FieldtypeHandsontable: Excel-like Inputfield

bernhard

Hi everyone,

I'm proud to share my first fieldtype module and I think it's a quite handy one :) It helps you to create all kinds of table/matrix inputs very quickly and easily. You have loads of options for customizing your field via plain javascript. See the handsontable docs for that

Please consider this module ALPHA until i got some more time to test it. Any help would be highly appreciated :)

Numbers are for example always tricky. Different locale settings, different types, rounding errors and so on...

Download:

https://gitlab.com/baumrock/FieldtypeHandsontable

Result:

594fc7a584cbf_2017-06-2516_21_20-EditPage_Homehandsontable_dev.png.f6a082a1d109b32779d8b4541bdb219c.png

Installation/Configuration:

Just install the Fieldtype, add a field to your template and set the handsontable options in the fields details. If you have InputfieldAceExtended installed you will also have code highlighting for your code:

594fc8b053b88_2017-06-2516_27_56-EditField_handsonhandsontable_dev.png.7124d5f4b079fc85ebc472ef1576932a.png

Get data:

If you retrieve the data from the API with outputformatting ON you have some helper methods available:

• getData() + getRows()
    get all data of the field

• getRow($row)
    get one special row, eg getRow(1) or getRow("2017")

• getCols()
    get all data but by columns not by rows

• getCol($col)
    get one special column, eg getCol(1) or getCol("mycolumnheader")

You can also access rowHeaders and colHeaders directly (see examples)

Simple Example:

Caution: the examples below are outdated! see this post: 

Spoiler

Result:

594fc7a584cbf_2017-06-2516_21_20-EditPage_Homehandsontable_dev.png.f6a082a1d109b32779d8b4541bdb219c.png

Field config:

var colheaders = ['Jan', 'Feb', 'März', 'Apr', 'Mai', 'Juni', 'Juli', 'Aug', 'Sep', 'Okt', 'Nov', 'Dez'];
hot.updateSettings({
    colHeaders: colheaders,
    minCols: colheaders.length,
    maxCols: colheaders.length,

rowHeaders: false,
    minRows: 1,
    maxRows: 1,
});

Get data:

594fc836e13ad_2017-06-2516_26_32-EditPage_Homehandsontable_dev.png.d1e6e20dadc53c447b7067f6eef31d1d.png

Example with rowheaders:

594fcb13c5662_2017-06-2516_38_50-EditPage_Homehandsontable_dev.png.79f055f420dff24ed5d3d74f3985a6fe.png

var colheaders = ['Jan', 'Feb', 'März', 'Apr', 'Mai', 'Juni', 'Juli', 'Aug', 'Sep', 'Okt', 'Nov', 'Dez'];
var rowheaders = [2017, 2018, 2019];
hot.updateSettings({

rowHeaders: rowheaders,
    minRows: rowheaders.length,
    maxRows: rowheaders.length,
});

594fcb9b94ffb_2017-06-2516_41_14-Console.png.b8132e53941863befa5d4fb35671c9e6.png 594fcc3c67ae8_2017-06-2516_43_05-EditPage_Homehandsontable_dev.png.98efcea57dc22a2cc1f2b5b1a06014a4.png

Use data from the server-side:

You can do all kinds of stuff with the table when communicating with your backend via the pw js() function:

594fcd26e8f36_2017-06-2516_47_39-EditPage_Homehandsontable_dev.png.5897691f58eeb11fb8fe2e2eeb225df0.png

// inside /site/ready.php
if($page->template == 'admin') {
    $paths = $pages->find('include=all, limit=10')->each('path');
    $config->js('demodata', $paths);
}

var colheaders = ['one', 'two', 'three', 'four'];
var rowheaders = ProcessWire.config.demodata;
hot.updateSettings({
    rowHeaders: rowheaders,
    minRows: rowheaders.length,
    maxRows: rowheaders.length,

rowHeaderWidth: 250,
});

You get the idea ;)

• Like 25

Thanks for the new fieldtype @bernhard

Can you give me an example of a particular use case where you have used this fieldtype. I know there are some examples in the post above, but I guess they are only for demonstration purposes. Do you have an example of a real life usecase so I can get an idea about how it can be used?

