louisstephens

Use AJAX to get field content

I have been wanting to set up a quick "dashboard" for a recent project, and was considering using ajax to get a "real time" update/refresh on the page (some of my output depends on the datetime field). I know how to get the desired output using php with some if statements comparing todays date to the date stored in the field, however, I am a bit at a lose of how to interact with the ProcessWire API using ajax to get the desired effect. I found the following 

and know that I need to start off with: 

<?php
if($config->ajax) {
    // page was requested from ajax
}

Unfortunately, as I mentioned earlier, how would one actual find pages using a template and get the field contents from them using AJAX? I apologize if this seems bit broad, but I am stil getting a grasp of using AJAX to deliver content to get a real time update on a page without refresh.

AJAX or normal request doesn't really matter to backend. You just detect if request is an AJAX request and act accordingly.

Because I had some things to do, I decided to procrastinate by building a simple module and write a tutorial for it.

• Like 4

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By ICF Church
      Hi 👋
      Anyone else having this problem?
      Requirements:
      - Repeater (matrix & normal) with mutlilanguage fields (text, textarea…) 
      - Backend language set to something other than default (ie. German) 
      Reproduce:
      - Add a new repeater Item (ajax, I found no way to possible to disable it with matrix)

(Notice how the default language tab is active instead of the backend language…)
      - Write something into the (default language) field
      - Try to save, if field is required, this will not work. If not required, then when reloading, the content will be inside the backend language field, instead of the default language field who was (presumably) active
      Analysis:
      When  loading  a new repeater element with ajax, the default langue tab is active, but the backend language inputfield is visible (with no visual indication). When writing into the field, it will populate the backend language. When manually clicking on the default language tab (which is already active), the field will switch to the actual default language field (which is [now] empty) (that can now be populated…)
      Also Notice, the labels of the elements to be added are in default language as well instead of the translated label (images instead of Bilder)…
      ProcessWire 3.0.148, Profields 0.0.5…
      Is it my system configuration, or does anyone else have the same issue? This is a screen recording of the problem:
      Issue: https://github.com/processwire/processwire-issues/issues/1179

Screen Recording 2020-02-25 at 14.18.31.mov
    • By d'Hinnisdaël
      Happy new year, everybody 🥬
      I've been sitting on this Dashboard module I made for a client and finally came around to cleaning it up and releasing it to the wider public. This is how it looks.
      ProcessWire Dashboard

If anyone is interested in trying this out, please go ahead! I'd love to get some feedback on it. If this proves useful and survives some real-world testing, I'll add this to the module directory.
      Download
      You can find the latest release on Github.
      Documentation
      Check out the documentation to get started. This is where you'll find information about included panel types and configuration options.
      Custom Panels
      My goal was to make it really simple to create custom panels. The easiest way to do that is to use the panel type template and have it render a file in your templates folder. This might be enough for 80% of all use cases. For anything more complex (FormBuilder submissions? Comments? Live chat?), you can add new panel types by creating modules that extend the DashboardPanel base class. Check out the documentation on custom panels or take a look at the HelloWorld panel to get started. I'm happy to merge any user-created modules into the main repo if they might be useful to more than a few people.
       Disclaimer
      This is a pre-release version. Please treat it as such — don't install it on production sites. Just making sure 🍇
      Roadmap
      These are the things I'm looking to implement myself at some point. The wishlist is a lot longer, but those are the 80/20 items that I probably won't regret spending time on.
      Improve documentation & add examples ⚙️ Panel types Google Analytics ⚙️ Add new page  🔥 Drafts 🔥 At a glance / Page counter 404s  Layout options Render multiple tabs per panel panel groups with heading and spacing between ✅ panel wrappers as grid item (e.g. stacked notices) ✅ Admin themes support AdminThemeReno and AdminThemeDefault ✅ Shortcuts panel add a table layout with icon, title & summary ✅ Chart panel add default styles for common chart types ✅ load chart data from JS file (currently passed as PHP array) Collection panel support image columns ✅ add buttons: view all & add new ✅
    • By michelangelo
      Hello there,
      I am building my website, which has a dozen projects with 10 images each. Basically, I need a filtering system but built in the most efficient and user-friendly way. You can see below that the images flow sideways so being hidden, JS lazy loading was a good tool, but I just wanted to try AJAX. Is it fit for this purpose or it's more for dynamic content?

