Codeigniter VS Processwire

TheoTop

Hello, all !

I wanted to post this message on dev, but i can't ! 
So, i use tu use codeigniter to develop specific projects and , i really like the philosopy of processwire ! 
So between, the two solutions, i don't know what to do ! My problem is that , my developpmet skills are pretty low, and develop wit h codeingiter is really easy!
I'll develop a specific application with account , events, payments ... Is it, for example easy to use a payment solution ? 
I'm affraid to be locked with processwire dut to  my development skills, even if it doesn't seems too hard to use !

What is your advise , for a meduim skill developper ? 
Thank you

Hi TheoTop, and welcome to ProcessWire. :-)

The methodologies and philosophies of CI and PW are considerably different. When it comes to MVC (or other similar chain), I prefer to use Laravel - but PW can easily handle most things quite well (especially in terms of information storage with relations etc). With that said, I recommend you have a look at the various courses available online to better your skills before you start choosing between frameworks and systems. TutsPlus, Coursera, Khan Academy, just to name a few. When you've done that, grasping Laravel/CI/PW/etc will be much easier, and you would be able to easily draw your own conclusions and choose the right framework for whatever task you have on hand.

For payments, I think these are the go-to PW modules https://github.com/apeisa/PaymentStripe/ and https://github.com/apeisa/PaymentPaypal/. If you're looking to de e-commerce, try out https://www.padloper.pw/ (I haven't used it myself, but it looks perfect for the task - others can comment in on that).

Best,
Mike

• Like 2

Those cannot really be compared well on the surface. ProcessWire is first and foremost a cms, codeigniter is a framework. If you want to use ProcessWire just as a framework you certainly can, but be prepared that it won't be the full batteries included experience. You'll need to add things on your own, when they're not part of the core pw framework. Also PW might be quite opinionated in places, where it's optimized for it's usecase (e.g. routing), which might not be the most intuitive coming from the framework world. 

• Like 1

Hello guys, thank you for your help ! 
I'm intereted in laravel, but i don"t' feel comfortable with it due to my medium development level. I know that it is one of the most popular framework ! Maybe i had to going further with this tool .

Maybe i should choose the tool i am the more comfortable with CI ! Even if i think processwire is a very interesting tool ! 

Thank you very much !

Just a note about CI: I believe that the next version (4?) will be quite different to the current version, but will be familiar enough for those familiar with CI. Laravel is quite easy to learn, but I would suggest taking a course on PHP so you use a framework well.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hello, members!

To be honest with I can't envisage many scenarios where I wouldn't use PW. And while I’m on the topic, I need to consider another terrific system people here should look at ProcessWire. It’s a “CMF,” which suggests it has the flexibility of a framework, with some of the core elements built in.

Thanx

• Like 2