ProcessGoogleAnalytics

Wanze

Hi!
Just finished my first module :)
This module adds a new "Google-Analytics" Page in your Admin-Panel and displays various Statistics from a Google Analytics Account.
It uses the JQuery plugin "jqplot" to display the charts.

post-582-0-13454000-1344773004_thumb.pngpost-582-0-53154400-1344773005_thumb.pngpost-582-0-49753600-1344773006_thumb.png

Github: https://github.com/w...GoogleAnalytics
Modules directory: http://modules.proce...ogle-analytics/

Features

• Visits by Date (Chart)
  • General Statistics about Visits (Total visits, Visit duration, New visitors, Returning visitors etc.)
  • Demographics: Countries, Cities, Languages
  • System: Browsers, Operating Systems, Screen Resolutions
  • Mobile: Operating Systems, Screen Resolutions
  • Pageviews by Date (Chart)
  • Top Content
  • Traffic Sources: Keywords, Referral Traffic by Domain and URI
  • Choose a default date range displaying statistics: last 24 hours, 2 days, 1 week, 1 month etc.
  • Custom date range by setting a "start date" and "end date"

Requirements

• Google Account and Analytics Account :P
  • A Project in the Google APIs Console
  • cURL

Installation

1) Create a Project in the Google APIs Console:

• Create a new Project in the APIs Console: code.google.com/apis/console/
  • Under Services, enable the Analytics API
  • Under API Access: create an Oauth 2.0 Client-ID
  • Give a Product Name, choose "Web-Application", Domain doesn't matter
  • Enter a Redirect URI to the GA-Page in your Processwire Installation:
    http://yourdomain.com/processwire/google-analytics/

Notes:

• The redirect URI must exactly match with the URL from the new "Google Analytics" page in Processwire. Open the Page and copy the URL from the address-bar (localhost does work too!)
  • The project created in the APIs Console can be reused for every Processwire installation using this module. You just have to enter more redirect URIs

2) Install the module:

• Place the module's files in /site/modules/ProcessGoogleAnalytics
  • Install the Module via the Admin-Panel
  • Enter Client-ID and Client-Secret keys from the created project in the module config
  • Load the newly created page "Google-Analytics" and click on the button "authenticate"
  • Grant the module access to the Analytics Data
  • Choose a Google Analytics account (Domain) from the dropdown
  • Done: You should see the statistics. Check out the module config options for further customization

In order to let other users see the Google Analytics page, you must give their role access to the "ga-view" permission.

Ps. Processwire is awesome and so is this community! :)

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Awesome! I also wanted to do something similar but didn't really get into it. Looks very nice! Thanks for posting.

Would you mind to put it on modules.processwire.com and create a repository on github?

Thank you guys!

In the meanwhile, the Project is on Github and the modules overview:

http://modules.processwire.com/modules/process-google-analytics/

https://github.com/wanze/ProcessGoogleAnalytics

I never used Github before and had to create an account first, thanks Soma for your Tutorial!

Still I'll have to explore git a bit more ;-)

Please let me know what you think and if it works for you!

One feature that is on the Roadmap:

Compare the statistics taken from the last month (Audience) with the previous month and show +/- percentage

• Like 3

Wanze, welcome to the forums!

Great start! I tried your module on my localhost and it seems to work, though I don't have any statistics here.

When I load the Google Analytics page for the first time I get several notices:

Notice: Undefined index: ga:returningVisits in D:\webdev\xampp\htdocs\P21\site\modules\ProcessGoogleAnalytics\ProcessGoogleAnalytics.module on line 227
Notice: Undefined index: rows in D:\webdev\xampp\htdocs\P21\site\modules\ProcessGoogleAnalytics\ProcessGoogleAnalytics.module on line 298
Notice: Undefined index: rows in D:\webdev\xampp\htdocs\P21\site\modules\ProcessGoogleAnalytics\ProcessGoogleAnalytics.module on line 299

But they dissapear after I refresh the page, so I guess it has something to do with caching.

Also after installation I get this notice untill I've filled all fields and saved:

Notice: Undefined index: accountId in D:\webdev\xampp\htdocs\P21\site\modules\ProcessGoogleAnalytics\ProcessGoogleAnalytics.module on line 877

And also for some reason it breaks page encoding (cyrillic symbols don't display properly).

Wanted to mention you can specify what modules are required by your module and what modules it installs in the array returned by getModuleInfo():

return array(
'title' => '',
'version' => 001,
'summary' => '',
'requires' => 'MarkupCache',
'installs' => 'MarkupCache', //not sure about this one
);

Not sure though whether it should require or instead maybe install MarkupCache, I guess it shoud just require it. See more here.

Thank you for your module! I've never dealt with GA before, and I guess now's the time :)

• Like 1

Just installed this one and it works like a charm! Really nice and very polished work. Very nice that it is already multilang friendly!

Few ideas for further development:

• There are quite a lot stuff on screen. It might be nicer UI if you would use tabs instead of folding for main categories (audience, content, traffic sources)
  • Showing current month is what I usually want, but it would be nice to have ability to choose date range
  • Link to Google Analytics when you want to dive deeper into the analytics
  • Consider using strftime instead of date - that would allow local month names etc for other languages than English. Not necessary though, since one could always define numeric only dates (like 9.8.2012) http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.strftime.ph
  • Like 3

Awesome module and really nicely produced! Thanks for making this.

