Unchecked checkboxes issue

onjegolders

Hey guys, I'm having an issue where I have a checkbox for deciding whether a link is shown to a website. I have a field to hold the url and the checkbox field.

My code is:

if ($page->project_url AND $page->show_url = 1) { ?>
<a href="<?php echo $page->project_url; ?>" target="_blank" class="project_link flr tar">←  Visit Site</a>
<?php }

I have also tried in parentheses:

if ($page->project_url AND ($page->show_url = 1)) { ?>
<a href="<?php echo $page->project_url; ?>" target="_blank" class="project_link flr tar">←  Visit Site</a>
<?php }

The problem is, the links are displaying regardless.

Any ideas what I may have done wrong? I'm still wearing my dunce's hat by the way...

A handy bit of info on comparison operators: http://php.net/manual/en/language.operators.comparison.php

In your case you're making $page->show_url equal to 1 regardless of it's true value by setting it to 1 using just one '=' whereas you need two '==' to compare the field value against another value.

Granted, PW's selectors only use one = but they're a bit special like that ;)

Thanks both of you, it doesn't seem to work though with "==" either.

I'm sure I've seen checkboxes with single "=" too as Pete mentions.

The field is definitely called show_url so not too sure what is happening here.

Is there any way to debug?

Thanks.

Just an idea, what do you get doing the following:

var_dump($page->project_url);

Because if $page->project_url is null/false or an empty String '', the if condition will never be true.

Empty strings are converted to false by PHP.

Edit:

Oops just realized that your problem's the opposite. :rolleyes:

You must use the "==" operator.

What do you get when you're doing this on a page where show_url should be false:

var_dump($page->show_url);

A single "=" will only work in PW's selectors like $page->find('something=something') and so on - you must have double == to compare values in normal PHP as per the link I posted.

Strange that that's not working either though, but a single "=" is definitely wrong.

Just a thought - what is the expected value of $page->project_url? If it's just a text field then you might want to check it's not empty with if (!empty($page->project_url as it would exist whether empty or not, so simply doing if ($page->project_url would always be true I think. If on the other hand it is a Page fieldtype, then try if ($page->project_url->id instead.

Hi Pete, sorry we must have posted at the same time!

Thanks for clearing up the "=" thing.

The value of project_url is a url (I guess a text string) but my if statement specifies project_url AND show_url so both criteria ought to be met before outputting the url.

I'm guessing the int(0) means that show_url is unchecked?

Which is sort of good news I suppose except that it's still displaying, I will have to go over it again to see if I'm missing something stupid!

Wanze, I've just copied and pasted your if statement and I don't believe it because it works! So strange as I have tried (or so I thought), every permutation with both single and double "=".

I must have missed something out, though I was sure I tried this exact statement! Strange....

Anyway, a big thank you for all of your help.

I guess you got this thing because you used AND operator, not &&. AND has less priority then && and combined with = (assign operstor) instead of == (equality comparison operator) it gave you this strange behaviour.

I guess you could also do this, granted your $page->show_url takes values only of 1 and 0:

if ($page->project_url && $page->show_url) {
//do your thing
}
  • Like 1