Installation problem

Gazley

Hi,

I managed the installation and fired up the starter web site. All seemed well but when I click on any of the page links in the basic application, I just get messages like (different for each page):

Not Found

The requested URL /ProcessWire/about/ was not found on this server. Apache/2.2.22 (Ubuntu) Server at egerton Port 80

I'm running Ubutu server 12.04 in a VirtualBox on an iMac. I pulled PW last night using git clone. I have deleted install.php and the install directory.

Any ideas what might be wrong?

Thanks

--Gary

Not Found

The requested URL /ProcessWire/about/ was not found on this server.

You probably have to set the RewriteBase in the .htaccess in your ProcessWire directory, i.e.

RewriteBase /ProcessWire/

The are some examples for RewriteBase in the .htaccess, you can just uncomment and edit one of those.

Man, I'm, struggling with this. I have my original ExpressionEngine installation that works like a charm but I cannot seem to get ProcessWire working at all? Right now, I have the following physical path on my virtual server:

/var/www/ProcessWire

I have a processwire virtual host config in /etc/apache2/sites-available and a symlink point back to it in sites-enabled.

If anyone has a VirtualHost and .htaccess file sample that should work in this configuration, please let me know :(

I tried the "dfsfdssfsfsdfsfdsdsfs" in .htaccess and after changing Allow to All in the VirtualHost file, I finally saw an error generated because of .htaccess. So, I removed the garbage string and set RewriteBase but now, I just get an internal server error.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Glad you were able to solve this. Sorry I'm coming to the conversation late. You would have to do the same things to support Apache's RewriteEngine in any CMS. Most CMSs use this for URLs, so it's rare to find a web host that doesn't have it enabled by default. But if you are setting up your own *AMP that's not pre-configured for web hosting, then you do have to go through the steps you just did to solve it. Many legacy CMSs (like EE for example) came from a time before Apache's Rewrite Engine was used much, and thus had dynamic variable URLs and /index.php/path/to/page style URLs. These are a little simpler if you are starting from scratch on your own server, but you'd never want to launch an actual site using this style of URLs. As a result, support for that has been left out of ProcessWire, and it requires Rewrite Engine.

• 1 month later...

I had the same problem on my local server while using MAMP on a Mac. I was able to solve it by adding the following to my VirtualHost declaration in httpd-vhosts.conf:

<VirtualHost *:80>

DocumentRoot "/Users/username/Test Site"

ServerName testsite.loc

<Directory "/Users/username/Test Site">

AllowOverride All

</Directory>

</VirtualHost>

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I also thought I would add my 2 pence/cents worth to this thread.

If you are using a debian based system like ubuntu or mint then you might also look in the default setup in sites-enabled as it may be overriding the file you created for your site that carries the vhost info above. Changed it to the same setup.

I was at the tearing hair out stage when I came across that elsewhere.

• Like 1