Renaming Processwire Site on Temporary Domain account to Permanent Domian account?

John W.

Summary: If I have a site sitting on a server called testing.com, then on the server change it to mycompany.com, do I have to modify any settings in ProcessWire?

After building several processwire for clients, the one question that I haven't had is about moving a processwire site from an old (temporary) domain to a new domain.

For instance, I typically setup development sites for clients and register a temporary domain (and lock with a password). For instance, thee client can go test.com and get all their content finalized, change wording, add news, swap out photos -- everything to make the site production read.  

Next, on my hosting account I can have testing.com renamed to theircompany.com - and change the nameservers.

A simple question here. If I have a hosting company rename the account from testing.com to theircompany.com, change my nameservers whereas going to theircompany.com loads the production site, Is there anything I need to change in the processwire configuration or in the PW database?

In the past, I've just manually copied the site, and fresh-installed PW, and imported the data. Seems like a lot of hassle.

I have a second part question about updating the PW core, however, after consideration I'll post it as a new topic.

You don't need to change anything in the database. The only change needed in this case is the httpHosts array:

$config->httpHosts = array('testing.com'); 

in the config.php file. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, rick said:

which affects the passwords

userAuthSalt: " it is forever tied to the passwords as a secondary salt."

But if you use the very same database and files normally you should only need to update $config->httpHosts as @Sérgio Jardim pointed it out above.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I have a site that I want to change the primary domain at the hosting level. All else remains the same. I read the above posts but I cannot find this in my config.php. It is an old version of PW 2.3.1. Am I safe just to make the domain change anyway?

On 5/31/2017 at 10:46 PM, Sergio said:

$config->httpHosts = array('testing.com'); 

On 11/11/2018 at 12:33 PM, NooseLadder said:

Hi,

I have a site that I want to change the primary domain at the hosting level. All else remains the same. I read the above posts but I cannot find this in my config.php. It is an old version of PW 2.3.1. Am I safe just to make the domain change anyway?

This was on old post. Actually, what I do is fresh install processwire on the server.  When I get ready to upload my project, I dump my local mySQL database, switch to the online site where I drop tables and import the database.  After that, I uncomment about 3 lines of code in my index.php file that changes the processwire admin password in the database. From there, I just login and also change the passwords for any other roles that my be set up.  Ryan pointed me to the info about setting the passwords via the PW api.

In the past I used phpMyAdmin to dump out the database, now I use the dbbackup() module, save the backup file, then switch to processwire on the server and use dbbackup() to import the dump.

Edited by John W.
metion module method of transferring mysql data
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, NooseLadder said:

if I changed the site from http to https. Ie no major changes required?

Normally this is what you should do:

• make sure templates are set to "HTTP or HTTPS" – which is the default – on the URLs tab and certainly not to "HTTP only"
  • in .htaccess, uncomment the rules under "9. If you only want to allow HTTPS, uncomment the RewriteCond and RewriteRule lines below."
  • and yes, a properly installed SSL is a must 😉 
  • recommended: also make sure you do not have any hardwired or third party http URLs

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Similar Content

• By theExo
      Hey folks,
      im pretty new to Processwire. A client of mine asked me to migrate his old (v2.5) Processwire Website. On his server its running on PHP 5.3 and i want to upgrade + migrate the site at the same time. I Downloaded the Site from his server to set it up locally, replaced the /wire directory, index.php and .htaccess with the files of the latest version. After that i changed the DB Connection details in the config.php, swapped to PHP 7.4 and now, when i open up the site on my localhost i get this error:
      compile(\ProcessWire\wire("config")->paths->root . "site/templates/includes/head.inc.php",array('includes'=>true,'namespace'=>true,'modules'=>true,'skipIfNamespace'=>true)))?> compile(\ProcessWire\wire("config")->paths->root . "site/templates/includes/header.inc.php",array('includes'=>true,'namespace'=>true,'modules'=>true,'skipIfNamespace'=>true)))?> compile(\ProcessWire\wire("config")->paths->root . "site/templates/includes/start_content.inc.php",array('includes'=>true,'namespace'=>true,'modules'=>true,'skipIfNamespace'=>true)))?> compile(\ProcessWire\wire("config")->paths->root . "site/templates/includes/footer.inc.php",array('includes'=>true,'namespace'=>true,'modules'=>true,'skipIfNamespace'=>true)))?> The page itself doesnt load, just a white space with this stuff on it
      I checked if the files exist, they do.
      I hope anyone can help me with that 🙂 Thanks in advance!
    • By OrinTerry
      Hello everyone. I am running a small technology blog, which is in WordPress. The main problem with my blog is that it does not open on any Windows 7 computer normally. I know Windows 7 has lost official support from Microsoft but still, there are plenty of users who still use Windows 7. The blog site is already 'HTTPS' protected but after opening in any browser, it shows 'not protected' next to the URL box. So, if I migrate all the site data to 'ProcessWare', will I get the same problem here too? Any kind of feedback would be greatly appreciated.
    • By Marvin
      Hello, excuse me
      I'm new at processwire, i want to ask about a master detail system (Inheritance system) using a processwire. Can we create a Inheritance table using a processwire, and how we create it? Thank you for the help
    • By pideluxe
      From the recent discussion about the roadmap & wishlist for 2021 and some other posts by @ryan, it comes to my mind that developing and coordinating the whole project for one person is becoming harder and harder and leads nearly to the reverse of expanding the ProcessWire ecoysystem. This is not against Ryan, i think everyone here knows how engaged he is about ProcessWire, but he has only 24/7 (sometimes i think he's got far more than that...). 
      We as the community could support the project (financially) to relieve Ryan and could take over some tasks from him. This could be, but is not limited, to:
      Building a Foundation/Association/Company to ensure the persistence of the project and to fund the work put in ProcessWire of Ryan (and others). Nearly every other CMSs i checked has something like this (Drupal Association, Typo3 Association, Joomla Foundation, Wordpress Foundation, Contao Association, ...). This also puts more trust in the project, if someone new will check on his engagement in ProcessWire. Assigning persons/teams to work on things: Extending the core (when necessary) Developing and maintaining major modules (e.g. page builder, admin themes, internationalization, marketing, ecommerce system, ...) Testing and inspection of modules developed by others Making translations of modules (translation of the core is mostly covered, i think) Working on PRs & issues submitted on github Working on the homepage Coordinating the community efforts I know, some resorts are already covered by others (e.g. @Pete for the forum, @horst for images, ... ), but there are many other areas where this ist not the case. By joined efforts by the ProcessWire community this hopefully will also attract new developers to the system and by a growing number of users this assists in the things above in a circular process. What do you think? 
    • By franciccio-ITALIANO
      Hi everyone.
      I've created 12 templates that are the same but each with an extra bit of html code. 
      The piece of code is as follows:
      <div> <div class="box-pf"> <i class="fa fa-map-pin fa-2x fa-red faa-pulse animated"></i> <a href=""> <span class="uk-text-middle"><i>Sonchus oleraceus</i> 'Grespino degli Orti'</span></b> </a> </div> </div> On the third line we read "fa-red."
      I created 12 similar templates.
      The first template has only one box with fa-red, the last template has 12 boxes with icons of 12 different colors.
      So. is there any way to have only 1 template and add, if I want and when I want, a small or big, same or different piece of html code?