Error when trying to add modules

Margie

Hi,

I'm new to the forums, but I've been using PW for some personal sites for a while - I love it.

We are now evaluating PW (amongst some other CMS's) for use at my workplace.

So far it's running beautifully using NGINX, but unfortunately if we try to add modules from the directory we get an error. Our organisation sits behind a proxy, so we suspect it's a proxy error related to trying to access an external site.

This is the error when using module class name:

Session: Error retrieving data from web service URL - 2: fsockopen(): unable to connect to modules.processwire.com:80 (Connection refused), 111: Connection refused

This is the error when trying to add the module from a URL:

Session: File could not be downloaded (https://github.com/formmailer/SchedulePages/zipball/master) 2: fsockopen(): unable to connect to ssl://github.com:443 (Connection refused), 111: Connection refused (tried: fopen, socket)

My manager (our web manager) has set the HTTP_PROXY and HTTPS_PROXY environment variables, but that hasn't helped.

Is there some other configuration setting we're missing? Could it be a PHP thing?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Margaret

Hi Margie, and welcome.

This error (and subtle variations of it) is one that keeps appearing, but only for some people on some hosting configurations. As a consequence, it still crops up now and again.

One straightforward workaround is to copy the module files manually via FTP to /site/modules/ then visit yoursite.com/processwire/module/ and finish the install there (or upload a zip from that page). Not as seamless as it might be, but it does work (and was the only way back in the day).

Thanks Dave. I did manage to install some modules by using the zip upload option, so at least that's something! :)

However, as this is being assessed for potential use in an enterprise setting, I'm hoping someone might be able to give us a hand actually fixing the issue? If it is indeed caused by the fact that we are behind a proxy (which is almost certainly the issue), then our concern is that we could encounter other errors in the future.

Anyone?

Cheers,

Margaret