Template associated to an _include.php page: possible???

ARG

Hello. Sorry in advance for the super basic question, from a total begginer: 
-when I want to create a new template in the admin, I have to create firstly a ''new.php'' page in the site/template folder. 
-Is it possible to do the same in an ''_new-include-some-page.php''  in the site/template/include folder?
I was thinking to a solution: removing the Include folder, and put all the .php pages in the template folder.
But, I am sure I am missing something, and other solutions exist.
An advice?
Thank you for your time.

Not sure I'm getting exactly what you want to do.

You can specify a different file for a template. Edit your template and in the Files tab, look for "Alternate Template Filename". I've never tried pointing to a subdirectory there, but don't see a reason for it not to work.

You can, as monchu stated, simply not create the file. I use file-less templates all the time, whenever the frontend doesn't require an actual page to exist.

I do something like this, see the 'includes' and 'views' folders. I find it easier structured like this but you can do it any way you like :)

structure.thumb.png.f999441737ad55fe3659bbf13c2f5018.png

I set templates to 'main' in the alternate template section:

alt-template-filename.thumb.PNG.153cc344e875ae8b7858068f9c64d94c.PNG

...then once you've created a page using the 'about' template (created in the admin), when you visit 'site.com/about', main is used to output the contents of 'views/about.php' and a couple of includes:

// main.php

<?php namespace ProcessWire; ?>
<html>
<head></head>
<body>
    <?php include("./includes/_header" . ".php"); ?>
    <?php include("./views/{$page->template->name}" . ".php"); ?>
    <?php include("./includes/_footer" . ".php"); ?>   
</body>
</html>

I never got used to the delayed output. I like the simplicity of this approach.

This is just one of the many ways you can do things in PW, experiment, have fun :) hope this helps.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎2017‎-‎07‎-‎20 at 10:05 AM, SamC said:

This is just one of the many ways you can do things in PW, experiment, have fun :) hope this helps

This describes a kind of liberty ... (this is why I find Processwire so attractive).... but...
..''Is the technology an instrument of liberation or enslavement?'' 
You have four hours. GO !
Just joking :-)
Thank you for the answers: each of them open up the door a little more.

• Like 2

On 01/08/2017 at 1:42 AM, ARG said:

This describes a kind of liberty ... (this is why I find Processwire so attractive).... but...
..''Is the technology an instrument of liberation or enslavement?'' 
You have four hours. GO !
Just joking :-)
Thank you for the answers: each of them open up the door a little more.

Have some fun with it. There's no magic, it's all in the docs. Go to the docs, read, test, read some more, test again. This was a total boost for me at the beginning. The docs are excellent and explain a lot of things. For example, you could start here:

https://processwire.com/api/variables/pages/

What I'm saying is, the help pages link so well together that every time new questions are kicked up, the answer is just a few clicks away. And this forum is phenomenal for support. Stick with it, you'll be able to make some cool things in no time. Once you find a way that suits you in terms of organising your data in your site, the templates, fields etc... then it's just a matter of getting stuck into the docs to find a way to print these values to a webpage. Further in, you'll probably want to do some more complex things with the data, but deal with that when you get there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SamC said:

you'll be able to make some cool things in no time

Oh no ! Cool things need time to be done. The difference between mediocrity and quality, is, frequently, the addition of time to talent, and work. 
But I am patient...
Thank you again.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, SamC said:

Once you find a way that suits you in terms of organising your data in your site, the templates, fields etc...

Yep, it is worth spending the time on this stage, I 100% agree! This is the key to get to speed with ProcessWire based development.

• Like 1