Default frontend language

Cesco

Hi everyone

i'm new on ProcessWire. I download and install version 3 and it works very good. I choose multi-language site for my purpose and I install Italian language pack for admin. To set default admin language i choose it for admin user on setting menu and it works. I want to know if it's possible to set to default Italian language also for frontend. I try to set Italian language for guest user but don't work. I read something about a module, but i don't know i make it.

Can you help me ?

Thanks in advance.

Francesco

1 hour ago, Christophe said:

Hello,

You can add the Italian language pack as the "default" one, then create another English language without having to install any language pack.

I have to choose normal installation and after add language, is it correct?

17 minutes ago, Cesco said:

I have to choose normal installation and after add language, is it correct?

No need, @Cesco. You can do this on your current installation.

To use Italian as your default language on the frontend, and considering your want "example.com/" to open in Italian and "example.com/en/" to change to English, do the following:

1. As this is a new installation, and you have no real data yet, delete all languages but the default one, of course. 
  2. Change the default language title to Italiano
  3. Upload Italian translation files to it
  4. Create a new language, name "en", title "English"
  5. Edit the homepage and set the "en" language as active and the url as  "en".

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Sérgio said:

No need, @Cesco. You can do this on your current installation.

To use Italian as your default language on the frontend, and considering your want "example.com/" to open in Italian and "example.com/en/" to change to English, do the following:

1. As this is a new installation, and you have no real data yet, delete all languages but the default one, of course. 

Ok nice! thank you

• 6 months later...
On 21.3.2017 at 2:35 PM, Sérgio Jardim said:

Thanks al lot!!! This is the first howto I actually understood!

The only thing I noticed is, that if I change the name of a page in the default language(now not EN anymore), all other name fields are changed to the same value as well. Strange...

• 1 month later...
On 3/21/2017 at 2:35 PM, Sérgio Jardim said:

What if it's not a new installation but a site that's been on for quite some time, where I want the default to be 'nl' instead of English?

5 hours ago, BFD Calendar said:

What if it's not a new installation but a site that's been on for quite some time, where I want the default to be 'nl' instead of English?

Have you seen these?

https://processwire.com/talk/topic/11451-change-default-language-revisited/

or:

https://processwire.com/talk/topic/12743-using-an-empty-language-pack-as-the-default-front-end-language/?do=findComment&comment=116016

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 9.11.2017 at 2:11 PM, BFD Calendar said:

Can someone tell how one does these steps? How do you delete languages? I am sure it is simple but I just can't see it right now.

Any help would be appreciated @Sergio

Okay, I got it, I'm a dumbass. Its in Setup > languages  and then you just delete what is each textarea or text field and enter the text in the language you need. I was looking somewhere in the module settings for how to delete.

Thanks