Uploaded to live, only homepage works

Reid Bramblett

OK, I did my due diligence of searching for an answer for a full 24 hours before giving up and posting this plea.

I have just uploaded my first PW site to a live server, but can only get the homepage to work.

Clicking on any link to any other page results in the following error page (with the subpage link after "URL" properly filled in with whatever page it was I was trying to reach, in this case /places/): 

Not Found

The requested URL /places/ was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

I take it from others who have had this issue is that it has to do with a configuration in the htaccess file.

The solution for others seems to have been uncommenting the "RewriteBase /" line, and perhaps including subfolders in that line.

I have tried that. I have tried with just "RewriteBase /" and with all sorts of directories after that forward slash. Nothing seems to work.

Help!

For the record, every file and folder (including the "site" and "wire" folders) of the PW lives within a first-level subfolder on my main web directory (reidsguides.com) called "reidsengland." 

The full address of that folder, within my account with the provider (Pair.com), is:  /usr/www/users/reid/reidsengland/

I have tried putting every variations of all snippets of that address into the RewriteBase line to no avail (plus plain old /reidsengland/ and /www/reidsengland/).

I honestly don't understand how servers work.

Should I rename the htaccess file from htaccess-2.7.2.txt to plain old htaccess.txt?

Could it have to so with the fact that the domain is using a shared IP? In other words, the actual link is "http://www.reidsguides.com/reidsengland," and I just point the server to the appropriate subfolder. This has worked fine with non-database sites, and WP ones, but might it be causing the hiccup?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

2 minutes ago, Reid Bramblett said:

Should I rename the htaccess file from htaccess-2.7.2.txt to plain old htaccess.txt?

I have not seen an htaccess file with a version number on it.

The install procedure should have renamed the htaccess.txt to .htaccess if your permissions were set correctly.

5 minutes ago, Reid Bramblett said:

For the record, every file and folder (including the "site" and "wire" folders) of the PW lives within a first-level subfolder on my web director called "reidsengland"

The full address of that folder, within my account with the provider (Pair.com), is:  /usr/www/users/reid/reidsengland/

Is your document root defined as reidsengland ? Or is the document root reid ?

If the docroot is reid, and you placed the PW files in the reidsengland sub folder, then the rewritebase should be /reidsengland/.

You have probably already seen this, but I'm posting it for others too. Troubleshooting

• Like 5