Featured Page

Rich Torres

Hello there fellow PW people,

I am looking to feature a different page every week on the home page. I am building this web site, but not maintaining the content. I wanted some thing like a checkbox that would turn a page into a 'featured' page. this checkbox could only be used by one page at any given time. So if another page is chosen as featured, it would have to lose this value.

I am kind of at a loss where to start. I have done some searching, but perhaps my keywords are not allowing something I am looking for to pop up.

Thanks in advance!

Rich Torres

How about something like this?

• Create a Checkbox field called featured, add it to a template
  • Hook into Page::savedField, return if field name is not 'featured'
  • Check if $page ($page = $event->arguments(0)) has $page->featured=1
  • Perform a $pages->find("featured=1, id!=$page")
  • Iterate over those pages and set featured=0

Now one potential problem that comes to my mind is that as you're iterating over these pages, the hook will be called over and over. Setting $event->cancelHooks = true before you do the iteration should cancel subsequent hooks, but I haven't tried it.

• Like 1

I'm an idiot... page reference field on home page... all those duckduckgo searches... wasted :'(:lol:

abdus, thank you for such a hasty reply. I will make note of this, as I am sure this will help me further my understanding. I am sure this info will come in useful in the near future.

There should be at most 1 page with featured=1, but $pages->find() returns PageArray, you'd have to iterate over it but it's just semantics. 

What I'm interested is how you'd get a hook to run just once and stop further hooks from getting triggered inside that hook.