jQuery help

SamC

I'm still learning vanilla JS at the moment but trying out a bit of jQuery here and there. This has me stumped though:

I don't know how to target only the element that's clicked on. Of course, when clicking now, both overlays pop up because a class 'show' is added to any element with class 'card-reveal' i.e. to both of them. Probably pretty simple for someone with more experience but I'm finding this awkward to search for a solution online.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Thanks @Zeka

Ok, so the reveal shows, but the hide button doesn't seem to toggle the class now. Think I need to dig in at what closest & siblings are doing here.

I updated the pen to show what I'm talking about.

hide button doesn't seem to toggle the class now

Yes, that normal behavior in this case, because ($this) refers to the object (button, anchor) that was clicked. 

There is working example

pen

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zeka said:

Yes, that normal behavior in this case, because ($this) refers to the object (button, anchor) that was clicked. 

There is working example

pen

Ah, I see, thanks for the help :)

28 minutes ago, lecrackffm said:

Here are two resources i found quite useful leaving jQuery behind..

https://plainjs.com/

http://youmightnotneedjquery.com/

Have a nice weekend.

Nice, thanks @lecrackffm

I'm still learning vanilla JS and think these will be great for me. It's been a LONG journey for me to get into it but I think I'm finally making headway, getting deeper into objects, closures etc. moving onto prototype next. I think it's fair to say I'm as good as the amount of effort I've put in. Doing about an hour a day now, really need my JS to be as good as my CSS/HTML to be a much better all rounder. PHP is something I'm not brilliant with either but I can live with that thanks to the PW API :lol:

@SamC

I would consider myself a beginner in JS as well. There is always more to learn.

Here is another resource, which helped me a lot to understand the core concepts of JS.

Disclaimer:

These are only the first 3.5 Hours. The full video is only  available through a paid online Service.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, lecrackffm said:

Disclaimer:

These are only the first 3.5 Hours. The full video is only  available through a paid online Service.

Thanks @lecrackffm I bought this course a while ago on a deal for about £10, only about halfway through but so far it's been excellent :) 

Working through another one at the moment but definitely going back to the weird parts afterwards!

• 2 years later...