Module: Comments Manager

ryan

One thing that would be useful would be the ability to filter by page

That's something that we already have, as the comments appear in the page editor for every page. The purpose of this module is to provide all the other possible views. Though it could be said that this interface is better for managing comments in general, so we may eventually make it the standard and keep them out of the page editor. This is in part because the page editor doesn't scale well to situations where you start having hundreds of comments on a page. It'll work, but it's not designed for pagination, whereas the Comments Manager is. So a page-level filter probably will be coming to the Comments Manager.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I might well be confused here - still just getting a full handle on permissions and roles and the excellent "Page Edit Field Permission" module, but after giving a user access to edit pages and then giving them access to edit just one template, I have noticed that through the admin panel they can go into Setup > Comments Manager and change the "Type" for any of the comments.

Is it possible I have given them permission to this inadvertently somehow, or is this a bug?

Currently the CommentsManager is available to users with 'page-edit' permission. I'll add some custom permissions for the next version of this. But if you want to change the behavior now, edit the ProcessLatestComments.module file and change this line (near the top):

'permission' => 'page-edit',

to this:

'permission' => 'comments-edit',

Then go to Admin > Access > Permissions, and add a new permission named 'comments-edit'. Then assign this to any roles you want to have access to it. If you only want it to be superuser, then you don't need to assign it to any roles. 

That's perfect for now - thank you. This permission stuff is all starting to make sense now :)

I guess why I find the current scenario weird is that in the end I haven't even given them access to edit any templates - so they could edit comments, but nothing else. I only set their role to page-edit to allow access to the select image/insert image modal popup. Of course your reply to that issue of mine should help me disable them from admin access altogether. 

• 7 months later...

Hello,

I'm using the Comments Manager module on my site and I was wondering if there was a way to block comments on certain pages. I'm sure this would be possible by coding something in my templates, but I looked for a simple 'Disable comments on this page' checkbox in the 'Edit' area where comments are listed at the bottom of the page and couldn't find it.

Do you think this could be a possible new useful feature for this module?

Please understand I'm not saying 'do this for me please'. Maybe there's another easy possibility to achieve this which I can't think of at the moment. I must admit I haven't spent much time thinking about it. I'm just facing this issue right now and thought about a checkbox ;-)

Hi celfred,

You could easily add the checkbox field to the page yourself.

1. Create a new field called: "disable_comments". Choose checkbox as the fieldtype.
  2. Add this field to the required template. 
  3. In your template have some code like this:
    if($page->disable_comments !== 1){

echo $page->comments->render() .

$page->comments->renderForm();

}

That should be close to what you need!

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Just tested here and Chrome and it seems to be working for me. I'm on dev 2.3.7, though I don't think it would matter to comments manager. Are there any other factors you can think of or steps to reproduce?

• 5 months later...

Hey guys,

i've got two questions about the handling with the comment manager ( using pw 2.4.2 )

First:
In the comments manager setup you can select the comments field ( comments or Kommentare ) from where you want to display your comments from. i'am using the comments-field as pagefield. there is a second point displayed thats called "kommentare". i can't find that kind of field as a pw-pagefield. do you guys know whats it all about this "field"?

post-2037-0-46100000-1401602262_thumb.pn

Second:

is it possible ( or scheduled ) to add a reply-functionality to the CM. i think this could be a nice additional function.

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I just upgraded to PW 2.6  The new Comments Admin requires me to remove  this Comments Manager , but when i try to uninstall it i get a :

Fatal error: Class 'Comment' not found in /var/www/web207/html/site/modules/ProcessLatestComments/ProcessLatestComments.module on line 59

Comments Module is installed.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I’m using the Comments module via the Blog module, and I’d like to add ‘placeholder’ texts in the name, email, and text input fields of the comment function. How do I do this with the least amount of surgery? (And BTW, should ‘placeholder’ not be included by default in the Comments module markup? I think it ought to.)

• 1 year later...

When you for example use this on a webshop to allow comments on products , one thing you really miss is the name/title/otherfield  of the page where the comment belongs to.  Going through all Product pages to look for a new comment is really painfull. 

Is there a way to display the page name, id or whatsoever in the overview. Maybe even 1-3 configurable fields , or a link to edit the relevant page ?

That also would be helpfull if you have a spontaneous diskussion in your blog comment, that goes in a wrong direction. Just hop to the page and follow it whithout other posts and spam between the messages.    

Awesome module, thanks for coding it!

Another issue i have is that when i edit the comments from the page they belong to the headlines say nothing about the content ?

BESTäTIGT: Kommentar #1  veröffentlicht vor 32 Minuten von pogo

Say absolute nothing ...

So if you look for a certain Comment you have to open all comment lines manually.

How about something like :

BESTäTIGT: #1 This is the first line whith some text ....  veröffentlicht vor 32 Minuten von pogo

Or maybe :

BESTäTIGT: Kommentar #1  veröffentlicht vor 32 Minuten von pogo
This is the first line whith some text at least this should contain the first 100  characters....

In addition to that a search field would be genious!!