PW 3.0.56: core updates + Uikit admin theme updates

ryan

Hi @ryan - spreading my feature suggestions around at the moment - sorry :)

What do you think about having a simple and more obvious way to replace the Page list in the main frame when the sidebars are displayed. I know we can do this other ways, but I feel like this will become a more sought after thing now. For example, for some sites I think it would be great to point to a ListerPro view for example, and I am sure there are lots of other possibilities now that the page tree doesn't have to be the main initial view.

• Like 4

@ryan Here is a sample in firefox. Just and FYI

The field list dropdowns have no initial "instruction" or default option in both chrome and firefox on all pages.

There is no highlight for the currently selected item in the sidebar in both chrome and firefox after lost focus.

The expand/collapse chevrons are not aligned in firefox. They appear correct in chrome.

Everything else looks fantastic! Looking forward to the release!

pw3.0.56firefox.png.c2bd98a0ca9fb0bfbd92050d4161e68b.png

• Like 1

(Copied from comments section - better to discuss this here.)

I really like the new approaches being taken here - big steps for ProcessWire. However, the first thing I noticed was the fact that I can easily have three page trees in a single view, using the left sidebar, the root admin page, and the right sidebar. I get how the additional access-points to the page tree are useful, but perhaps they should only become accessible as and when needed? So when on the root admin page, I should not be able to access the sidebar page trees. Though, I'm sure you're already aware of this and have a plan in motion... Just pointing it out because of how it jumped at me.

I also think the left sidebar should not be able to grow in size more than it needs to. Not sure what thresholds should be put in place, also giving consideration to mobile behaviour, but maybe 50% of the page width should be the limit.

From the Chrome side of things, all looks good here, except for the fact that "Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property '_wrapper' of undefined" is thrown when clicking on an item in the left sidebar.

The new <pw-region> works like a charm !! .. thanks so much Ryan! I'm so happy:frantics: !! ..This addition saves tons of time/code per year for me. If the FileCompilerTags could work fine, I would have my full-set of front-end tools ready  .. fantastic Saturday for me :-)

On 3/17/2017 at 7:10 PM, Ivan Gretsky said:

Looks bad! Even with no styling, it is now much more functional!

Surely it would look better with no styling? I'm sure when it comes to creating the actual theme, we will not aim to make it look worse. 

Great work Ryan, this is shaping up really well! Can't wait to get stuck in! 

1 hour ago, Tom. said:

Surely it would look better with no styling? I'm sure when it comes to creating the actual theme, we will not aim to make it look worse. 

Great work Ryan, this is shaping up really well! Can't wait to get stuck in! 

Maybe I didn't get it but I think Ivan means 'bad' as in 'awesome!' :).

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, Ivan Gretsky said:

Hey, @Tom.! It might sound weird, but the use of the word bad in this context actually means good. Like in Michael Jackson's "Bad". Sometimes  the meaning is lost in tanslation)

Forgive me for confusing you.

Haha, I actually knew this! Sorry, complete Sheldon Cooper moment there! :lol:

• Like 1

I feel like 580px for the sidebar is far too big, and that's the minimum. I feel like 380px would be far more comfortable. 

The view without the sidebars doesn't have the page breadcrumbs anymore. 

• Like 4

Just an idea (somehow related to this topic): maybe it could be useful to be able to change the processes that are running in those sidebars? So it will be possible to load the tree in the left sidebar or the right sidebar or in both or in neither? Or load something completely different there (a menu, new page bookmarks, so on). What do you think?

I mean controlling the process modules loaded in the panels.