John W.

Upgrading Processwire Core 101 Questions

I just posted a question about moving PW from a resting domain to a production domain, after consideration I figure I would create a new post for a second question I have.

I noticed the coming feature of client size image resizing. This will be really helpful, as I have some clients on a Satellite connection. I'm telling you, them trying to upload 15MB images, or them getting them straight on batch resizers (or Photoshop) to resize before upload is a real chore. Needless to say, Ryan has been doing an excellent job addressing this.

My question, is that I have several clients on PW 2.x thru 3.x. Is there a really good guide on steps that I need to take to update the core to take advantage of the features of new releases? Are their perils to look out for?

Yeah, after developing several sites, I feel a bit silly about asking this one, but, the docs doesn't seem to be clear in a "general" sense of upgrading the core across all versions.

Thanks everyone for your time and assistance.

• Like 1

https://github.com/processwire/processwire#upgrading-processwire

I think this is the most complete guide. Upgrading from 2.x to 3.x  must be carefully done as you can read. Most of the time, I haven't had troubles with the core, most likely a third party module.

I have yet to see ProcessWire break with an update. 

There's also the upgrade module. which also makes a db backup before upgrading and renames the previous files with a dot at the beginning.

• Like 4

I am sure there are idiosyncrasies with certain hosting environments, but I have not run across anything outside what the general upgrade instructions dictate. There is also a profile export module with instructions in this thread that I found very helpful.

• Like 4

I can certainly vouch for client side image resizing working very well - I was looking for this functionality for an intranet site I'm currently working on and Ryan's implementation is very good indeed. It even works with front end editing, with a bit of experimenting as to which method you use and how much output code you enclose.

As far as the upgrade process goes, what the guys have said above pretty much covers it. There aren't any major gotchas other than what has already been mentioned, but you might try backing up one site and running it locally on a dev server just to test the process.

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By BFD Calendar
      I'm still wrestling with the upgrade troubles on OVH.com hosting. I manually upgraded to PW 3.0.98 and Upgrade module 0.0.7. Checking upgrades gives me an "Error loading GitHub branches - https://api.github.com/repos/processwire/processwire/branches - HTTP error(s): 2: fsockopen(): SSL operation failed with code 1. OpenSSL Error messages: error:1407742E:SSL routines:SSL23_GET_SERVER_HELLO:tlsv1 alert protocol version, 2: fsockopen(): Failed to enable crypto, 2: fsockopen(): unable to connect to ssl://api.github.com:443 (Unknown error) - Check that HTTP requests are not blocked by your server.".
      Upgrading or installing other modules doesn't work either. I know it probably has to do with some provider setting on OVH.com, but I've tried several things mentioned in the ProcessWireUpgrade support forum, all to no avail. Server is configured to use PHP 7.0. If anyone here is also on OVH.com and knows a solution I'd be most happy to hear about it.
    • By louisstephens
      So I recently upgraded my sandbox environment to the latest master version from .62(?). I logged in and received the following error:
      "There appear to be multiple copies of module "AdminThemeUikit" on the file system."
      Unfortunately, in my haste, I removed the theme from site->modules so it doesnt exist anymore, and the theme has defaulted somewhat to the old theme. Is there a way to restore UIkit as the theme for processwire natively, or do I need to completely re-install?
    • By prestoav
      Hi all and happy Christmas!
      I have an odd problem upgrading a site from 2.7.2 to 3.0.62. I've never had an issues upgrading PW versions before!
      Here's the error report:
      Fatal error: Exception: Unknown Selector operator: '' -- was your selector value properly escaped? field='1', value='', selector: '1' (in /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/idreamav/wire/core/Selectors.php line 396) #0 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/idreamav/wire/core/Selectors.php(439): ProcessWire\Selectors->create('1', '', '') #1 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/idreamav/wire/core/Selectors.php(159): ProcessWire\Selectors->extractString('1') #2 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/idreamav/wire/core/Selectors.php(145): ProcessWire\Selectors->setSelectorString(Object(ProcessWire\Page)) #3 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/idreamav/wire/core/PagesLoader.php(217): ProcessWire\Selectors->init(Object(ProcessWire\Page)) #4 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/idreamav/wire/core/Pages.php(232): ProcessWire\PagesLoader->find(Object(ProcessWire\Page), Array) #5 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/idreamav/wire/core/Wire.php(386): ProcessWire\Pages->___find(Object(ProcessWire\Page), Array) #6 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/idreamav/wire/core/WireHooks.php(698): ProcessWire\Wire->_callMethod(' in /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/idreamav/index.php on line 64 For my eyes it looks like a selector format somewhere. I've been through all of the site templates and can; see anything wrong and they were all working under 2.7.2.
      Anyone have any ideas?
    • By flydev
      There you can download the module : https://modules.processwire.com/modules/duplicator/

