fieldtype for storing image reference

Mikel

HI guys,

I am wondering if I am to focused on the problem, so that I don´t see an obvious solution, or that there is no elegant solution... ;-)

Ok, here is the usecase:

I am building a template with only one image-field that collects all needed images for that page. Also there are several repeater matrix fields: One for each section of the page. In each repeater matrix there is the possibility to choose one of the pages images for displaying it as "fullwidth section image" on frontend. At the moment I am doing this with a textarea, which is prone to errors, due to wrong user input.

Is there another possibility to store an image reference as a textarea?

Hi, Zeka, thanks for the reply.

The goal is to upload about 30 to 50 images at once and then use them in individual sections of the page (template):
In "normal" textareas and in "special purpose" fields which actually just would need to store the image reference. With image fields you can only upload images, not choose already uploaded ones. (Or can you?)

You maybe could use my module FieldtypeSelectExtOption in this case.

1. install module
  2. create a field with this Fieldtype
  3. go to details tab of the new created field
  4. choose your preferred Inputfieldtype
  5. select the field holding your images as 'Source Table'
  6. save field
  7. select 'sort' for option value and whatever you want as 'label'
  8. set ther filter to 'pages_id = 1234' (1234 is a placeholder for the pages-id holding your image field and repeaters)
  9. save again
  10. add the field to your repeater matrix template
  11. done

Tell me if it works or if any problem occurs.

• Like 4

Hi, kixe, thanks for reminding me of your module!

It works the way you wrote, but I have one problem: The site we are working on is for a real estate company. The template in question must be reused for a lot of different projects. (=pages) 

So it does not work specifying the image field of only one page (filtering per id). The field created with your module should instead fetch all images of the page being edited. 

// tested only backend part
$this->addHookAfter('FieldtypeSelectExtOption::filter', function($e) {
    if ($this->wire('page')->template == 'admin') {
        if ($this->wire('page')->process == 'ProcessPageEdit') $id = $this->wire('input')->get->id;
        else return;
    }
    else if ($this->wire('page') instanceof RepeaterPage) $id = $this->wire('page')->getForPage()->id;
    else $id = $this->wire('page')->id;
    $e->return = "pages_id='$id'";
});

Edited by kixe
modified code: hook admin only if ProcessPageEdit
  • Like 4

Hi, kixe,

the backend is the only place where this is needed! But as I am actually a designer/part-time developer( with more or less growing knowledge of programming), could you please tell me where you placed the hook above? In a seperate module? Thanks!

18 hours ago, kixe said:

You maybe could use my module FieldtypeSelectExtOption in this case.

1. install module
  2. create a field with this Fieldtype
  3. go to details tab of the new created field
  4. choose your preferred Inputfieldtype
  5. select the field holding your images as 'Source Table'
  6. save field
  7. select 'sort' for option value and whatever you want as 'label'
  8. set ther filter to 'pages_id = 1234' (1234 is a placeholder for the pages-id holding your image field and repeaters)
  9. save again
  10. add the field to your repeater matrix template
  11. done

@kixe, when I try this (or use a hook to dynamically select a pages_id) there is always an option preselected in the inputfield. My SelectExternalOption field is not set to 'required'. Is it possible to have the first option in the inputfield blank (no selection)?

• 2 years later...

Hey @kixe, one question before trying this out: Is it possible to see image thumbnails to select from?

I have a use case where I need centralized stored icons and a select field for reference, that shows image thumbnails. Can I do that with your module?

• 1 month later...

@horst

Sorry for the very delayed answer. The module (FieldtypeSelectExtOption) is a fieldtype, not an inputfield. The fieldtype supports any Core Inputfieldtypes (Select, Radios, Checkboxes, SelectMultiple or ASMSelect) furthermore some 3d Party Inputfields like InputfieldChosenSelect. Read more about this in the README.md.

I don't know if there exists an Inputfield module which extends InputfieldSelect or InputfieldSelectMultiple showing icons or thumbnails to select from. Let me know if you find a solution.

• Like 1

@gmclelland here are screenshots of my use case and solution with the medialibrary module and the imagepicker module:

screen__imagepicker__with__medialibrary__1v2.thumb.png.050636bcaad874fec3e088e990ddb47f.png  screen__imagepicker__with__medialibrary__2v2.thumb.png.9bd9fc9c8160475749fb9c5cd34236bd.png

This is very nice solution. The site owner likes it. She can select completly visual. No distracting informations around. Just the icons. :)

• Like 2