Module Settings Import / Export

adrian

Hi everyone,

This is the new official thread for the module that was previewed some time ago here: https://processwire.com/talk/topic/14117-module-settings-import-export/

Big thanks to @Robin S for help testing and feature suggestions!

http://modules.processwire.com/modules/module-settings-import-export/

https://github.com/adrianbj/ModuleSettingsImportExport

Module features

• Ability to copy and paste settings from one PW install to another
  • Optional automatic backup of module settings on uninstall and ability to restore settings if you reinstall the module
  • Backup current settings at any time
  • Restore backed up settings at any time
  • Import option checks module name and version number and warns if importing settings from a different version

58b8ad9a23726_ScreenShot2017-03-02at3_40_38PM.thumb.png.717f4237132356614a01d62e58c1889f.png

As always, let me know if you find any problems or have any suggestions!

• Like 20

Hi @adrian, thanks for releasing this module.  I really like the concept.  I can see this being installed on every site.  I was able to copy over my TracyDebugger configs and AdminOnSteroids configs successfully.

It may be premature to ask, but is there a way to copy the configs of multiple modules at one time like you can do when you export your field settings?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, gmclelland said:

Hi @adrian, thanks for releasing this module.  I really like the concept.  I can see this being installed on every site.  I was able to copy over my TracyDebugger configs and AdminOnSteroids configs successfully.

It may be premature to ask, but is there a way to copy the configs of multiple modules at one time like you can do when you export your field settings?

This is really the domain of 

although that module does still need a little attention.

That said, there might also be a place for it in this module - let me think on this a little more.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tpr said:

@adrian haven't you think about merging the two Module-related modules?

Yeah, I have and yesterday I decided not to because I didn't want to bloat this will all the tools available in Module Toolkit, but now I am second guessing that decision especially given that Module Toolkit is mostly a Process module so if you don't run it, it's not doing anything.

I'll think on this a little more - stay tuned :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Some new features just added. Yes, these are starting to get into the functionality provided by ModuleToolkit, but I am still playing with the user interface and workflow trying to find the most efficient scenario. Along with the interface that is added to each module's settings page, this screencap shows the new interface available from this module's settings page. It shows a list of all stored module setting backups and adds a new interactive interface for selecting modules whose settings you want to copy to another site. As you check/uncheck modules, their settings will be added to the Settings textarea ready to copy to another site. If you paste in settings from another site and check "Update All", these settings will be imported into this site. You can choose to be warned of version mismatches, or force the import anyway.

Let me know what you guys think - am I on the right track with this, or is the ModuleToolkit approach better, or is there room for both? I still may combine the functionalities of both modules, or maybe even create a service that lets you manage your modules and their settings across multiple sites from once central dashboard.

modulesettinsimportexoport.thumb.gif.1e91eabbda1ba14359ec57bb7d2b6148.gif

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
On 5/9/2017 at 8:27 AM, jmartsch said:

I think the two modules should be merged, as they both serve module specific tasks.

I might do that sometime when I have more time.

On another note, I have just fixed the automatic backup of settings on module uninstall feature. Apparently it wasn't working properly :) Anyway, I think it's really useful so you know you can easily restore settings after an uninstall - very useful for some of the more complex modules out there.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

Thanks for this nice module, you have created so far very useful modules, thank you again for all your contributions to Processwire.

One thing I noticed, this module does not work (modules not displayed) for modules who are not implementing the ConfigurableModule interfacce but are using the new module configuration described in here. https://processwire.com/blog/posts/new-module-configuration-options/

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, adrianromega said:

Hi

Thanks for this nice module, you have created so far very useful modules, thank you again for all your contributions to Processwire.

One thing I noticed, this module does not work (modules not displayed) for modules who are not implementing the ConfigurableModule interfacce but are using the new module configuration described in here. https://processwire.com/blog/posts/new-module-configuration-options/

Hi @adrianromega - thanks for the kind words and also for reporting this. Please test the latest version and let me know if that works ok for you. I also fixed a bug with the "Backed Up Settings" section on the config settings page for this module - where you can get the settings for all modules.

• 3 months later...

Hi @adrian,

Could you please make a small change in ModuleSettingsImportExport.js to avoid an undefined variable error in PW 2.x? On line 11:

var allModuleSettings = typeof ProcessWire !== 'undefined' && ProcessWire.config ? ProcessWire.config.allModuleSettings : config.allModuleSettings;

I think this might be all that's needed for PW 2.x compatibility (although I haven't tested extensively).

Thanks.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Robin S said:

Hi @adrian,

Could you please make a small change in ModuleSettingsImportExport.js to avoid an undefined variable error in PW 2.x?

Thanks @Robin S - I have made that change along with some code cleanup and making all the module setting strings translatable.

• Like 2