Best regards

hi @Juergen

of course i can, there are a lot ;)

In general this field is useful whenever you need array- or matrix-like inputs. I use the field for my custom CRM to input the controlling values for my clients revenues.

|  jan     |  feb   |  mar  ...
-------------------------------------
goal 1  |  10.000  | 15.000 | 20.000
goal 2  | ...
goal 3

It replaces lots of repeaters and not so userfriendly inputs.

I didn't mention that you also have lots of possibilities of live-validating your data (you could for example make all cells with not properly formatted dates have a red background).

5950ce982ff16_2017-06-2611_03_09-EinstellungenProcessWire.thumb.png.37fbbd9092e143400e71d640d8e0efef.png

You see the inputfields at the bottom of the screenshot? It was too complicated to build a table-like input for that values (month values). Pagetable is too bloated for that. Maybe the matrix inputfield would have been an option, but still i think the handsontable has a huge potential. So i ended up having a simple textfield input and telling my client to devide all values by commas... not the best way!!

So whenever you have thought of a field telling your clients "one on each line" or "devided by comma..." this field could help you out.

• Like 3

Some more nice features

• copy&paste (eg from excel)
    that way the field could be used as an import-interface with live preview (much more userfriendly than CSV in my opinion)

• auto-add-rows (coulb be used as something like a repeater-replacement) 
    sparerows.gif.79cdcd21c01a77628cc36c3bc1213702.gif
    hot.updateSettings({
        colHeaders: ['Foods'],
        minCols: 1,
        maxCols: 1,

minSpareRows: 1,
    });

• auto-add-cols (like tagging)
    sparecols.gif.b2d21ed028d4440a80b61b5c121ff7bb.gif
    hot.updateSettings({
        colHeaders: false,
        minCols: 1,
        minSpareCols: 1,

rowHeaders: ['Foods'],
        maxRows: 1,
    });

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

That looks awesome. I finally found some time to play around with it, and I'm quite impressed.

I can already see some concrete usage scenarios - especially what you already mentioned re: when it's too tedious to go the "export CSV from Excel, import CSV to PW" route.

I am somehow stuck though when trying to add i18n options to the datepicker. I took your example (Jan-Dec), added a few options, and everything worked fine in the back- and frontend, but now I don't see that handsontable anymore in "page edit" mode. I get a message saying "Please save this page to be able to change this content". I did that repeatedly, but it's always the same. Funnily enough, I don't see any errors in the PW error log, and the frontend works just fine (granted, it's only a print_r() so far, but at least it still fetches something from PW and spits it out correctly).

Did you run into similar situations? Any idea what I did wrong? This is my JSON:

var colheaders = ['Jan', 'Feb', 'März', 'Apr', 'Mai', 'Juni', 'Juli', 'Aug', 'Sep', 'Okt', 'Nov', 'Dez', 'Datum'];
hot.updateSettings({

copyPaste: true,
    autoWrapRowBoolean: true,
    autoWrapColBoolean: true,
    columns: [
        {},
        {},
        {},
        {},
        {},
        {},
        {},
        {},
        {},
        {},
        {},
        {},
        {
            type: 'date',
            dateFormat: 'DD.MM.YYYY',
            correctFormat: true,
            defaultDate: '01.07.2017',
            i18n: {
               previousMonth : 'Voriger Monat',
                nextMonth     : 'Nächster Monat',
                months        : ['Januar','Februar','März','April','Mai','Juni','Juli','August','September','Oktober','November','Dezember'],
                weekdays      : ['Sonntag','Montag','Dienstag','Mittwoch','Donnerstag','Freitag','Samstag'],
                weekdaysShort : ['So','Mo','Di','Mi','Do','Fr','Sa']
            }
            datePickerConfig: {
              firstDay: 1,
              showWeekNumber: true,
              numberOfMonths: 3,
              disableDayFn: function(date) {
                return date.getDay() === 0 || date.getDay() === 6;
              }
            }
        }
  ]
});

Edit: D'oh - I missed a comma after the i18n block... OK so the table is back, but although Saturdays + Sundays are deactivated, and Monday is set as the 1st day of the week, the days and months still display in english. Guess I have to dig into the original docs a bit further...

Thanks for this great addition to PW!

• Like 2

@bernhard, this looks like a really useful module, thanks for making it.

