Convert existing page to multilanguage

Noel Boss

Hi, I'm new to PW. I could not find anything about this in the form or the documentation.

I installed PW 3.0.54 with the new regular profile using markup regions. Now there are already some pages and blog entries there. Can I install multilanguage on an existing page that had no translation previously? Would seem that this should be possible. But it seems like all pages act as languages now:

58e3890f80e52_ScreenShot2017-04-04at13_49_37.thumb.png.e766611b8c4eda7e8b62bf89530939eb.png

I compared my installation with a site-multilanguage installation and found there is a template called "language" – this was missing in my site-regular profile so I exported and importet that template. Now I git the following error upon import

language.fieldgroupFields: Unable to find field: language_files

and after completing import I get a breaking error:

Error: Uncaught Error: Call to a member function setIsDefaultLanguage() on boolean in /home/ubuntu/workspace/pw3/wire/modules/LanguageSupport/LanguageSupport.module:170

You can see it here:

https://dev-pw-icfchurch.c9users.io/admin/

user > thanks4help

I'm now kind of lost on how to do it propperly… Basically: Does anyone know how to add languages to an existing single-language website? Thanks for your help :)

Hi @noelboss, welcome to the forums!

You should have installed the necessary fields and module instead, and their install process will take care of everything. 

As the documentation says:

Multi-language support is installed with core modules available in the admin: Modules > Language > Language Support (in ProcessWire 2.2 or newer). If you just want to install alternate language packs, then all you need is the base Language Support module. If you want to support multi-language fields in your own site, then you should also install the Language Support Fields module. As of ProcessWire 2.3.2 and newer, we also recommend installing Language Support Page Names

• Like 2

Yes, but this did not happen…

1. Installed PW
  2. Installed site-regular
  3. Installed Modules:
    1. Languages Support   
    2. Languages Support - Fields 
    3. Languages Support - Page Names
    4. Languages Support - Tabs

I noticed it did not add the language template etc. With the auto-export module and the other site profile i was able to add the needed templates and fields etc. It now runs, but i am not sure if it would work out of the box as described above.