Absolute newbies asking about file permissions

totoff

hello forum,

i'm an absolute newbie to pw who has worked (and still works) with textpattern and contao. i have a firm grasp of html, css and some of jquery but very little of php (not to say nothing at all 8) ).

i came across processwire and it looks very, very promising to me. i installed locally on xammp. however, immediately i'm having my first questions. pleas apologize, if this are silly questions from a pro's point of view:

- on finishing the installation i got the following message:

Now that the installer is complete, it is highly recommended that you make ./site/config.php non-writable!

but how do i do that? does that refer to the permissions my ftp user has? and what would be the right permission (0000)?

- within /site/config.php i found the following comment:

/**

* chmodDir: octal string permissions assigned to directories created by ProcessWire

*/

$config->chmodDir = "0777";

does that mean, all directories processwire will creates will have assigned 0777 permissions? this doesn't matter to me on localhost, but live, in a shared hosting environment, this seems to be a high risk. if so, is that really necessary or can it be overcome somehow?

thanks for answering and for your time!

totoff

Hi totoff

Is this XAMPP for Windows? If so then you can open that folder, right-click on the file, click on "Properties" and change the permissions to read only in the dialogue box that pops up, then click save.

Otherwise you would need to set it to 0644 usually (so that the the program can read from and write to it, but nobody outside the server can). In fact, since it doesn't get changed except manually after that, you could perhaps set it to 0600.

As for the chmodDir setting - is that enabled by default? I seem to remember it was commented out by default at one stage, however if it's enabled, you can change it to 0755 and that should be fine I would think.

It's also worth noting that this setting for folders only applies to folders that PW creates to store files for file or image fields for pages you create, not the whole system.

many thanks for this quick reply pete!

Is this XAMPP for Windows?

it is, but i was concerned about what to do when on a live server. your reply

Otherwise you would need to set it to 0644 usually
has clarified that.
As for the chmodDir setting - is that enabled by default?
. yes, it is. i'll go with 755 than on a live server, thanks.