Web designer gone; I need help changing home page.

AndreaPT

About a year ago, we had a small design group create a new website for my nonprofit organization using the ProcessWire platform.  In December, the lead guy announced he was taking a new job and dissolving his company.  I am the "expert" at updating the information that was set up as update-able by people unskilled in code-writing, etc. and have been able to change small things like the words within a button by copying and altering the code behind it.  (Took me a while to even find where to look!) but I have no access to the home page art work.  

We have the need to change a partner organization's logo that appears on the home page, but I have absolutely no access to the back side of that page, other than the text that appears.  

Is there any very remedial way someone could explain to me how I can get to the mechanisms behind the home page? 

Thanks for any help. 

Hey AndreaPT,

Do you have superuser access to the admin?

Do you have FTP access to the server (or via a cPanel file manager type interface).

Let me know about those and I'll see what I can do to put you on the easiest track to make the changes you need.

• Like 2

Unfortunately, only the designer gave himself super user status; I'm listed as "site manager".  The second question... I'm sorry, I'm already in the weeds.  I've shared it with our IT folks (who are overworked and understaffed,) to see if they have the answer.  

I really appreciate your quick response-- you ARE a hero!  When I have more info I'll let you know. 

Without superuser access we will need either FTP/file manager, or database access so we can edit the correct template file - I am assuming the developer has hardcoded the logo into the template code, rather than making it editable via the CMS.

OK-- yes, there is no access to any of the graphics or layout in the home page with the CMS; I had to one item to change before he left, (after the site launch,) and he had to do it...for a fee, of course.  

I'll see what the smarter folks here say about the FTP or database access and get back to you tomorrow.  Thanks again. 

Unfortunately, only the designer gave himself super user status

You have access to change text but not a logo ? So how do you access to change text ? As a user with lesser access rights ? The designer who has the admin login credentials has left and cannot be contacted again ? ? ? If that is true find a skilled white hat hacker to get into the database and let you reset admin access.

4 minutes ago, pwired said:

You have access to change text but not a logo ? So how do you access to change text ? As a user with lesser access rights ?

It sounds like the logo is hardcoded into head.php or main.php or something like that.

2 minutes ago, pwired said:

If that is true find a skilled white hat hacker to get into the database and let you reset admin access.

We don't need to start hacking anything just yet :) - we just need a login for the host (cPanel and/or FTP) and everything will be fine. If @AndreaPT's organization owns the domain and pays for the hosting, they should have those details somewhere.

• Like 1

If @AndreaPT's organization owns the domain and pays for the hosting, they should have those details somewhere.

If he owns the domain the hoster eventually will give new access to the database but this can be a frustrating id process depending on the hoster. Especially if the domain is not registered with the hoster but somewhere else. Speaking out of experience. I just find it strange that a designer who has the admin credentials leaves and then cannot be contacted again.

1 hour ago, pwired said:

I just find it strange that a designer who has the admin credentials leaves and then cannot be contacted again.

Let's focus on solving the problem without making too many assumptions.

• Like 8

Hi-- to follow up, I was able to finally track down the web designer (using my internet super-sleuthing skills) and request that he add a staff member as a superuser-- a member of our IT department.  He did so without a fuss.  

I appreciate everyone's input and willingness to help-- even Pwired....  :)  

• Like 6