---

Replace page render method and use original method

I've written a hook which replaces the page::render method. Based on a few conditions, I might want to output something different from what page::render would return.

So when my conditions aren't met, I want to use the return value of the original page::render method.

How can I do this?

At the moment I've got something like this:

function pageRenderHookMethod (HookEvent $event)
{
    if ('my condition' == true) {
        $event->replace = true;
        $event->return = 'my custom return value';
    } else {
        $event->return = 'original return value of page::render';
    }
}

But I don't know how to get the original return value of page::render because the would trigger my hooked method instead of the original method.

{
    $default = $event->return;
	if ('my condition' == true) {
    } else {
        $event->return = $default;
    }
}

If you hook after you don't need $event->replace = true;

• Like 1

You don't even need to set the return value to it's previous value. Just don't modify it if you don't need to:

{
    if ('my condition' != true) return;
}

But most often it's the better solution to use a before hook and prevent the original render function from running uselessly if it's return value might be replaced anyways:

function pageBeforeRenderHookMethod (HookEvent $event)
{
    if ('my condition' != true) return; // Let the original $page->render() do it's job
    $event->replace = true; // Skip the original $page->render()
    $event->return = 'custom value';
}

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By jploch
      Hi folks,
      i try to use a hook to change some markup inside admin, this hook works fine inside a ready.php file, but its not working inside my module:
      <?php namespace ProcessWire; class InputfieldPageTableExtendedGrid extends InputfieldPageTable { public static function getModuleInfo() { return array( 'title' => __('Inputfield for PageTableExtendedGrid', __FILE__), // Module Title 'summary' => __('Adds Inputfield for PageTableExtendedGrid', __FILE__), // Module Summary 'version' => 233, 'requires' => array('FieldtypePageTableExtendedGrid'), 'permanent' => false, ); } public function ready() { $this->addHookAfter('Page::render', function($event) { $value = $event->return; // Return Content $style = "<style type='text/css'>". $this->pages->get((int) wire('input')->get('id'))->style ."</style>"; // Add Style inside bottom head $event->return = str_replace("</head>", "\n\t$style</head>", $value); // Return All Changes }); } } whats wrong here?
    • By Sten
      Hello
      Till now I hacked something with the twig template but it works no more with new PW versions so I look forward to create a module. I am working on a site in multiple languages : French, English, Italian, German, Spanish, Portuguese, Hebrew, Russian. The new posts are entered in any language with a field for language. Till now, I got twig files to get the translations with constants defined for each part of the pages.
      So I'd like to create a module to include theses files added according to the url /fr/en/...
      Have you some observations to do before I begin about the direction to take ?
      Thank you
    • By EyeDentify
      Hello dear PW gurus.

I have stumbled over a strange error that i all of sudden got when trying to upload an image to a images field on a page.
      There where images allready stored in the field that i wanted to keep, but during the upload the error apear and after that all images are gone from the field and i can´t upload any, i just get the error every time.
      I am running ProcessWire 3.0.153 dev.
      Update:
      After looking in the assets folder i find the folder for the page and the image files seems to be there including the ones i tried to upload when the error occured.
      But they don´t show up in the images field in the page editor.

The error reported:

SQLSTATE[01000]: Warning: 1265 Data truncated for column 'ratio' at row 1 And here is a screenshot of the event:

The TracyDebugger Error reporting:

I hope you fine folks could point me in a direction.
      But it seems our old pal set_time_limit() is back.

Regards, EyeDentify
    • By Spyros
      Hello
      I'm having a strange issue with the $page->find(), for some reason I'm missing some of the pages from the results. I found then that I was missing all the pages with the same "PAGE NAME". Is it a bug or am I missing something?
      PS 
      If I change the "PAGE NAME" of one of the missing ones then I'm retrieving the page without any problem.
      Thank you