Language alternate field's "extra label" is missing

szabesz

Hi, This is the first time I'm setting up "Language alternate fields". I was following the docs, especially Ryan's demo: www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq-9GQCT0lw

In the demo Ryan points out that ProcessWire should add a "little label" displaying the language being used for the language-alternate field (signaling that ProcessWire identified the field as a language-alternate one).

I have setup my field as seen in the video, but the extra label is missing as you can see it in the screenshots:

Language-alternate-fields.gif.338216db67ad34a2650326714fc1d0f0.gif

Any idea what is going on? I would like to see the label to make sure my setup is ok before I proceed.

Hello @szabesz,

have you translated the titles of your two languages in both languages? That is the only reason I could think of.

Nevermind, you have at least the title for the default language. So this one should at least be displayed.

Regards, Andreas

• Like 1

Hi @AndZyk,

You mean the Default/Hungarian label of the language-alternate field called title_hungarian in Setup > Fields? If so, the answer is yes, I did provide both labels but it does not make a difference.

Do you happen to have a/some working site(s) with language-alternate fields where the extra labels show up as seen int he demo video?

BTW, I'm thinking of switching to Multi-language fields but that generates language variations for image descriptions which I do not need, so some simple language-alternate fields would be enough for me.

cheers, Szabesz

I mean the labels of the languages under Setup => Languages. Those will be displayed under the field label.

I have just tested it quick with PW 3.0.63 and AdminThemeUIkit and its working fine. But the version or AdminTheme should not matter.

• Like 1

You have at least to change your PageTitle field into PageTitleLanguage or else you are not able to translate your pages. The PageTitleLanguage is necessary for the title and name translation of your pages.

• Like 1

Sorry, please forget the last post. According to the video this is not necessary. I only used language alternate fields so far in combination with translated pages via PageTitleLanguage.

I would recommend you to do the same, but in your case it maybe something else.

Are you using AdminOnSteroids? I noticed in your screenshot you have the page pathe displayed under the label.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, AndZyk said:

You have at least to change your PageTitle field into PageTitleLanguage or else you are not able to translate your pages. The PageTitleLanguage is necessary for the title and name translation of your pages.

Thank you, you seem to be right! I installed the module and all the others required by it, and the label showed up.

However, maybe it is just me who does not understend the description, but it sounds to be the opposite:

"Field that stores a page title in multiple languages. Use this only if you want title inputs created for ALL languages on ALL pages. Otherwise create separate languaged-named title fields, i.e. title_fr, title_es, title_fi, etc."

page-title-multi-language.gif.17e5e7491e4ba216aa85f8aab9852c44.gif

So that is why I though installing the module Languages Support is enough in the case of language-alternate fields.

I do use AOS, but whenever I have an admin issue, that is the first I turn off temporarily to make sure it is not the culprit.

Edited by szabesz
typo
  • Like 1

Glad you found the solution, but you are right that it is a little bit confusing.

Honestly I have never read the description and always install all languages modules when I am planing to translate a website. :lol:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AndZyk said:

always install all languages modules when I am planing to translate a website

Maybe I was the first one who tried not to do it :D 

BTW, can it be considered to be a bug? What do you – and others reading this – think, should I open a new issue for this at GitHub? Or it just the way it should be: installing all languages modules is required. Full stop :P 

Edited by szabesz
typo

3 hours ago, szabesz said:

BTW, I'm thinking of switching to Multi-language fields but that generates language variations for image descriptions which I do not need, so some simple language-alternate fields would be enough for me.

You can change the default option.

Admin > Setup > Fields > Edit Field: images 
Input (tab)
Disable multi-language descriptions?
By default, descriptions are multi-language when you have Language Support installed. If you want to disable multi-language descriptions, check this box.
Disable multi-language descriptions?

• Like 1