HUGE issue with Slashes

PWaddict

I transferred a site from localhost (XAMPP Windows) to a live server (Linux) and it's impossible to edit the translations files. When I try to edit for example the LanguageSupport.module I'm getting this error: Session: File does not exist: /wire\modules\LanguageSupport\LanguageSupport.module (translation file not needed? textdomain: wire--modules--languagesupport--languagesupport-module)

I'm guessing the issue is caused because of the slashes:

On localhost the paths for translation files are using backslashes:
\wire\modules\LanguageSupport\LanguageSupport.module

while on a live server the paths are using forward slashes:
/wire/modules/LanguageSupport/LanguageSupport.module

As far as I know, all translations are kept as json files on assets/files folder. I don't think they will be deleted if you uninstall the module. Give it a try but backup the json files first. 

In order to uninstall LanguageSupport.module I have to first uninstall LanguageSupportFields.module, LanguageSupportPageNames.module and LanguageTabs.module and PW won't let me uninstall the LanguageSupportFields.module because there are fields with multi-language values.

I found the solution. I have to replace the slashes on each file value from the json files for each language.

This is from localhost:

"file": "wire\\modules\\LanguageSupport\\LanguageSupport.module",

Must be changed to this in order to work on the server:

"file": "wire\/modules\/LanguageSupport\/LanguageSupport.module",

The funny thing is that I changed them on localhost too and they working fine. So the question is why on localhost have been used the 2 backslashes instead of the 1 backslash and 1 forward slash?

9 hours ago, PWaddict said:

The funny thing is that I changed them on localhost too and they working fine. So the question is why on localhost have been used the 2 backslashes instead of the 1 backslash and 1 forward slash?

PHP's path-related functions return the native directory separator between directories. Since the backslash is also the escape character, it has to be escaped itself to be recognized as a backslash, hence the double backslashes. The backslash in front of the forward slash, while it does no harm, isn't necessary.

Try adding this:

if(DIRECTORY_SEPARATOR != '/') $data['file'] = str_replace(DIRECTORY_SEPARATOR, '/', $data['file']); 

To /wire/modules/LanguageSupport/LanguageTranslator.php to public function saveTextdomain(), right after $data = $this->textdomains[$textdomain];

9 hours ago, matjazp said:

Try adding this:

if(DIRECTORY_SEPARATOR != '/') $data['file'] = str_replace(DIRECTORY_SEPARATOR, '/', $data['file']); 

To /wire/modules/LanguageSupport/LanguageTranslator.php to public function saveTextdomain(), right after $data = $this->textdomains[$textdomain];

Same problem.

7 minutes ago, matjazp said:

You should resave your translations first. Or try with new translation.

I did that and it auto replace the slashes properly but at the same time it erased my translations strings. But that was already happening before editing the public function saveTextdomain().