Members Messaging

benbyf

HELLO!

I've been working on a user messaging module which I am nearly ready to release as version 1.

Currently I have the below functionality and I'm looking for feedback to what other things may be useful for people looking to add user to user messaging on their sites.

• compose message to one or more users known to PW
  • js to enable tag based UI display of user names input on compose message form
  • display all message threads with reply forms
  • reply to message thread displaying each user name by each message in the thread
  • display "unread" when a thread has new content that hasnt been seen by current user
  • delete or unpublish message thread (configurable)
  • display total message thread count
  • display total unread threads (threads that have new replies that the current user has not seen)
  • delete all message threads and associated data (not meant for the users to have access to)

road map

• send email to user on new message to a thread they are included in
Edited by benbyf
title typo
  • Like 8

Hi @benbyf

What is "Memebers"? ;) Jokes aside, I would love to see "shared message boards", seen by defined group members (roles), so that site editors/administrators can send/discuss important messages in order to better collaborate, say on a dashboard which loads first when logging into admin. Does your module support something like that? I cannot seem to decipher this from your description above. 

Thanks in advance, BTW, sounds like a nice module anyway.

Edited by szabesz
typos
  • Like 1

Well, I'd better show an example, I guess. Something like this:

http://www.theblog.ca/wordpress-post-notes

On the WP dashboard there is a "collaboration notes made by others" and underneath there is an AXAJ form to add more notes. It is like a simple message board when used with this simple setup. This WP plugin has more to it than a "global" message board, but I've never tried those features. Most of the time a simple FB like flow of conversation is enough when only a few editors are using a site.

Maybe your module is not about such a feature?

Edited by szabesz
typo
  • Like 1

@szabesz not what i intended, but probably not a long shot to create a mini module using the messaging but in the admin to be viewed by all users with the permissions. will look into it after I've published the main messaging module. Thanks

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
7 hours ago, szabesz said:

Hi Ben,

I'm still interested as long as it is also about admin side messaging out of the box.

Do you mind giving me a description of your use case, look back over your comments but still cant quite get my head around it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, benbyf said:

a description of your use case

Maybe watching something similar helps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_d0hZ8iS344

I'm thinking of logged in users being able to post messages in the PW backend which supports remote collaboration, or support developers by providing some means to announce changes made to the site. Currently if users want to communicate, PW does not support them at all.

• Like 2

On 2/19/2019 at 8:26 PM, szabesz said:

Maybe watching something similar helps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_d0hZ8iS344

Seems pretty straightforward especially if capturing flow of conversation is not important. If that is a requirement, maybe Comments module (or borrowing from it) would cut it? Just wondering out loud...

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, kongondo said:

If that is a requirement, maybe Comments module (or borrowing from it) would cut it?

I think so, making use of the Comments module sounds like a really good idea. The youtube link I posted was just about the "dashboard like" behavior but besides being able to post announcements some simple conversation would be nice to have too.

1 hour ago, szabesz said:

The youtube link I posted was just about the "dashboard like" behavior but besides being able to post announcements some simple conversation would be nice to have too.

Not wanting to go OT here, if this is the case, I'm wondering if this is better off as a separate/standalone module (so, new topic ?) from what is described in the first post of this thread?

EditHmm..Or maybe what you describe falls within the remit of what the module in this thread is about? I think am just confusing myself now. Anyway, let me know...

Edited by kongondo
  • Like 1

On 2/23/2019 at 10:48 PM, kongondo said:

EditHmm..Or maybe what you describe falls within the remit of what the module in this thread is about? I think am just confusing myself now. Anyway, let me know...

I think Ben's "specification" is just somewhat vague so that is the source of our confusion. Anyway, Members Messaging can be either for frontend or PW's backend or even for both but in the latter case it would probably be practical to split the code among "submodules".

• Like 2

14 hours ago, szabesz said:

I think Ben's "specification" is just somewhat vague so that is the source of our confusion. Anyway, Members Messaging can be either for frontend or PW's backend or even for both but in the latter case it would probably be practical to split the code among "submodules".

Module was created to track date/time based messages between one or more users. That said it might be I could use it to create a new module that has an admin page that acts as a conversation between the logged in user and the admin or any other users.

If you're looking for a less structured, freeform notes sort of collaboration thing then let me know and ill have a think.

• Like 2

Thanks for the additional explanation!

I am after something like this:

22 hours ago, benbyf said:

That said it might be I could use it to create a new module that has an admin page that acts as a conversation between the logged in user and the admin or any other users.

19 hours ago, szabesz said:

I am after something like this:

1 hour ago, bernhard said:

That would be fun to build! ? If only I had time for it...

I had a stab at this over the weekend (during my free time, ahem).  I'm finalising it now. Hope to post alpha(-ish) version tonight. I'll start a separate thread.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1