Upgrading Processwire Core 101 Questions

John W.

I just posted a question about moving PW from a resting domain to a production domain, after consideration I figure I would create a new post for a second question I have.

I noticed the coming feature of client size image resizing. This will be really helpful, as I have some clients on a Satellite connection. I'm telling you, them trying to upload 15MB images, or them getting them straight on batch resizers (or Photoshop) to resize before upload is a real chore. Needless to say, Ryan has been doing an excellent job addressing this.

My question, is that I have several clients on PW 2.x thru 3.x. Is there a really good guide on steps that I need to take to update the core to take advantage of the features of new releases? Are their perils to look out for?

Yeah, after developing several sites, I feel a bit silly about asking this one, but, the docs doesn't seem to be clear in a "general" sense of upgrading the core across all versions.

Thanks everyone for your time and assistance.

• Like 1

https://github.com/processwire/processwire#upgrading-processwire

I think this is the most complete guide. Upgrading from 2.x to 3.x  must be carefully done as you can read. Most of the time, I haven't had troubles with the core, most likely a third party module.

I have yet to see ProcessWire break with an update. 

There's also the upgrade module. which also makes a db backup before upgrading and renames the previous files with a dot at the beginning.

• Like 4

I am sure there are idiosyncrasies with certain hosting environments, but I have not run across anything outside what the general upgrade instructions dictate. There is also a profile export module with instructions in this thread that I found very helpful.

• Like 4

I can certainly vouch for client side image resizing working very well - I was looking for this functionality for an intranet site I'm currently working on and Ryan's implementation is very good indeed. It even works with front end editing, with a bit of experimenting as to which method you use and how much output code you enclose.

As far as the upgrade process goes, what the guys have said above pretty much covers it. There aren't any major gotchas other than what has already been mentioned, but you might try backing up one site and running it locally on a dev server just to test the process.

• Like 2