TinyMCE vs IE9

yellowled

I am aware that this is (probably) not an issue related to PW, it's more likely a general issue in TinyMCE (and seems to be well-known among its developers already). I thought I'd mention it anyway:

It is not possible to add images using TinyMCE's "Add image" button at a specific place in an editor's content in IE9. It always gets added at the beginning of the content in the editor, i.e. before the first text paragraph.

I haven't tested it, but it probably doesn't work in IE8, either. Yes, I know there are different approaches of handling inserting images into the content which are preferable.

Ouch I thought we were in the clear with IE9. But it's not a browser I use every day (running in OS X). Can anyone else confirm the issue? I'm not at a place where I have any access to IE. But the issue does sound like one that should be fixable on our end rather than TinyMCE's (since the add image implementation is part of our own TinyMCE plugin).

Funny story: I already tested this twice today. I stumbled across the issue during a CMS training with a client. I had to use their machine since they couldn't add my laptop to their LAN. Confirmed it on my own Windows 7 machine at home to rule out issues with their setup. If they had been able to give me network access, I probably wouldn't have noticed since my laptop is an Ubuntu machine, and I almost never use my IE VM, either – except to test frontend CSS stuff.

While we're at it: uploading images to an image field does work in IE9, but it doesn't work "on the fly" showing the upload progress bar. You have to select an image (or file, I assume; didn't test it) and save the page to upload it. I wouldn't consider this a critical issue, though; the functionality is there, it's just not as comfortable as in a "real" browser.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but IE9 doesn't support the HTML5 FileAPI, which IE10 does? To drag files into the browser and have them upload using HTML5 methods, the browser has to upport FileAPI. The only modern browsers that I know of that don't currently support that are IE9 and Safari.

it is possible to drag after instert to correct position.

That's interesting, it didn't even occur to me that this was maybe an option. I don't have access to my Windows machine right now, but I'll check it out later.

I'll take a look and fix this when I get back to my office next week. I think I've already fixed this issue once already (with IE8) so it might be as simple as canceling a behavior if the IE version is 9 or above.

• 1 year later...

This one is tough for me to debug just because my access to IE is limited (I have no Windows PCs in my office). I also have a deep-seated IE-aversion, so usually need to be pestered a bit to use it. :)  I'll ask my wife to bring her computer from her office, which does have IE (though IE10 I think). 

• Like 2