---
      Introduction
      I was not aware of this module/topic and spend some time developing a module to backup, clone and move sites to a local folder or even GoogleDrive and Dropbox.
      The idea begun when I read about this Wordpress's plugin. I was planning to add features like s/FTP, Amazon Cloud, deployment installer and others great features from Wordpress Duplicator and release it for free to the community.
      Now that I see this @rot's module , I am wondering if it would be benefit to the community to have a second solution and so, if I should finish it.. ?
      ---
      Features / Wishlist :
      Save package to local folder :  implemented Save package to Amazon AWS : implemented Save package to Dropbox :  implemented Save package to GoogleDrive :  implemented Save package to FTP/FTPS :  implemented Manual backup with a standalone button :  implemented Backup from scheduled cron job :  implemented Exclude by file extension / filename / directory :  implemented File naming convention (Y-m-d_H-i-s-description.ext)   implemented Protect access to the module screen by role/user   implemented Installer / deployment functionality   implemented ---
      2017-02-07: Starting the CLOSED BETA TESTING.
      2017-11-28: Module release - version 0.0.44 at https://github.com/flydev-fr/Duplicator

screenshots:

• By mike62
      I am new to ProcessWire; I'm a WordPress developer coming into an existing PW site. I noticed that the site I'm working on is version 2.3 and wanted to upgrade it to the latest version so that I could be sure that the documentation was relevant to me.
      I downloaded v2.8.62 Legacy today and followed the upgrade steps. The backend works fine, but the frontend gives me this error message:
      Error: Exception: Method ProcessWire::getArray does not exist or is not callable in this context (in /home/delucaswpg/webapps/delucas_dev/wire/core/Wire.php line 519) #0 /home/delucaswpg/webapps/delucas_dev/wire/core/Wire.php(386): Wire->___callUnknown('getArray', Array) #1 /home/delucaswpg/webapps/delucas_dev/wire/core/WireHooks.php(698): Wire->_callMethod('___callUnknown', Array) #2 /home/delucaswpg/webapps/delucas_dev/wire/core/Wire.php(442): WireHooks->runHooks(Object(ProcessWire), 'callUnknown', Array) #3 /home/delucaswpg/webapps/delucas_dev/wire/core/ProcessWire.php(587): Wire->__call('callUnknown', Array) #4 /home/delucaswpg/webapps/delucas_dev/wire/core/Wire.php(445): ProcessWire->__call('callUnknown', Array) #5 /home/delucaswpg/webapps/delucas_dev/wire/core/Wire.php(445): ProcessWire->callUnknown('getArray', Array) #6 /home/delucaswpg/webapps/delucas_dev/wire/core/ProcessWire.php(590): Wire->__call('getArray', Array) #7 /home/delucaswpg/webapps/delucas_dev/site/modules/Spex/Spex.module(163): ProcessWire->_ This error message was shown because: you are logged in as a Superuser. Error has been logged. The site is hosted on WebFaction and can be found here: http://dev.delucaswpg.webfactional.com. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
      -Mike