• By louisstephens
      So I have been hard at work creating url segments for a template (api) and everything is working swimmingly in creating a simple end point for svelte.js. I have however, run into a few questions that I can wrap my head around.
      In my api template I have:
      if($input->urlSegment1 === 'clients') { header('Content-Type: application/json'); $clients = $pages->find("template=clients"); $client_array = array(); foreach ($clients as $client) { $id = $client->id; $title = $client->title; $url = $client->url; $clientName = $client->client_name; $clientColor = $client->client_color->value; $assigned = $client->assigned_to->user_full_name; $client_array[] = array( 'id' => $id, 'code' => $title, 'name' => $clientName, 'associated_users' => $assigned, 'url' => $url ); } $client_json = json_encode($client_array, true); echo $client_json; } The output json from this is:
      [ { "id":1644, "code":"abc", "name":"Test Name", "associated_users":null, "url":"\/pw\/clients\/abc\/" }, { "id": 1645, "code": "xyz", "name": "Test Name", "associated_users": null, "url": "\/pw\/clients\/xyz\/" }, ] I was curious is it possible to add in "clients" before this output json so it would appear as 
      clients: [ { "id":1644, "code":"abc", "name":"Test Name", "associated_users":null, "url":"\/pw\/clients\/abc\/" }, { "id": 1645, "code": "xyz", "name": "Test Name", "associated_users": null, "url": "\/pw\/clients\/xyz\/" }, ] I was not really sure of how to tackle this in my php code, and have spent more time than I care to admit trying to figure it out. Another question I have is that "associated_users" is returning null, which in this instance is correct. It is a multi page field that is set to pull a custom name field from the users template, ie "Louis Stephens" would be associated with the first page. I understand that I need to use a foreach to get the correct data, but I was really unsure of how to place this inside an array, or update the array with the new data. Any help with any of this would greatly be appreciated.
    • By louisstephens
      I have been messing around with creating pages from ajax requests, and it has gone swimmingly thus far. However, I am really struggling with creating a page and saving an image via ajax. 
      The form:
      <form action="./" role="form" method="post" enctype="multipart/form-data"> <div> <input type="text" id="preview" name="preview" placeholder="Image Title"> </div> <div> <input type="file" id="preview-name" name="preview-name"> </div> <div> <select id="select-tags" name="select-tags"> <?php $tags = $pages->find("template=tag"); ?> <option value="">Select Your Tags</option> <?php foreach ($tags as $tag) : ?> <option value="<?= $tag->name; ?>"><?= $tag->name; ?></option> <?php endforeach; ?> </select> </div> <div> <button type="button" id="submit-preview" name="submit" class="">Upload Images</button> </div> </form>  
      The ajax in my home template:
      $('#submit-preview').click(function(e) { e.preventDefault(); title = $("#preview").val(); image = $("input[name=preview-name]"); console.log(title); console.log(image); data = { title: title, image: image //not sure if this is actually needed }; $.ajax({ type: 'POST', data: data, url: '/development/upload-preview/', success: function(data) { console.log("Woo"); }, error: function(xhr, ajaxOptions, thrownError) { alert(xhr.responseText); } }); }); And finally in my ajax template:
      $imagePath = $config->paths->assets . "files/pdfs/"; //was from an older iteration $title = $sanitizer->text($_POST['title']); $image = $sanitizer->text($_POST['image']); $p = new Page(); $p->template = "preview"; $p->parent = $pages->get("/previews/"); $p->name = $title; $p->title = $title; $p->save(); $p->setOutputFormatting(false); $u = new WireUpload('preview_image'); $u->setMaxFiles(1); $u->setOverwrite(false); $u->setDestinationPath($p->preview_image->path()); $u->setValidExtensions(array('jpg', 'jpeg', 'gif', 'png', 'pdf')); foreach($u->execute() as $filename) { $p->preview_image->add($filename); } $p->save(); I can complete the file upload but just using a simple post to the same page and it it works well, but I was really trying to work out the ajax on this so I could utilize some modals for success on creation (and to keep my templates a little cleaner). When I do run the code I have, a new/blank folder is created under assets, and a new page is created with the correct title entered. However, no image is being processed. I do get a 200 status in my console. I have searched google for help, but everything seems to be slightly off from my needs. If anyone could help point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.