Installation Instructions

AlyxGD

I am just starting with process wire, and have never created a website - could I get instructions on Installation? The instructions on the PW website are way too advanced. (I am trying to do changes for someone, who's previous web developer used this site). Thanks in advance

9 hours ago, AlyxGD said:

I am just starting with process wire, and have never created a website - could I get instructions on Installation? The instructions on the PW website are way too advanced. (I am trying to do changes for someone, who's previous web developer used this site). Thanks in advance

Hi @AlyxGD and welcome to the forum.

Do you need to install it if you're making changes to an existing site? And if so, what have you tried so far?

• Like 1

Thank you Sam. I'm a freelance graphic designer and a design client wants some small changes to his website. I'm not a Web developer or programmer, not even close!! His site was built by an agency a few years ago with processwire 2.4. I have no idea about php and Web servers. The backend of the site is domain name/backend and gives the client the ability to make small changes to existing text and images blocks, but the changes he wants are more advanced. My understanding so far, is thst requires installing the whole program, and installing other requirements. No idea how to even start. I realize processwire is assuming the user has that knowledge so even the forum q&a's are way past me. I can't even figure out what to do with the zipped folder sitting on my desktop, and from the installation instructions, I can only find how to set up a new site during installation, not edit an existing site. 

Any help you can offer would be wonderful, or I will just confess to the client it is over my head and help him find a more appropriate Web developer.  Thanks in advance, 

Alyx

Welcom @AlyxGD! I recommend starting with these, in this order:

If after checking these above you still feel like diving into web development, I recommend installing ProcessWire on your own machine to play with it a little bit to get the hang of it.

If you don't feel like dealing with all you've seen above, I recommend looking for a ProcessWire web developer:

https://processwire.com/talk/forum/22-jobs/

• Like 3

Hi, this may help to start, however, most in Polish or German but easy to understand ... Watch and Learn :) ...
----------------------- LEONID LENZER =>
GOOD TUTORIAL

----------------------- XTRA-STRONA =>
1 INSTALLATION METHOD

2 - Localhost to Internet

3 - PROCESSWIRE + UIKIT

4 - PLAYLISTS

-- PROCESSWIRE  STARTING

-- PROCESSWIRE + UIKIT :) ( BEST SELECTION FOR QUICK START)

-- CREATE SIMPLE TEMPLATE ( BUT NO USING NEW TEMPLATE STUCTURE )

-- PROCESSWIRE - NEW TEMPLATE STRUCTURE

-- Processwire Great Multi Language Support

• Like 3

hi alyxgd and welcome to the forum :)

besides all the links you already got i would recommend you proceed like this:

1. backup your existing site
  2. bring a copy of your existing site to your local computer
  3. do your changes on your local computer
  4. create a copy of your website on your web-server (eg on a subdomain: new.yoursite.com)
  5. bring your local copy to your live server and test if everything works
  6. if everything works, overwrite your old site with the new one

caution: all data that is created between downloading the website and uploading it again will get lost. so if you have something like a guestbook or any other user generated content that could maybe get lost or you would have to deactivate your site for that time. if you only have a simple site (like it sounds from your description) that will not be an issue.

people here are always really quick with answering questions so i'm sure you will always find a helping hand.

if you want to save time and only focus on point 3 i'm sure you'll find someone here that can help you and has all the other points done in under 2 hours...

good luck ;) and i hope you enjoy processwire...

• Like 4

On 16/07/2017 at 7:56 AM, SamC said:

@AlyxGD I'd go with the suggestion above. If it's something I can help with, I'm on the lookout for extra work at the moment.

Sam, I think I am going to pass this over. I just don't have the time or patience to learn a new program right now. Where are you located? Can you do phone calls and emails with this client?

On 16/07/2017 at 11:30 AM, bernhard said:

hi alyxgd and welcome to the forum :)

besides all the links you already got i would recommend you proceed like this:

1. backup your existing site
  2. bring a copy of your existing site to your local computer
  3. do your changes on your local computer
  4. create a copy of your website on your web-server (eg on a subdomain: new.yoursite.com)
  5. bring your local copy to your live server and test if everything works
  6. if everything works, overwrite your old site with the new one

caution: all data that is created between downloading the website and uploading it again will get lost. so if you have something like a guestbook or any other user generated content that could maybe get lost or you would have to deactivate your site for that time. if you only have a simple site (like it sounds from your description) that will not be an issue.

people here are always really quick with answering questions so i'm sure you will always find a helping hand.

if you want to save time and only focus on point 3 i'm sure you'll find someone here that can help you and has all the other points done in under 2 hours...

good luck ;) and i hope you enjoy processwire...

Thank you so much. To be honest, this is more programming and technical than I want to learn right now, but I will keep this information for when I have more time to sit down and get started with pw.  Thank you for all the help tho!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AlyxGD said:

I will keep this information for when I have more time to sit down and get started with pw.

+1 tip then:

https://www.lynda.com/learning-paths/Web/become-a-full-stack-web-developer

I find that Lynda's video tutorials are among the best ones and with a subscription you can watch them "all". Those that are linked on the page above are good ones to begin with but after watching/doing "Programming Foundations: Web Security" you might want to jump right into ProcessWire because by that time you will have learned enough.

These tutorials do not seem long, however, if you don't just watch them but copy what they do (which is recommended) then it can take weeks to do them all. ProcessWire is the best CMS for complete beginners, you've come to the right place, BTW :D

Good luck!

14 hours ago, AlyxGD said:

Sam, I think I am going to pass this over. I just don't have the time or patience to learn a new program right now. Where are you located? Can you do phone calls and emails with this client?

Hi @AlyxGD you can PM me if you like. I'd need to know the full details to decide whether it's something I can help with. I'm in the UK, can do email, possibly phone depending on where you ar (I can't see a location on your profile).