I ran into a couple really minor things, but figured I'd mention them before I forget. :)

1. Saw a couple PHP notices at the top of the screen, but can't remember exactly at what part. However, I'm guessing anyone with debug mode on will see the same.

2. Getting an overflow on the search keywords screen:

post-2-0-05364600-1344521418_thumb.png

Great job with the module and the code.

• Like 1

Thank you all for testing and the feedback!

I'll fix the PHP warnings with the notices, maybe this will also sort out the

problem with cyrillic symbols.

2. Getting an overflow on the search keywords screen:

post-2-0-05364600-1344521418_thumb.png

Ryan, I guess this is caused by a long keyword without spaces?

Just installed this one and it works like a charm! Really nice and very polished work. Very nice that it is already multilang friendly!

Few ideas for further development:

• There are quite a lot stuff on screen. It might be nicer UI if you would use tabs instead of folding for main categories (audience, content, traffic sources)
  • Showing current month is what I usually want, but it would be nice to have ability to choose date range
  • Link to Google Analytics when you want to dive deeper into the analytics
  • Consider using strftime instead of date - that would allow local month names etc for other languages than English. Not necessary though, since one could always define numeric only dates (like 9.8.2012) http://www.php.net/m...ion.strftime.ph

Great ideas!

Trying to implement all of this in the next versions.

I originally also wanted to use Tabs for the main sections, but I think

the charts have some problems rendering correctly if they're in a hidden div,

so I went with this simpler solution. But you're right, there is definitely too much on the screen right now!

Now it's time to find some examples using WireTabs :)

Just updated the Module to version 1.1 on Github and Modules Section of Pw!

New Features / Optimizations

• Better UI with tabs for the main categories (Audience, Content, Traffic sources)
  • New options section: You can change the date range for your Statistics
  • "strftime" used instead of "date" for the date range in header
  • Fixed PHP notice errors

There changed some module default config options + I added an option to set the format for the InputfieldDatetime fields. So I guess you should uninstall and install the whole module again to avoid errors.

Sometimes I'm not sure if use the right words for my lables and descriptions, as I'm not a native english speaker/writer.

So if anybody sees typo errors or a description that makes no sense, please tell me.

It's also just fine to use jQuery UI tabs if you prefer. WireTabs are mainly useful for tabbing PW's Inputfields, which jQuery UI tabs don't let themselves as well to.

I ended up using WireTabs, amazing simple to implement as everything with Processwire! =)

Wish you all a nice day (night or whatever), I'm going swimming now here :P :

http://www.bbc.co.uk...europe-10893835

• Like 3

Great update! I love the way it works with the tabs now. Not seeing the overflow issue anymore either. This covers about 90% of the things I use GA for. This module will get a lot of use for sure. :)

Thank you Ryan, glad you like it!

Do you think I could implement the missing 10% somehow? :)

What do you think about resetting the custom dates?

Currently you have to check a checkbox to reset, afterwards the Module is using again the last month from today as date range (default behaviour).

Should this reset be done automatically after some time?

Nice module, but i got lots of errors, please look at the attachment.

Hmm for some reason the module could not fetch the statistics. I need to implement a check if the results are returned correctly as an array and display an error message otherwise.

Sevraf2, were you able to choose the GA Account from the dropdown before?

Have you customized the date range or any date format settings?

Can you do some checks in the module config options:

• Client ID, Client Secret, API Key correct?
  • Google Analytics Account Id should now have a value like "ga:xxxxxxxx"

@Soma

I have debug mode enabled, but the statistics always came up fine ;-)

Will implement the check soon!

• Like 1

mmm after returning to the module page the notices and warnings disappeared...btw i customized the data format into d-m-Y

That's because the results were getting cached. But you still don't see any Statistics, right?

I think there has to be an error in your setup somewhere. Tested also the date "d-m-Y", works fine here on my local installation.

Will check if Google reports back some error codes in case something went wrong with the query params...

Edit:

If you want to do some more testing, you should disable caching the output:

1) Delete the folders starting with "ga_" in site/assets/cache/MarkupCache

2) In the Module Options, set Cache Time to "0"

Do you think I could implement the missing 10% somehow? :)

The scope of Google Analytics is so broad, I don't think I'd ever expect something outside the GA app itself to implement it. Take the Real Time features for instance. You've done a great job of implementing the most important and most useful stuff. If I had to wish for anything it would only be that I could get more detail on the referrers. Like when I see a new referrer show up, I'd love to click to see the URL where the referring link actually exists. Sometimes I can't even do this in GA since it strips URL variables... leaving me to grep my access log to find the actual referring URL. But if there's some way to see not just the domain, but the path too, that would provide the same level of detail present in GA.

What do you think about resetting the custom dates? Currently you have to check a checkbox to reset, afterwards the Module is using again the last month from today as date range (default behaviour). Should this reset be done automatically after some time?

I'm not sure what the best behavior would be here, as I'm guessing everyone has their own workflow and timeline they want to look at in GA. But I do know that the first thing I do when I get into GA is to set a date range. It's rare that I want to look at the last month or year. Usually I want the last 24 hours, last 2 days, last week, etc. I've often wished that GA had a select box where I could choose "last 24 hours" for instance, rather than having to select starting and ending dates.