="alternate" hreflang="x-default" href="...URI-to-default-language..." />

Something like this:

hreflang-x-default.png.990282f0039da0baa083a1cb7fe86841.png

• Like 1

Google Search Console talk: "Sitemap file is in HTML format" 😭

Hey @Mike Rockett,

Any chance you could add this module to Packagist?

Would love to use it on my current project, but I'm relying on Composer. Would be nice not to have to install this module via Git or add the repository manually to composer.json. It would also be awesome if you could declare type as pw-module and add wireframe-framework/processwire-composer-installer as a dependency for easy installing.

Thanks for considering! 👌🙂

• Like 3

I just installed this module as an upgrade to the Markup Sitemap XML module and I really like it, thank you!

Unfortunately, I found that adding the "license" field to a image using ImageExtra doesn't display the license despite using a valid URL: https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/

Hey @teppo - sorry for the delayed reply here. This can definitely be done. Good work with the composer installer - haven't been around for a while now, so didn't see it pop up. 🙂

Hey @Lance O. - You're very welcome - glad you like the module! 🙂 I don't think your issue is related to the URL validator, as the filter does say that URL is valid, as expected. This leads me to think that it's a spelling issue with the field name, though that seems unlikely. Would you mind doing a little debugging and checking to see if the URL does indeed get knocked out at https://gitlab.com/rockettpw/seo/markup-sitemap/blob/master/MarkupSitemap.module.php#L447?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mike Rockett said:

The module has been published to Packagist, under rockett/sitemap. 🙂

Awesome, thanks Mike! 🙂

@Mike Rockett

Sure, let me know exactly what you need me to do. Here is the field settings as copied from phpMyAdmin, in case there is something incorrect there:

{"description":"The Open Graph Image is used when sharing the page to social media services like Facebook and Twitter. Upload images that are **1200 x 630 pixels** for the best display on high resolution devices. At minimum, use images that are **600 x 315 pixels**. Be sure to include a description to be used as the alt tag.","textformatters":["TextformatterEntities","TextformatterStripTags"],"extensions":"jpg jpeg png","maxFiles":1,"outputFormat":0,"defaultValuePage":0,"useTags":0,"inputfieldClass":"InputfieldImage","collapsed":2,"descriptionRows":1,"gridMode":"list","focusMode":"on","resizeServer":0,"clientQuality":90,"overwrite":1,"maxWidth":1200,"minWidth":600,"minHeight":315,"tags":"meta images","icon":"tag","fileSchema":6,"otherField":"License","otherFieldSettings":"{\"cf_textformatter\":{\"license\":\"\"},\"cf_label\":{\"cf_label__license\":\"\"}}"}

@Lance O.

Looks like it could well be a case sensitivity issue with the license field, where yours is using an upper case "L", it is actually expecting it in lowercase. Are you able to rename the field and try again? Whether or not that fixes it, I'll need to push an update that converts the casing appropriately.