Format messages for WireMail

modifiedcontent

How should messages for Wire or $mail->send() be formatted? There is some information here; you can send text and html versions, but there are no examples how to format those.

/n or /r/n etc. is ignored for the text version. What syntax should be used to get line breaks in the email?

For the html version, it would be nice if you could pull that from a field. For most emails you would need to be able to insert the recipient's name and other data. PHP variables don't work in field content.

Are there other ways to achieve this; replace a tag in the field body with data from php script in the template? Maybe with Hanna Code? Or is that what RuntimeMarkupField is for?

6 minutes ago, modifiedcontent said:

For the html version, it would be nice if you could pull that from a field, but in most emails you would need to be able to insert the recipients name and other things. PHP variables don't work in field content.

WireMail is there to send mails and not to care about what it's sending or how that markup is created. You can create the html markup, which should be sent, in whichever way you desire. It could be a page being rendered, there's wirePopulateStringTags() or you could stitch together strings in php. 

9 minutes ago, modifiedcontent said:

/n or /r/n etc. is ignored for the text version.

That doesn't sound right. 

• Like 2

That doesn't sound right.

/n/r? /n/n/r? /r/n/r? Either way, I use an obscure email client - Claws Mail - that often produces odd results. It is supposed to be a text-based client though.

Thanks for the wirePopulateStringTags() suggestion! Looking into that one now...

Edit: wirePopulateStringTags() works painless, perfect for this purpose. If you put something like this in any regular field...:

Hello {tagname},

Here is {anothertag} for you

...and this in your template...:

$fullname = 'Hannah';
echo wirePopulateStringTags($page->body,['tagname' => $fullname, 'anothertag' => 'more inserted content']); 

...it just works.

5 hours ago, modifiedcontent said:

I use an obscure email client - Claws Mail - that often produces odd results.

I'd really rather suspect that then WireMail not sending newlines. Still could be a bug in one of the 3.0 additions to wiremail.

• Like 1

Whatever field settings I used - with/without HTML Entity Encoder, CKEDitor/Textarea, txt/markup - I kept getting '&lt;p&gt;' or '<p>' in my emails. I finally got it working by using no Text Formatters + CKEditor + Markup and then put strip_tags() around the field in the template.

Not sure what that means and I may have missed a correct way to do it. I ran out of time/patience. This works for now.

• Like 2

On 12/03/2017 at 6:26 PM, modifiedcontent said:

Whatever field settings I used - with/without HTML Entity Encoder, CKEDitor/Textarea, txt/markup - I kept getting '&lt;p&gt;' or '<p>' in my emails. I finally got it working by using no Text Formatters + CKEditor + Markup and then put strip_tags() around the field in the template.

Not sure what that means and I may have missed a correct way to do it. I ran out of time/patience. This works for now.

Getting the same thing here, I followed this guide:

...everything works but I receive plain text emails with HTML tags in them. I'll try what you did see if I have some success. Thanks.

--EDIT--

Got it working now: