multilingual if statement

Peter Knight

I was trying to fix an error earlier which was preventing a series of if statements from working.

Basically I have a button called "Product Drawing" which needs localising depending on the current language session.

Eventually got it working - I had a bracket in the wrong place.

Curious as to why both these work though.

On the sample below. each echo is surrounded by curly braces.

<?php 
if ($page->files->count())
foreach($page->files->findTag('drawing') as $file)	
{
if($user->language->name == 'default') {echo "<a href='$file->url' class='uk-button uk-button-primary'>Product drawing</a>";}	
if($user->language->name == 'french') {echo "<a href='$file->url' class='uk-button uk-button-primary'>Le plan du produit</a>";}	
if($user->language->name == 'german') {echo "<a href='$file->url' class='uk-button uk-button-primary'>Produktzeichnung</a>";}		
if($user->language->name == 'spanish') {echo "<a href='$file->url' class='uk-button uk-button-primary'>El dibujo del producto</a>";}	
if($user->language->name == 'italian') {echo "<a href='$file->url' class='uk-button uk-button-primary'>Il disegno del prodotto</a>";}	
} 
?>

On the sample below, there are no curly braces around the echo

<?php		
if ($page->files->count())
foreach($page->files->findTag('breakingreport') as $file)	

{
if($user->language->name == 'default') echo "<a href='$file->url' class='uk-button uk-button-primary'>Breaking strain report</a>";	
if($user->language->name == 'french') echo "<a href='$file->url' class='uk-button uk-button-primary'>Le test de rupture</a>";	
if($user->language->name == 'german') echo "<a href='$file->url' class='uk-button uk-button-primary'>Bruchfestigkeit bericht</a>";		
if($user->language->name == 'spanish') echo "<a href='$file->url' class='uk-button uk-button-primary'>Informe resistencia</a>";	
if($user->language->name == 'italian') echo "<a href='$file->url' class='uk-button uk-button-primary'>La rottura rapporto ceppo</a>";	
} 
?>

Should the second piece work?

5 hours ago, Peter Knight said:

Basically I have a button called "Product Drawing" which needs localising de

I'm curious, why didn't you use PW's translation capabilities, in this case, to avoid the code repetition?

1 minute ago, Sérgio Jardim said:

I'm curious, why didn't you use PW's translation capabilities, in this case, to avoid the code repetition?

You mean create a field somewhere called "download button" and translate it with the field's language tabs?

Yes if you expect the user to translate it by him/herself.

But if it's your job, just wrap the string in code and translate it in the language settings page, loading the PHP file there.

Although, I've found the use of a single file to handle all strings, like a _translations.php much easier. I just include it within my _init.php. I have one here with 225 phrases and counting. :)

• Like 1

translations.php
_x('Поиск', 'General');

function _t($text, $context = 'General', $textdomain = '/site/templates/helpers/translations.php') {
  return _x($text, $context, $textdomain);
}

echo _t('Поиск');
  • Like 1

@Peter Knight Here is exactly what you need to do:

Create a new file under templates: _translations.php. Inside add all your translatable words or phrases like this:

$page->__product_drawing = __('Product Drawing');
$page->__buy_now = __('Buy Now');
$page->__read_more = __('Read more');

Then on your _init.php add this:

include_once("./_translations.php");

Then on the templates you want to display for example the "Product Drawing" add this:

$page->__product_drawing

Now all you have to do is to go on your Languages under admin and then find the file _translations.php and start translating all the strings you have there.

• Like 1

@PWaddict I'm not really sure why you would bind your translations to the page object. What if you want to use those in a context, where there's no $page variable present? Wouldn't it be better to just create a new WireData object (like $static_translations) and return that. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, LostKobrakai said:

@PWaddict I'm not really sure why you would bind your translations to the page object. What if you want to use those in a context, where there's no $page variable present? Wouldn't it be better to just create a new WireData object (like $static_translations) and return that. 

I'm using it on PW & Padloper templates and it's working fine. Although I haven't tested yet the email templates from Padloper. If you want post all the steps required in case I need to do your method.

On 08/07/2017 at 7:27 AM, PWaddict said:

@Peter Knight Here is exactly what you need to do:

Create a new file under templates: _translations.php. Inside add all your translatable words or phrases like this:

$page->__product_drawing = __('Product Drawing');
$page->__buy_now = __('Buy Now');
$page->__read_more = __('Read more');

Ok so I create a php file called _translations.php. I upload it to site/templates/ directory.

Do I then need to add it as a template under Admin > Setup > Templates  > Add new template?

On 08/07/2017 at 7:27 AM, PWaddict said:

Then on your _init.php add this:

include_once("./_translations.php");

I don't already have that file. if I create a file called _init.php does it live under /site/ or /site/templates?

go on your Languages under admin and then find the file _translations.php and start translating all the strings you have there.

My Languages page under Admin > Setup  just has my 5 languages listed. 

If I click into the French one, the only thing I can see is a field called Core Translation Files

I know I'm probably missing an earlier step.

OK I think I see my missign step.

When I click into a language under Admin > Setup > Languages

I need to look at a field group called Site Translation Files

I need to select the button called Find Files to Translate which brings up a list of files in /site/ and then select my _translations.php file

The only issue I have is adding this to my template outputs nothing

<?php echo $page->__product_drawing ?>

Also tried 

<?php echo $page->__product_drawing; ?>

2 hours ago, Peter Knight said:

The only issue I have is adding this to my template outputs nothing

1. Put the _init.php under site/templates directory.

2. Add the following code on the site/config.php file and you're ready:

/**
 * Prepend template file
 * PHP file in /site/templates/ that will be loaded before each page's template file.
 * Example: _init.php
 * @var string
 */
$config->prependTemplateFile = '_init.php';

• Like 1