PW 3.0.68: More on page export/import

ryan

8 hours ago, szabesz said:

Thank you @ryan, pretty impressive so far!
Just one question: are we going to be able to save "presets" too? So that predefined export/import settings can be made available when needed.

Hi @szabesz 

I think that if import/export functionality will be possible from API side, we will be able to easily build custom process modules with some predefined patterns for import or export. Hope that multilanguage support will be introduced as multilanguage type of setup currently is default for me ))

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Zeka said:

we will be able to easily build custom process modules with some predefined patterns for import or export.

Hi @Zeka

Sure, however the most convenient way to do it is "just to save" what you've put together in the admin. Besides, site editors could do it too, just like working with Find's Bookmarks or ListerPro's Listers.

Hi Ryan,

This will be great and handy in many cases I guess, thank you :)

Some questions that come to my mind:

Will it be possible to choose a subset to import? That could be great for doing backups and having granular control over what to restore.

Not sure about this, that's why I'm asking: what do you think about adding the possibility to include modules to the export? It could be taken as some kind of "site profiles", but much more flexible.

For example you could build a master site profile, install a new sandbox site, import your profile and during the import you could choose which pages and which modules to import.

Hmm.. thinking about it it would also be nice to have the same feature for templates as a next step. Maybe that goes too far, but maybe that's already your plan for the long run?

Would be interested to hearing your opinion :)

Have a nice weekend everybody!

• Like 1

Just one question: are we going to be able to save "presets" too? So that predefined export/import settings can be made available when needed.

Yes, planning on this. May not be in the initial public/dev branch version though.

Is multilanguage support planned?

Most definitely. I think that part of it should already work, but have not spent time testing it yet. That's probably one of the next things I'll be testing here, as this would be needed before adding it as a core module. 

Will it be possible to choose a subset to import? That could be great for doing backups and having granular control over what to restore.

It will work like the existing template/field import, i.e. you'll be able to un-check certain updates that you don't want to occur. Though for applying granular updates, the JSON copy/paste is really nice, as you can also just modify the JSON directly too. 

Not sure about this, that's why I'm asking: what do you think about adding the possibility to include modules to the export? It could be taken as some kind of "site profiles", but much more flexible.

Not planning to pursue that. This is purely about page import/export. If it needs a particular Fieldtype module to be present in order to import a field, it'll let you know of the prerequisite. The info about required Fieldtypes are stored in the export, so that the import can look at that before attempting import. 

Hmm.. thinking about it it would also be nice to have the same feature for templates as a next step. Maybe that goes too far, but maybe that's already your plan for the long run?

This one has already been in the core for awhile. :) See Setup > Templates, then see the Export/Import buttons at the bottom. We have the same for fields as well. 

• Like 10

• 3 years later...

@ryan The export/import module is great, but it would be nice if it could import focus points of images and SVG files. ?

Not sure if I should post this to the Wishlist board or as processwire-request issue on GitHub. Just wanted to mention it.

Regards, Andreas

• Like 1