When using FieldtypeHandsontable values as part of a $pages->find() selector, is it possible to search for values in particular column or row, or in a specific column/row combination? Like in the "row headers" example in the first post, is it possible to match pages where "Juni 2018 = 60"?

• Like 1

hi robin, thanks for your words :)

i've not yet found the time to make the field queryable via pw selectors. i'm not sure how that should (could) be implemented in the best way. as i've never built a queryable inputfield i would be happy to hear some thoughts about it from someone more experienced.

... or a PR where i can learn from :P 

• Like 1

Sorry if I ruin your Saturday... :-)

I ran into a problem when I copy and pasted something from MS-Excel, where some fields contain line breaks.

The frontend displays everything correctly. But in page-edit, I get a JS error, and the same msg again: "Please save this page to be able to change this content"

When I inspect the offending line, it's the first occurance of a line break in var field = JSON.parse

Do you have any idea what could cause this? 

pls-save-this-page.png

pw-backend-hot-js-error.png

• Like 1

Hi, thanks for the nice module, I like HoT.
About this:

On 08/07/2017 at 1:31 PM, bernhard said:

i've not yet found the time to make the field queryable via pw selectors. i'm not sure how that should (could) be implemented in the best way. as i've never built a queryable inputfield i would be happy to hear some thoughts about it from someone more experienced.

HoT fields are stored as a json string, so seems that there are no chances of being easy queriable :/ 
I would like to see some workarounds or some clues on that subject.
Thanks again

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got a chance to try it and this module is great, and will solve innumerable content management conundrums.. Here's my first use, on a quotes rotator section:

Field Config:

var colheaders = ['Author', 'Publication', 'Quote'];
hot.updateSettings({

maxRows: 5,
    width: 900,
    contextMenu: true,
    autoWrapRow: true,
    autoWrapCol: true,
    colWidths: [200,200,500],
});

edit screen:

lk_quotes_section.thumb.jpg.4a6e64693b9b4d8546990716f5ee3fb5.jpg

output:

lk_home_quotes.jpg.e7c32216e6e3a76b933ac5b7af1efdc3.jpg

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

just pushed another update!

CAUTION: THIS HAS A BREAKING CHANGE since I changed how the settings get modified.

the reason why i did this is that some settings can only be set BEFORE initialisation of the table. the customBorders is an example.

you now have two events that you can hook into:

• beforeInit.rht
  • afterInit.rht

If you want to modify the settings before initialisation you can do this:

// make custom borders
$(document).on('beforeInit.rht', '.handsontable', function(e, settings) {
  $.extend(settings, {
    customBorders: [{
      range: { from: { row: 0, col: 2 }, to: { row: 10, col: 2 } },
      left: { width: 4, color: 'red' }}],
  });
});

after initialisation you can do this (similar to how it was before):

$(document).on('afterInit.rht', '.handsontable', function(e, hot) {
  var colheaders = ['one', 'two', 'three'];
  hot.updateSettings({
  });
});

now you can also add CSS files to your table by naming it like your field and saving it inside the /fields folder:

#wrap_Inputfield_archimport .handsontable td:nth-child(2),
#wrap_Inputfield_archimport .handsontable th:nth-child(2) { border-right: 4px solid #6c6c6c; }

#importbutton { margin-top: 10px; }

59b95eeb8a520_2017-09-1318_37_48-EditPage_mailtestneu(Feedbackarchitecture)360.hrdiamonds_com.png.c86afcd1582672d7e1b911afc72da4f3.png

• Like 1

Thanks @bernhard

but the problem is only there by installing or upgrading Handson tables. I did a lot of other updates (PW, some field types and modules,...) - without any problems.

21 minutes ago, bernhard said:

hi jürgen, why did you do the update?

I guess you mean how, because I did it to get the latest version? I made it with the default PW update - like all others.

After the update failed, I deinstalled and deleted the module. Afterwards a fresh install of the module was done from the PW module directory. There are no other error messages than the one I have posted above. I have Tracy running beside - but no error message.

Best regards

i guess that's an issue with the modules directory. can you please download the latest ZIP and install it manually?

i don't know if the modules directory also works with gitlab... i just tried that by submitting my module and it seems it does NOT work.

be advised that the update has a breaking change and you need to rewrite your javascript field settings after the update. the module is still alpha and more of those changes are still likely to come...