Get two letter code for default language

bmacnaughton

This is probably really simple but I am unable to get the two letter code for the default language.

$languages->default gives me a numeric code (the page ID for that language).

$user->language give me the numeric code again

$user->languages->name gives me "default" if it is the default language, else the two-letter code for the language.

But I don't see the two letter code for the language in $config (I might be missing it) nor anywhere else.

I've hardcoded around this now, so the question is largely academic, but I'd prefer not to hardcode it.

Being able to get the two character code, and not 'default' for the default language would be equally helpful. 

The good thing: In PW you have full flexibility handling languages. You can create any name or title. As @Zeka mentioned you can also add any custom fields (2 letter iso codes, numeric iso codes, language descriptions, flag-icons, landscape images, currency etc.)

The bad thing: You have to do some things by yourself.

Keep in mind that the naming of your homepage is also related to language settings. For better handling I recommend consistence (equality) between this and the language name (or any custom language field like 2 letter language code)