How to upload files without changing original filenames

homma

How can I upload files without changing the original filenames?

I use processwire in English and Japanese.
When I upload a file, the filename is sanitized and changed to an alphanumeric name.

I need some files to be uploaded with original filenames with Japanese characters (2-byte characters).

Is there a good way to do this?

Thanks in advance,

Yu

Hello Gideon,

Thanks for your message. It's a pity that non-alphanumeric filenames are not supported.
I need to integrate another file management system just because of this. Wordpress has a option to keep the original filenames, but I really want to use Processwire for my project.

@ryan, do you have any plan to implement this feature, in the core or plugin (or anything)?

Yu

16 hours ago, homma said:

I need some files to be uploaded with original filenames with Japanese characters (2-byte characters).

may i ask WHY? if we know the reason we may can suggest some other way of achieving almost the same need ;)

Hello all,

Thank you for your advice!

@bernhard, the reason is that I need to let users download files with Japanese filenames.
So, as @abdus suggested, if I can change the filename to, for example the value in 'Description' field of the file, it is OK.
I don't need to keep original filenames on the webserver.

Would you advice me how I can do this?

Thank you!
Yu

you could just take the code example from abdus, activate url segments for your site and do something like this:

// list your files to download
foreach($page->files as $i=>$file) {
  echo '<a href="' . $page->url . $i . '" target="_blank">Download File ' . ($i+1) . '</a>';
}

and in your template file:

if($num = $input->urlSegment1) {
  $file = $page->files->eq($num);
  // continue with abdus script
}

maybe not without bugs but should show one possible solution :)

Hello @Gideon So and @adrian,

Thank you for sharing the github link. I quickly read the threads and noticed some people have the same concern.
I wanted to test the modified core file, but the Dropbox link seems to expire now. Do you happen to have a copy?

I currently try the solution bernhard and abdus suggested, but it turns out simply use Content-Disposition doesn't work on some browsers.
I'm looking at this code now, which partially solve my problem.
http://qiita.com/mpyw/items/202bef4349bfdc7e5c13#_reference-20f16504015c97498dc5 (article in Japanese)

Yu

11 hours ago, homma said:

Hello @Gideon So and @adrian,

Thank you for sharing the github link. I quickly read the threads and noticed some people have the same concern.
I wanted to test the modified core file, but the Dropbox link seems to expire now. Do you happen to have a copy?

Yu

Hi @homma,

Yes. I do keep a copy here. It is for 3.0.42. I am not sure whether it works with the latest version.

Gideon

ProcessWireUploadDemo.zip

• Like 1