Recommending the Vivaldi browser...

szabesz

Earlier this week I bumped into the Vivaldi browser for the first time. Vivaldi is yet another Chromium offspring but it is a rather good one I think, hence the idea that I should recommend it in the Forum.

When installed in Vivaldi, most Chrome extensions run without issues but Vivaldi's user interface is very different from the standard Chrome UI that is why there can be issues with extensions relying on some Chrome UI stuff.

Nonetheless, I can run two of my favorites:

I do not want to list all the cool features Vivaldi has; you might want to take it for a test drive to see them for yourself.

I would like to note that I actually use three browsers for my daily routines (and of course others for testing frontend but that is a different story...):
- "standard" Chrome for development (no content changing plugins are installed here).
- Vivaldi for regular browsing on the net (hence the two extensions highlighted above) -> I used to use Chrome Canary for this.
- Firefox for logging into various hosting control panels I have to use for work.

To tell the truth there are some features I miss when using Vivaldi but the sheer number of Vivaldi only useful features convinced me to make the switch. I hope some of you will also find Vivaldi to be a viable alternative.

Have a nice Sunday :)

I haven't switched to it because devtools can't be opened attached, only in a separate window. Have they changed it lately?

I'm happy with Slimjet, it's also Chromium based but allows many useful additional features, and available as a portable version too (for Win).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LostKobrakai said:

it's been the first time I stayed with it longer than 2 or 3 weeks.

:) My "record" with the desktop Opera is a few hours, I think. I used to use Opera mini a lot during the golden days of the Nokia.

BTW, quote from the Wikipedia article:

"Vivaldi is a freeware, cross-platform web browser developed by Vivaldi Technologies, a company founded by Opera Software co-founder and former CEO Jon Stephenson von Tetzchner and Tatsuki Tomita."

also

"Vivaldi began as a virtual community website that replaced My Opera, which was shut down by Opera Software in March 2014.[16] Jon Stephenson von Tetzchner was angered by this decision because he believed that this community helped make the Opera web browser what it was."

I tried Blisk a year ago or so. It was buggy as hell :) Have they managed to make it usable since then, I wonder? Its most useful features are still on the way, as far as I can see. Maybe when it gets all it's features it will be worth its price (if they do not happen to raise it...)

• 3 years later...