Ajax File Upload suitable for video?

thomas

Hello,

since I almost finished my first processwire project I am somewhat tempted to rebuild other sites that need a relaunch anyway. One of which is a video site where selected people can upload videos which are transcoded on the server into different formats (m4v,webm). This site is build in symfony 1.4 and since every little change always takes me ages to commit, I would very much like to rebuild in PW. One of my first questions for this project is if the inputfieldFile Ajax upload would be suitable for large video uploads up to 1GB or if I should rather use SWFUpload like the old site does ...? Does anyone here have any experience with those kind of uploads?

Thanks,

thomas

I think it depends solely on the max filesize limits on the server. Technically the page shouldn't timeout so you won't have that problem in theory with the current file upload field.

Current method has a limit on somewhere of 8mb or so... I think current js solutions don't scale there yet (not entirely sure, but I think so), so doing that big uploads you would need to build SWFUpload inputfield (or some other flash/java based uploader).

Ah, okay - I wasn't aware of that.

A good Java uploader I've used before is JavaPowUpload - it's not free, but it is really good and pretty simple to get going with.

The advantage of a Java app is that you can upload and download entire folders, maintaining their structure. In the case of one site I was working on, the files were stored in numbered folders (somewhat like PW) and folder structure for downloading them was based on nested pages (thing nested pages in PW), so the download function built the folder structure on the fly. It was hard work, abut satisfying when it worked :)

Thanks for the info. I cranked up the memory limit to 2GB and uploaded 300MB videos on my localhost but wasn't sure if that's a route worth going on a production server. I'll probably just use SWFUpload from the old site.