Code running unacceptably slow

alxndre

function copyParent($begin, $times) {
    for ($i=$begin; $i<=$times; $i++) {
        $limit = 50;
	$set = $i;
	$start = ($set-1) * $limit ;
        $tx = wire('pages')->findMany("template=transaction-earn, start=$start, limit=$limit, sort=transactiondate");
        if ($tx->count < 1) {
            wire('log')->save('migration', "no mas transaciones");
            break;
        }
        wire('log')->save('migration', "updating $start to" . $set*$limit);
        foreach($tx as $t) {
            $p = $t->parent;
            $t->setAndSave([
                'tagreference' => $p->tagreference,
                'idreference' => $p->idreference,
                'transactiondate' => $p->transactiondate,
                'merchantreference' => $p->merchantreference,
                'userreference' => $p->userreference,
                'terminalreference' => $p->terminalreference,
                'offline' => $p->offline,
                'amount' => $p->amount,
                'product' => $p->product
            ]);
        }
    }
}

I have this code that i'm trying to run in the background to copy some data from a parent node to a child node. The problem is each  iteration of this code runs for about 15 seconds for every 50 pages saved / copied (or about 200/minute). I have about half a million of these pages to update and it would take 2 straight days running. 

Maybe someone could point me out to what's causing the slow down? Or if anyone could suggest a better way to do what i'm trying to do. Thank a lot, as usual. :)

Edit: By the way, the reason I'm doing this is because when I'm trying to query the child nodes with criteria from the parent node, it takes an incredibly long time, but takes close to nothing when I tried copying some to the child node and do the query there. I hope that helps a bit. 

$tx = wire('pages')->findMany("template=transaction-earn, start=$start, limit=$limit, sort=transactiondate, [tagreference=$tag, merchantreference=$merchant]");

just a wild guess and maybe complete nonsense but did you try your script without the logging? the log saves to files, so maybe that's getting slow (and huge logfiles)?

but copying half a million pages data from parents to children sounds not too good anyhow and i guess (second guess in 3 sentences ^^ ) there is a better solution...

• Like 1

Not sure if it could cause the issue, but in your copyParent() function you could try find() instead of findMany() - no need for findMany() when you have a limit of 50.

Also, the selector you posted looks a bit off:

$tx = wire('pages')->findMany("template=transaction-earn, start=$start, limit=$limit, sort=transactiondate, [tagreference=$tag, merchantreference=$merchant]");

What is going on with the section in the square brackets at the end? Looks a bit like a subselector but you are not matching it against a field.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...