adding fields to the page search module

peterb

What are the field types you are trying to add to the search? The text search in the admin can only search fields that are indexed for fulltext searches. This includes text, textarea, cache and I believe a couple others. But of course all data in ProcessWire is searchable, but that search box in the admin is designed purely for partial-match text searches. It would be fairly simple to modify or extend the admin page search process if you are interested, I can guide you through it.

thanks,

I know see that it is a "file" field that it is objecting to. I see all the text fields work. How do I index a "file" fieldtype for search?  I also would like to specify a custom field for the page list sort settings -> sort field. Is that extendable?

by the way, I am blown away how nicely pw is running with 5,000 pages.. I am in awe...

I know see that it is a "file" field that it is objecting to. I see all the text fields work. How do I index a "file" fieldtype for search?

I was going to say to type "title body filefield.description" into the search fields in Modules > Process > Page Search. But went and tried it myself and see we're using a multi selection field rather than a text input. :) So I went ahead and changed it to a text input so that you can use subfields (like filefield.description) for searches. If you grab the latest commit, you should be able to configure the Page Search module to use filefield.description for admin searches.

https://github.com/ryancramerdesign/ProcessWire/commit/1cc0c0549d1f55fb380211037dc267be10b0b71a

For your own searches, you can already do this just by including filefield.description in your selector. For example, this would look for a match in either title, body or filefield.description:

$matches = $pages->find("title|body|filefield.description*=something"); 

If you start getting a whole lot of fields in your selector, you might get better performance out of bundling all the fields you want to search into a FieldtypeCache, and then searching the single cache field rather than the other individual fields.

I also would like to specify a custom field for the page list sort settings -> sort field. Is that extendable?

You can already do this. ProcessWire will let you select a field for automatic sorting as long as it has the "autojoin" option set in the field's configuration. So if the field you want to sort by isn't showing up in Children > Sort Field, then chances are that it's not set for "autojoin" in the field config. Go ahead and check that autojoin box and let me know if that solves it?

Thanks!

Ryan